New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Brewhemoth conicals?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2011, 01:09 PM   #551
cfrazier77
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 48

The main things that I can think of that can improve beer by using a conical are these. 1, you can get rid of the trub in less than 24 hours. 2, you can prevent the beer from having any oxygen contact from the beginning of fermentation till serving, including transferring under pressure into a sealed purged keg.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2011, 01:11 PM   #552
Lennie
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

There are a few aspects that I'm hoping will improve my beer at least slightly. These are all related to the ability of the vessel to hold at least a little pressure, so I suppose they are specific to Brewhemoth and maybe Blichmann.

The first is an airtight, pressurizable setup that will let me to counterpressure transfer to kegs. I've ignored the potential for oxidation for a long time, and some of my beers have suffered. You can limit it in other ways, this is just the most complete way to avoid air.

The second involves being able to carbonate or mostly carbonate using the natural carbonation generated during fermentation. This saves gas, and goes hand in hand with #3.

Third is pressurized fermentation. This is covered in a long thread in the techniques section of the forum, but to summarize a little pressure stimulates yeast to work faster and at slightly higher temps. 7psi is similar to what a large commercial fermentor's head exerts on the yeast.

Bottom line, I've longed to get the same super malt flavors that good craft brews bring, and I'm hoping the Brewhemoth will help me get there. I'm also utilizing secondaries and racking just after the peak of fermentation while bringing most of the yeast along, this gets rid of the head space needed (I don't like blowoff tubes) for krausen and allows the beer to mature with little air exposure.

Old 12-17-2011, 04:48 PM   #553
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'm starting to really like the idea of buying one of these eventually. I think the sediment issue could be solved with a vibrating massage wand on the cone part to slowly coax the yeast completely down the 45* angle. I like that these will hold carbonating pressures even at higher ale fermentation temperatures as well. I think this is a nice piece of equipment.

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

Old 12-17-2011, 09:32 PM   #554
SankePankey
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WortMonger View Post
...vibrating massage wand .... I think this is a nice piece of equipment.
That's what she said.

Old 12-17-2011, 11:07 PM   #555
Lennie
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Woah, massage wand. Multiple uses.

Wortmonger, I'm doing my inaugural batch as a pressurized fermentation with natural carbonation thanks to your mega-thread. Or is it a threadhemoth?

Old 12-18-2011, 01:12 PM   #556
Lennie
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Big Unit is loaded with 11.5gal of wort and when I checked this morning the spunding valve showed 5psi. We're off and running. I don't know if anyone has tried fermenting under pressure in a Brewhemoth, I intend to run at 7psi for a few days then bump to 15psi, then I'll harvest yeast and go to 30psi for carbonation. All in the Brewhemoth, I hope it will take the pressure. I may pressurize it for carbonation using my CO2 tank, I'd rather know the beer was finished than have naturally carbonated green beer.

Next step is buying a pump or figuring out how to get wort into the Brewhemoth conveniently. Holding 6gal of wort in a bottling bucket up at the 4" triclamp opeing while it runs in, has no future. I did batch two in two increments, that was less strenuous but still annoying.

Old 12-18-2011, 02:41 PM   #557
DaleP
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Lennie, your Brewhemoth was leak checked at 160 psi. You will have no worries.

Old 12-18-2011, 02:53 PM   #558
RiverCityBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've been pressure fermenting in mine since I received it earlier this year with no issues. Its very nice to be able to do closed transfers under counter pressure and completely avoid the issue of oxygen exposure during transfer. I think you will find, as I have, that my beers have improved in part due to no oxygen pickup but also in part due to the pressurized fermentation.

Old 12-18-2011, 03:25 PM   #559
pjcampbell
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

What would happen if you just let it build the pressure on it's own? Would you still get the benefits of fermenting under pressure and how far would it go up to in a week or so?

Old 12-18-2011, 05:50 PM   #560
RiverCityBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 2

That is generally what I do, pump in at 0psi then set the spunding valve to about 5-10psi and let it build on its own. Some people do it differently but this has worked well for me. I would not let pressure build uncontrolled, excess pressure will eventually start harming the yeast. I generally cap mine when I am about 5 or so points from my FG and that is enough to build up 20+ psi.

Quick Reply