Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Brewing again after 7 year hiatus

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2008, 07:47 PM   #1
brewtus_
I say, lookey here son...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Brewing again after 7 year hiatus

After taking too long off from brewing, I'm finally getting back to it. I'm thinking about switching from using glass carboys to the plastic "better bottle" carboys. I can see many benefits to using plastic (weight, shatterproof, etc.) but was wondering what people's biggest complaints are. Also, can my 5 gal. glass acrboy handles be used on the better bottle design or will I need new handles? Thanks in advance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2008, 08:17 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2757 Times on 1651 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Search is your friend....

A home brewing beer and wine making civilized discussion community. Also with beer/wine/mead/cider discussion, pub talk, and general chit-chat. - Search Results for better bottle vs carboy

Welsome back to the hobby!

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-12-2008, 02:27 AM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

The biggest problem people have with better bottles is heat. They cannot handle much over 150F.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 10-12-2008, 03:09 AM   #4
EdWort

Recipes 

Liked 266 Times on 139 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
The biggest problem people have with better bottles is heat. They cannot handle much over 150F.
Use only your hot tap water and you will be fine with them.

Old 10-12-2008, 12:52 PM   #5
fratermus
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Welcome back.

I have a BB and rarely use it. It is a joy to carry empty but it flexes like hell when full, even when in one of those nylon harnesses. Sucking sanitizer back through a 3pc or air back through a bubbler airlock probably isn't going to kill my beer but I find it annoying. I am also paranoid about cleaning it after fermentation; haven't scratched it yet but I am worried I will.

But BB will likely be the choice for many people going forward; while you were away [one of the ] main glass carboy makers quit making them, so supplies are down and prices are up.

Old 10-13-2008, 12:38 AM   #6
stevea1210
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I am slowly replacing my glass with BB's. Carrying heavy, large glass jugs filled with gallons of liquid after a few homebrews just doesn't seem to be the safest thing to me.

They are lighter, and safer, and with the current carboy supplies, cheaper in some cases.

BTW, welcome back to brewing, your yeasties missed you

You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel. - Homer Jay Simpson

Quick Reply