Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Brewhemoth Pressurized Ferment questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2013, 05:57 PM   #11
fakr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

you're right, especially with a 15-20GAL batch there would be way too much trub and yeast to collect on one of those.
With it filling up in the first day or two, you'd only be collecting trub anyway. It's not like you could clean it out and reattach it for a second dump as it would blow the air contained in the sight glass up through the beer. Guess I'll stick with a growler for collecting yeast.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 08:35 PM   #12
Jukas
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 22

As I haven't used my conical yet, this is completely academic.. but I woudnt at any point use a sight glass or other collection device immediately. I'd likely do an inital dump 2 or so days after fermentation starts to drop trub, and the early floculated yeast you don't wish to collect until I just start to see beer. Then put on the sight glass and wait for it to fiill. Then disconnect and save that for the next batch, and dump the rest prior to racking.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:55 PM   #13
fakr
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

yeah, I'll probably pass on the sight glass for catching yeast. too much hastle. Growlers work just fine.

Old 08-10-2013, 04:22 PM   #14
fakr
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I wanted to mention that a buddy of mine is now using sight glasses on the bottom of his brewhemoths, not for collecting yeast, but to help with only dumping trub and yeast, not beer.
He waits for the signt glass to fill, then opens the dump valve just a bit, until the sight glass is clear again. he can pull a 1/2 cup at a time, mostly trub\yeast, and not dump a bunch of beer with it.

The other thing I like about the sight glass is you can actually see fermentation activity. Pretty neat to watch.

Old 08-10-2013, 09:25 PM   #15
cfrazier77

Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakr View Post
I wanted to mention that a buddy of mine is now using sight glasses on the bottom of his brewhemoths, not for collecting yeast, but to help with only dumping trub and yeast, not beer.
He waits for the signt glass to fill, then opens the dump valve just a bit, until the sight glass is clear again. he can pull a 1/2 cup at a time, mostly trub\yeast, and not dump a bunch of beer with it.

The other thing I like about the sight glass is you can actually see fermentation activity. Pretty neat to watch.
This is what I do and it works really well. I have a butterfly valve below it. I spray it down with star san and then dump into sterilized quart mason jars. These then go in the fridge. I have reused this yeast many times with success. If it is not that old I let it warm and dump. If it is old, like a year, I build it up in a starter. For long term storage I wash the yeast.

Happy Dog Brewing

Old 08-21-2013, 10:43 PM   #16
pickles
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrazier77

This is what I do and it works really well. I have a butterfly valve below it. I spray it down with star san and then dump into sterilized quart mason jars. These then go in the fridge. I have reused this yeast many times with success. If it is not that old I let it warm and dump. If it is old, like a year, I build it up in a starter. For long term storage I wash the yeast.
You just let it get to room temp then pitch? Do you find that using this method trails mostly yeast or is there a decent amount of beer that settles out over time?

Old 08-22-2013, 03:25 PM   #17
cfrazier77

Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickles View Post
You just let it get to room temp then pitch?
It depends on how old the yeast is, the gravity and amount of the beer, and if I am busy/lazy the week before. I would say that I am half the time just warming and pitching and half the time using a starter. It is all stored at 34 degrees so it keeps pretty well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickles View Post
Do you find that using this method trails mostly yeast or is there a decent amount of beer that settles out over time?
It depends on how flocculent the yeast is and how long it had time to settle in the conical. For a 10 gallon batch I dump a pint every day once it is dropping. It comes out in a thick slurry and normally settles between 1/3 solid yeast and 2/3 beer to half and half. When I am not going to harvest a strain I pull of some yeast so that the racking port is clear and then leave it alone. By the time I transfer the yeast is almost solid, if comes out like paste with the constancy of Crisco.

Happy Dog Brewing

Quick Reply