Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Brewhemoth conicals?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2011, 03:44 AM   #491
thatjonguy
Now with 57.93% more awesome!
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 13 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 307 Times on 213 Posts
Likes Given: 49

I was pricing out the Brewhemoth (tri clover) against a Blichmann. I only do 10 gallon batches and don't see that changing anytime soon (if ever).

Blichmann 14.5 with Pro option (all fittings included): $829.00 plus free shipping (if you look around)

Brewhemoth Tri clover (new price): $639.00 without fittings plus free shipping
--add fittings that come with Blichmann (incomplete list, as I could not find a racking arm and other assorted parts): $191.20 (brewershardware.com)

Brewhemoth total with parts: $830.20 (not including shipping for parts)

I don't know about you guys, but the price jump (I completely understand it) as pushed me back to a Blingmann (darn).

Last edited by thatjonguy; 11-16-2011 at 03:45 AM. Reason: Made it easier to compare

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2011, 09:14 AM   #492
StMarcos
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'd still get the bh. Pressure capable, no weldless stuff, and 1/2bbl capable. Disassembling and sanitizing all the blingmann stuff, inc the threaded bits and teflon tape, was always a big part of brewday. I don't miss my bingmanns one bit.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:38 AM   #493
kenlock
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatjonguy View Post
I was pricing out the Brewhemoth (tri clover) against a Blichmann. I only do 10 gallon batches and don't see that changing anytime soon (if ever).

Blichmann 14.5 with Pro option (all fittings included): $829.00 plus free shipping (if you look around)

Brewhemoth Tri clover (new price): $639.00 without fittings plus free shipping
--add fittings that come with Blichmann (incomplete list, as I could not find a racking arm and other assorted parts): $191.20 (brewershardware.com)

Brewhemoth total with parts: $830.20 (not including shipping for parts)

I don't know about you guys, but the price jump (I completely understand it) as pushed me back to a Blingmann (darn).
I understand where you are coming from, but I would make the same choice again.

It's built like a tank and you have flexibility of tri-clover set-up/parts for your situation. I don't believe you need a racking arm given the outlet positions. Also, the ability to pressurize overcomes it's need, with the option of using it as a bright tank.. Soon they will have a CIP fitting for easy cleaning.

The ability to do 20 gal batches is a definite plus. Whilst most of us don't ever figure doing so, the option is handy. Sometimes life gets in the way of brewing or an event comes along, so being able to do a large batch to fill 4 kegs is a plus. Great for lagers.

Overall, my preference, regardless of the new price, is the Brewhemoth. Just wish it didn't cost $200+ for shipping down under.

My 2c

Old 11-16-2011, 02:24 PM   #494
cfrazier77
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 66

One big difference between Blichman and Brewhemoth, and Stout for that matter, is cooling. Brewhemoth has a chiller option and the others do not. If you have a freeze or fridge big enough to house a conical then this is not much of an issue. I did not have a freezer this big and I wanted to be out so I went with Brewhemoth.

Old 11-16-2011, 04:15 PM   #495
ThatGuyRyan
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

Default Mine with Tri Clovers all around.

I just got all my parts in yesterday so its soaking with PBW now. I will say it’s not perfect but I really don’t see any major issues with these conicals. The fit and finishes could be better IMO. Like everyone who has one will tell you there are some areas where the outside was hit with a grinder here and there and on the front there are some deep scratches at the top bend in the dome that I don’t believe I will be able to polish out but time will tell. Even so it’s just a few scratches and it will get scratched and dented sooner or later. Some of the welds are better than others but I didn’t find any pitted or rough welds yet only minor discoloring from the welding process that I will work on next. I would have to agree that the stand legs could be better. The paint on them had runs all over and the nut welded on for the adjustment feet just seem like it would be the weakest link on the unit to me but they said they tested them so we will see. I would also rather have 4 legs to make it more stable. To me it’s mostly cosmetic issues and once I polish it that should take care of these issues so not a big deal. All in all it seems like a deal to me and I can’t wait to get my first batch in it. Only problem is that I dropped my March pump last week and cracked off the outlet! Filling this without my pump will be interesting!

And if you want to compare these to Blichmann I would compare it to the larger one not the 14 gallon since you are limited to 10 batches in those. With this being 22 gallons you can easily do 15+ and the last time I looked at the 27 gallon Blichmann Tri Clover it was about $1100.

shat happens

Old 11-17-2011, 03:48 AM   #496
StMarcos
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 24 Posts

On my cooling trial I made the lines too short. I had a hard time getting the chiller out without tilting the fermenter towards the freezer. This brings up the question... Would it be better to disconnect the chiller from lines each time, risking glycol spillage, or to leave it attached, and somehow clean and sanitize near the freezer? I use 5050 glycol held near -10F. It never gets that low when the pump is working during a chilling experiment though....

Old 11-17-2011, 01:02 PM   #497
nostalgia
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by StMarcos View Post
This brings up the question... Would it be better to disconnect the chiller from lines each time, risking glycol spillage, or to leave it attached, and somehow clean and sanitize near the freezer?
I actually disconnect mine from the pump end, since my cooling liquid is very close to the chiller.

What I'd like to do is put some self-sealing quick-connects on the lines, like the kind you'd use for compressed air. Like these guys here:

Amazon.com: 5 piece Air Compressor SOLID BRASS QUICK CONNECT Coupler SET UNIVERSAL FIT: Home Improvement

I'm thinking a 90 degree fitting that goes from 1/4" compression to 1/4" pipe would go on the chiller tubes. Then you could thread the quick-connects on.

One of these:

-Joe

Old 11-17-2011, 01:30 PM   #498
Layne
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Is there a 'plug and play' chiller option yet?
What are most people using for a chiller.
I'd want something that looks clean and professional for my brewroom.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:54 PM   #499
Shockerengr
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne View Post
Is there a 'plug and play' chiller option yet?
What are most people using for a chiller.
I'd want something that looks clean and professional for my brewroom.
Mine's a custom glycol unit (gutted a fridge to make a glycol chiller) I haven't seen many plug-n-play units, but a suggestion would be to look at the glycol chillers they make for people running large saltwater aquariums, they should be about the right size.

You'll still have to do some building though.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:52 PM   #500
Bokonon
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockerengr View Post
Mine's a custom glycol unit (gutted a fridge to make a glycol chiller) I haven't seen many plug-n-play units, but a suggestion would be to look at the glycol chillers they make for people running large saltwater aquariums, they should be about the right size.

You'll still have to do some building though.
The aquarium chiller is probably a good suggestion. Another really good one is a glycol beer line chiller like micromatic sells. Sometimes you can find them really cheap locally

Quick Reply