Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Brewhemoth conicals?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2013, 02:52 AM   #821
erikrocks
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukas View Post
Hooked up and tested my CIP system for the first time today.. I definitely cannot use oxyclean in this.. way too much foaming Guess I'm going to have to go get some PBW.

The Hemoth didn't come with any documentation or care info.. do I need to do anything to passivate the stainless steel?
I'm going to ask the obligatory, "WhIch CIP pump did you end up going with" question...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2013, 04:43 AM   #822
cfrazier77
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Quote:
Hooked up and tested my CIP system for the first time today.. I definitely cannot use oxyclean in this.. way too much foaming Guess I'm going to have to go get some PBW.

The Hemoth didn't come with any documentation or care info.. do I need to do anything to passivate the stainless steel?
1 What water temp did you use? I use 130 degree water with one scoop per gallon. It is a small scoop, Sun brand generic from Walmart, The soak rate is scoops per gallon. With one scoop, heaping, I do not have a problem and I use a orange homer bucket too. If I go to 2 scoops I get foam problems. 1 scoop gets everything clean though.

They told me that they passivate them after all welding. You are good to go.

Old 02-14-2013, 05:41 AM   #823
Jukas
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikrocks View Post
I'm going to ask the obligatory, "WhIch CIP pump did you end up going with" question...
I used the ebay pump linked by cfrazier77 a few pages back. Honestly though, if I had to do it again, I'd probably go snag one of the 1hp dirty water sump pumps from Harbor freight and snag their $9 warranty on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrazier77 View Post
1 What water temp did you use? I use 130 degree water with one scoop per gallon. It is a small scoop, Sun brand generic from Walmart, The soak rate is scoops per gallon. With one scoop, heaping, I do not have a problem and I use a orange homer bucket too. If I go to 2 scoops I get foam problems. 1 scoop gets everything clean though.

They told me that they passivate them after all welding. You are good to go.
Hrm, I used approximately 1 level scoop per gal. My Oxyclean is the brand name, bought in bulk from Costco. I had 3gal +/- and approximately 3 level scoops and it foamed everywhere. My concern about cutting the solution further is in cleaning power which is why I was thinking of picking up some PBW.

I just used hot tap water from my kitchen sink.. thermometer says it's right about 133F.

Old 02-14-2013, 03:29 PM   #824
cfrazier77

Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Quote:

Hrm, I used approximately 1 level scoop per gal. My Oxyclean is the brand name, bought in bulk from Costco. I had 3gal +/- and approximately 3 level scoops and it foamed everywhere. My concern about cutting the solution further is in cleaning power which is why I was thinking of picking up some PBW.

I just used hot tap water from my kitchen sink.. thermometer says it's right about 133F.
I have been using 1/2 the soaking recommendation for all my brewing cleaning for quite a while. Corny's, car boys, buckets, kettles, conical. I have never had a problem with not getting cleaned. I have not had an infection either.

Old 02-20-2013, 07:13 PM   #825
Naz
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ok, so I went ahead and finally ordered mine on Monday. Their website says there's a 20 day lead time. About how long has it taken those that have one for theirs to arrive?

Old 02-20-2013, 07:16 PM   #826
Jukas
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrazier77 View Post
I have been using 1/2 the soaking recommendation for all my brewing cleaning for quite a while. Corny's, car boys, buckets, kettles, conical. I have never had a problem with not getting cleaned. I have not had an infection either.
I ran another test with 3gal of hot water, and 1.5 scoops of oxy. It foamed right to the top of the bucket but never went over. So at least for the first real cleaning attempt I'll try oxy, hopefully at .5 scoop per gal it's strong enough to remove the krausen ring/ferm residue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naz View Post
Ok, so I went ahead and finally ordered mine on Monday. Their website says there's a 20 day lead time. About how long has it taken those that have one for theirs to arrive?
I ordered mine late december and received it late Jan. I didn't bother to count, but it was extremely close to 20 business days. I never received a shipping email or tracking # just had a fedex guy show up with it one day.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:30 PM   #827
fakr
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Once you order one, they build it then ship it. Once they ship it, it's not long. The ones I ordered arrived within a couple of days after being shipped. Much sooner than I expected.

Old 02-23-2013, 10:31 PM   #828
thatjonguy
Now with 57.93% more awesome!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 16 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 406 Times on 290 Posts
Likes Given: 90

And get ready to spend! All kinds of cool toys to go with your new Brewhemoth...

"That little guy? Don't worry about that little guy."

Old 02-25-2013, 02:48 PM   #829
fakr
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hey Guys, pride aside, I want to mention that the shurflow pump I mentioned above just doesn't push enough to really clean the inside of the brewhemoth very well. I don't want anyone ordering one because I didn't update this thread. Cfrasier77 is correct about the GPM rating being too low.

I ended up going overboard and bought a flowtec 1/2HP high output sump pump that moves 4680GPH. it works very well, but wasn't a bargain buy kind of pump. Roughly $190.

Old 02-25-2013, 06:03 PM   #830
hellfaucet
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I ordered mine last Monday and am piecing together all my accessories from brewershardware.com right now before it ships.

Couple questions:

• I got an extra tri clover fitting right above the racking fitting, above the bottom cone. I was hoping to put a thermoeter on that fitting. Does anyone have any suggestions of which thermometer to use for this? I didn't want to run a super long thermowell from the top down, and was also hoping to use an analog thermometer, not digital. What's my best option?
  • Is a sight glass worth it as a yeast collector?

Quick Reply