Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Brewhemoth conicals?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2011, 01:13 PM   #531
Lennie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I just won the grand prize in the raffle at the St Louis Brews Holiday Homebrew Competition. It was a Brewhemoth with all the bells and whistles (tri-clamps, pressurizer, chiller coil, even valves for a ready-to-go rig). Thanks to Josh and Dale for the fantastic donation.

After reading this entire thread, I realize that several of you helped to develop this product to its current refined state. I'm quite excited to take it on its maiden voyage, and equally excited to use it to try closed-system pressurized fermentation. I just have to build a spunding valve and put it on the pressurizer attachment. Temp control will wait till spring, the basement is nice and cool right now. When it warms up I'll get a small pump and use my keezer to chill a glycol reservoir (bucket).

I've been bragging this around a bit and figured you all might best understand just how freaking lucky I feel right now.

Old 12-13-2011, 06:46 PM   #532
DustyTheBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Sigh... Just saw the price jump. Back to the drawing board...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2011, 02:01 AM   #533
Lennie
Recipes 

Heres my Brewhemoth, getting it set up. Have the spunding valve on it and to the left is the wine cooler that I'm going to try to use for temperature control.

brewhemoth-1.jpg  

Old 12-15-2011, 11:37 PM   #534
EBloom97
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyTheBrewer View Post
Sigh... Just saw the price jump. Back to the drawing board...
I just came on to comment on this. When did this happen? I bought a triclamp Brewhemoth in August for $450. I was thinking of getting a second one, only to find that the price had gone up almost $200.

No disrespect meant to these guys, but just as an FYI for anyone considering this product, I would say it's no longer worth the money. For one, it has a 45 degree cone. Most other conicals have a steeper (60 degree) cone, which drains the trub and the yeast more effectively. I imagine other conicals are easier to clean too because they don't have such a narrow lid/cover. My two cents.

Old 12-15-2011, 11:51 PM   #535
Bruwsomtin
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ebloom, would you buy another one if they were still the same price as before?

Old 12-16-2011, 12:26 AM   #536
Lennie
Recipes 

I was just reading someone complaining about yeast getting stuck on the conical section of a V-vessel, those are a much more scute angle and yet the same problems exist. I don't think the conical angle is a reason to criticize this fermentor. I personally like the 4" tri-clamp opening because I'm going to do some pressurized fermentations in it.

I just bought a small fountain pump and hooked it up to the chiller coil, it pumps somewhat slowly but will do the trick for temp control. Not completely set up but I'm ready to brew, thinking my inaugural beer will be a black IPA.

Old 12-16-2011, 12:48 AM   #537
bowhuntah
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwsomtin View Post
I can't speak for him but I would not. I was ready to buy two before the price jump. I'm looking at Stout conicals now. Maybe someone here with some fabrication experience will see this as a business opportunity.

Old 12-16-2011, 01:46 AM   #538
Lennie
Recipes 

The Stout conicals look to me like they are around the same price for the volume at the new price when you count the cost of valves, but DEFINITELY of lesser quality. EBloom wouldn't you agree with this?

The 4" triclamp top isn't a factor if you're pumping over your wort and using CIP, who doesn't do this at these volumes?

I understand seeing a fantastic deal go away, but take a breath and evaluate the new reality objectively. If you want to brew up to a half barrel of beer, with the optinos of temp control, pressurized fermentation and counter-pressure transfer, the Brewhemoth is the way to go.

Old 12-16-2011, 03:26 AM   #539
EBloom97
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwsomtin View Post
Yes, I would. I would even pay more than $450 for it, but not $190 more.

Old 12-16-2011, 03:32 AM   #540
EBloom97
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennie View Post
The Stout conicals look to me like they are around the same price for the volume at the new price when you count the cost of valves, but DEFINITELY of lesser quality. EBloom wouldn't you agree with this?

The 4" triclamp top isn't a factor if you're pumping over your wort and using CIP, who doesn't do this at these volumes?
The only thing I know about stout conicals is that when I was looking into this in August, they were backlogged until December. That was the main factor that made me go with the brewhemoth. As to the quality - I would say if it is stainless steel, and has triclamp fittings, it is of high quality. The brewhemoth might be a bit thicker I guess, which could be valuable...

The main thing for me is the cone angle though. I have never used the 60 degree cone stuff, but I read that the cone angle is enough to make yeast slide down it. So for me, if the two products are the same price, and one has a 60 degree cone, the other a 45 degree cone, then I want the one with the 60 degree cone.

Quick Reply