Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Brewhemoth Fermentation Chiller/Heater

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2011, 08:36 AM   #11
SankePankey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefkeith View Post
Thanks, Sanke! If I remember correctly, don't you ferment under pressure? I was considering it, but I haven't researched it enough.
Yes. Loving it. You will too. It's a lifestyle choice.

I have the following from McMaster. I would definitely get a very finely adjustable PRV for pressure fermenting. You'll want to, say, increase by 1 PSI every other day... very fine adjustments. The brass screw type- off of a ball lock fitting PRVs are really just useful as either an air lock or for bleeding/counterpressure filling. For good pressure ferments, you'll want much more control than that. And you're going to want a good all SS pressure gauge (the nice ones are glycol filled) ganged off of the PRV to monitor that control.

The current "best option" fittings ala the pressure ferment thread are:

McMaster:

99045k46
for the 60 PSI valve (there's a 30 available too)

and

3795K132
for the glycerin filled 60PSI all SS pressure gauge (also a 30 available)

I spent about ~$80 for my adj-PRV. If I had to do it again, I might get the 30 PSIs in stead of the 60s. If you do FULL pressure ferments (so, up to 35 PSI at 68* ish) it will work great, but you definitely increase cell mutation/damage and reusing your yeast becomes less advisable. That nugget comes from Chris White thru email exchange. A reason to finish carbing with a tank when your cold crashing. I have done a couple batches that I went all the way up to 35PSI and the beer was great. Dumped the yeast. 15 PSI is around where you'd want to end a pressure ferment and save the yeast.

I have a 3 gallon corny ganged off of my primary that I put the spunding valve on for the entire ferment. This way no gunk in the spunding valve. I put 2 gas (short) corny dip tubes in the 3 gal corny so I can then push CO2 thru the whole chain while counterpressure filling from my primary. Schveet.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2011, 08:52 AM   #12
Chefkeith
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokonon View Post
What are you going to put in your water to keep it clean? Even though it won't come in contact with your beer, I'd worry about your water funking up
I put a few drops of iodophor in it, and it seems to be working well - no funk yet. I'm considering Star San, though. Not sure which would be best with stainless steel. I'll have to read back through the stickies.

For the other question: I don't sterilize the stainless cooling coil, I wash and sanitize just like you would with anything else in the brewery. Though, if it becomes an issue, I'll just toss it in the boil during the last five minutes.

Oh, and thanks for the info, Sanke!

Old 03-21-2011, 11:41 PM   #13
ericdlee
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just started my first lager yesterday with my brewhemoth. I have a similar setup where I am recirculating glycol out of my kegerator freezer. Temps are being controlled by a crestron automation system.

image-801741475.jpg   image-2750164807.jpg   image-304759020.jpg   image-676326045.jpg  
Old 03-22-2011, 01:28 AM   #14
Chefkeith

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Very nice!! I wouldn't think that would be enough glycol, but it seems to be doing a great job. I might consider a similar set up for summer use.

Thanks!

Old 03-31-2011, 02:57 AM   #15
Chefkeith

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

And my pump died today. Well at least it was chugging really hard but not pumping anything. I haven't really stressed it that hard, and it's basically brand new. The only thing I can think is that my iodophor laced water gets "slippery" after a while and the pump struggles with that?

Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon with pond pumps? Should I just clean it with PBW or Oxyclean? I don't have time to mess with it tonight, but I was just looking for ideas; my beer is getting cold!

Old 03-31-2011, 03:18 AM   #16
jbrookeiv
Beer Review Dude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefkeith
And my pump died today. Well at least it was chugging really hard but not pumping anything. I haven't really stressed it that hard, and it's basically brand new. The only thing I can think is that my iodophor laced water gets "slippery" after a while and the pump struggles with that?

Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon with pond pumps? Should I just clean it with PBW or Oxyclean? I don't have time to mess with it tonight, but I was just looking for ideas; my beer is getting cold!
No clue, what kind of pump was it? Looking at getting the same setup, so I'm interested in the details of your setup.

My Beer Review Blog: Beer Review Dude
My Craft Beer Social Network: Craft Beer Network

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrewtastic View Post
I think a more pertinent question is where is AB and Miller Coors getting all of their horse urine?
Primary: Belgian Pale Ale w. Brett | Saison | Mango Pulp Wine | Graff, 10 gal

Bottled / Kegged: Hopped Imperial Wheat | AK47 Pale Mild, BIAB | AHS 20th Anniv. IPA, No Chill | Apfelwein
Leftover IIPA, No Chill | All-Molasses Ale | BIAB Black IPA | BIAB Hoppy Stout | JAOM | RyePA

Old 07-26-2011, 08:15 AM   #17
StMarcos
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yeah that wasn't too clear - sorry. It was an external cooler, with a fan that blew across a transmission heat exchanger, and icewater in a coleman cooler pumped into the cooler. The cooler was external to a big expanded polystyrene box, which held the fermenter, fan, and t-cooler. This is what I used when I had blingman 14g conicals. Swapping out a couple of 2L bottles from my kitchen freezer each day was too much. Miss a day and the pump keeps running, heating the water, the box, and the beer, all while it is trying to cool it.

Kind of looking for a glass door Bev Air or True fridge atm.

Was thinking of using water or glycol with an internal chiller, and maybe using my kegerator as the chilling unit. Thing is though, you'd want to insulate the conical, and building a box around it would be just as easy as closely wrapping insulation around it (easier, really, and likely more efficient), but the box would make cleaning easier as you could remove the conical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefkeith View Post
St. Marcos, I'm confused, do you also have the internal chiller?

I'm hoping that I won't have to switch bottles every day. During the summer, that cooler has kept beer cold for five days.

If you do have the chiller, I would recommend switching to the hot water bath for heating instead of the light bulb. I believe it's more energy efficient, and you don't have to hide your fermenter away in styrofoam

Old 09-09-2011, 02:09 AM   #18
StMarcos
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 1

How's it working? Chillin'?

Old 04-04-2013, 04:01 AM   #19
iceroadbrew