Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Brewhemoth conicals?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2012, 08:09 PM   #601
nostalgia
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennie View Post
The cylinder part is only 15" long? That doesn't seem right to me. I bet it should be 25".
That's what it was last time I measured it. I could have been drunk at the time, so feel free to measure and let me know.

-Joe

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2012, 08:51 PM   #602
Lennie
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm at work but will double-check when I get home, just prior to having a cold one.

My wife would tell you I'm notorious for over-estimating the number of inches something is.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:16 PM   #603
Ben58
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 40

I was thinking of sewn for the barrel / top and with velcro for the cone. I like the idea of a cozy for the fermentors.

Old 01-10-2012, 01:46 AM   #604
Lennie
Recipes 

Joe, how about we split the difference? I measured 19" from the bottom edge of the cylinder to just above the top weld.

Ben I agree that a neoprene cozy is going to look pretty good on the Brewhemoth. With a thicker neoprene you could carve out the area where the legs fit for a snug fit all around. I guess a thinner material could be applied under the legs and letting them hold things down, but I don't know how much extra thread there is in those cap nuts.

Old 01-10-2012, 03:23 AM   #605
nostalgia
Recipes 

Lennie,

Yeah I measured today and came up with 19ish. About 20 to the part of the top where it starts to flatten out. So I'll go with 20 and get...

1490.7161 sq in, or 10.3522 sq ft.

-Joe

Old 01-10-2012, 01:22 PM   #606
Lennie
Recipes 

So one of the 48"x80" sheets would be more than enough. Might even make a cornie cozy while I'm at it.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:23 PM   #607
Bruwsomtin
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just got my Brewhemoth today...dont know why I waited so long. Planning on drilling a hole in the 4" cap to weld me in a thermowell..

Old 01-10-2012, 06:49 PM   #608
Bokonon
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwsomtin View Post
Just got my Brewhemoth today...dont know why I waited so long. Planning on drilling a hole in the 4" cap to weld me in a thermowell..
That's what I had done with mine. I've got the internal chillers on mine and figured if I was going to have to remove that to clean I might as well only have one piece.

I'm thinking of adding some kind of handle to the cap to make it easier to remove without having to use the chiller tubes as a handle

Old 01-10-2012, 07:35 PM   #609
Lennie
Recipes 

The only thing about running the thermowell down from the lid is when you do smaller batches, you need a really long thermowell. If you ran it in the racking port it wouldn't need to be very long and would be positioned towards the bottom of the fermentor. Of course until I get a fridge for this bad boy I really don't need the thermowell since my own weak version of a chiller isn't really doing anything more than removing the ferm heat. At first I wondered why it wasn't working, then I reallized that the relative amount of surface area on the coil vs the amount on the surface of the Brewhemoth, was probably similar. So I have ambient air contacting the outside of the Brewhemoth, and water thats maybe 20F colder than internal running through the coil. No way that water is going to make much of a difference in the internal temp unless I insulate the conical. That is what I'm considering now, using some 3/4" neoprene to make a conical cozy.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:38 PM   #610
nostalgia
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennie View Post
The only thing about running the thermowell down from the lid is when you do smaller batches, you need a really long thermowell. If you ran it in the racking port it wouldn't need to be very long and would be positioned towards the bottom of the fermentor.
Also, if you use a tee on the top 1" tri-clamp port and a 24" thermowell, the thermowell hits the chiller coils.

Ask me how I know I think I'm going to try a tee on the racking port with a thermowell there. We'll see how the logistics work out once I get my current batch out of the fermenter.

-Joe

Quick Reply