Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Brewhemoth conicals?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2011, 04:00 AM   #541
Lennie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I just related a testimonial about the angle thing, and commercial breweries use 45 degree fermentors too. Do you have a big problem with this in your current fermentor?

I don't think the steel thickness is a lot different, I was pleasantly surprised at how light the Brehemoth was. The difference is in the seal at the top, I don't like the looks of the Stout lids and the closure design. I think it won't seal well. Plus the add-ons for the Brewhemoth are excellent, although that adds to the cost. Bottom line, the quality of the Brewhemoth is better than a low end conical. Hard to believe they were so inexpensive to begin with. They're competitive at a similar price point.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2011, 04:23 AM   #542
EBloom97
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennie View Post
I just related a testimonial about the angle thing, and commercial breweries use 45 degree fermentors too. Do you have a big problem with this in your current fermentor?
I guess I was just expecting it to get ALL the yeast out., i.e. I put the beer in the fermenter and after a couple weeks I open the bottom valve, drain the yeast, and then begin a secondary fermentation without having to rack. I was expecting to be able to do this, and I can, but it won't get rid of as much sediment as a re-rack. Maybe it wouldn't be super clean with a 60 degree cone either. I don't know.

You definitely have a point with the lid looking flimsy on the stout tanks, but I do find the 4 inch lid on the brewhemoth to be too small to give it a good hand or even brush scrubbing. So it has upsides and downsides.

Old 12-16-2011, 06:21 PM   #543
cfrazier77
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 70

I have not had a problem dumping trub and yeast out of my Brewhemoth. I clean it with a CIP sprayball so the 4" lid is a plus and not a negative.

Old 12-16-2011, 06:43 PM   #544
Lennie
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Do you even need to dump yeast prior to racking? Since the racking port is up on the side.

I might try tapping the conical with a rubber mallet every so often to help the yeast slide on down to the bottom.

Old 12-16-2011, 07:03 PM   #545
pjcampbell
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So do you have problems with sediment in the beer when you rack . What is your procedure? Do you dump and then rack.. or just rack?

Stupid question, but if you dumped first, why couldn't you just rack from the bottom valve?

FWIW I was told that the Stout tanks are not designed to hold pressure.

I don't have either so I am just relaying what I have heard.

Old 12-16-2011, 07:04 PM   #546
nostalgia
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 8

'Need' is very subjective I dump mostly to save the yeast for the next batch, but really it just needs to be below the racking port to get a clean rack.

I've seen commercial breweries with both 45 and 60 degree cones. It's not something that even entered into my conical purchase consideration.

But then everyone has their own criteria, however arbitrary it may be I wanted something made in America. Fairly arbitrary, but it's my reason and I stuck with it.

-Joe

Old 12-16-2011, 08:38 PM   #547
EBloom97
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I'm saying that I bought this product thinking that it would help me circumvent racking entirely, but still allow for secondary fermentation in the primary vessel after a yeast dump. The 45 degree cone makes that difficult, although maybe the 60 degree cone would have the same problem. Maybe it was just a pipe dream of mine for it to work that way.

The fact that the brewhemoth can hold pressure and the stout tank can't is a HUGE advantage. I'll have to ponder that one. Of course, if I'm going to carb in my conical, I'll want the beer to be clean and sediment free first, so same problem as before...

Old 12-16-2011, 08:48 PM   #548
FSR402
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBloom97 View Post
I'm saying that I bought this product thinking that it would help me circumvent racking entirely, but still allow for secondary fermentation in the primary vessel after a yeast dump. The 45 degree cone makes that difficult, although maybe the 60 degree cone would have the same problem. Maybe it was just a pipe dream of mine for it to work that way.

The fact that the brewhemoth can hold pressure and the stout tank can't is a HUGE advantage. I'll have to ponder that one. Of course, if I'm going to carb in my conical, I'll want the beer to be clean and sediment free first, so same problem as before...
With a 60* cone it allows the racking port to be further away from the bottom. My fist dump pulls out 3/4 of a gallon of trub and yeast. The cone on the BH only leaves about 2 cups once the racking port is drained all the way. If the cone was longer you would be able to rack from above the yeast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cad View Post
Its nice when you and your friends have comparable equipment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker-san View Post
some people will tap anything that has a hole.
Buy Two Fisted Brewing gear

Old 12-17-2011, 02:32 AM   #549
Bruwsomtin
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Does a conical fermentor produce a far superior beer as to fermenting in a glass carboy? For example, would a 38.5 pt BJCP judged beer score higher if it were fermented in a conical?

Old 12-17-2011, 01:13 PM   #550
anthropod
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwsomtin
Does a conical fermentor produce a far superior beer as to fermenting in a glass carboy? For example, would a 38.5 pt BJCP judged beer score higher if it were fermented in a conical?
Not only would it score higher, but the beer would help treat gout, male pattern baldness, sudden diarrhea, and other ailments.

Jokes aside, I can make some really bad beer in my conical! I'd love to tell you all the money I spent on a hunk of stainless has let me make better beer, but I don't know if I can.

For me, my conical makes my job easier (no secondary), allows me to have 20gal batches, helps me with samples, and makes me look like I know what I am doing when I don't.

Great beer can be fermented in just about anything I guess. While I love my brewhemouth, I think the most important item I have that controls the quality of my beer is my fermentation chamber for temp control. (an upright freezer).

But I could be dead wrong.. What do others think?

Quick Reply