Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Brewhemoth conicals?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2010, 04:26 AM   #41
ubermick
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 8

SMALLER SIZE!!!

I know it goes against the Brewhemoth name, but while the 15 gallon capacity is awesome for the folks who have... erm, 15 gallon systems, most of us are stuck in garages with fridges and tight spaces. A smaller one to go toe to toe with the Blichmann and Morebeer 14.5 gallon models will appeal to everyone, since by far the biggest size seems to be 10 and 5 gallon batches. (I'd absolutely jump on one, but my fermentation chamber can handle a max of 40" when I figure a little space for maneuvering, so that forces me away from you guys and makes me have to look at Blingmann and the like)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2010, 06:48 AM   #42
SankePankey
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts

I have a bottom dump on my converted sanke fermenter and I totally get enough yeast out the bottom without any tapping. It's obviously nowhere near a 60* cone or a 45*.

I'm starting to believe that the healthier yeast is less viscous anyways and it settles into the center better than the sticky trub on the sides (maybe that's wishful thinking, but it kinda looks like that when I open er up).

+1 for wanting a pressurizable version. I would do away with the top port thing in favor of a 4" Tri-clamp ferrule weld (like my fermenter) so you could then have a top 4" cap with corny posts and a pressure relief valve and/or thermowell.

Old 12-16-2010, 11:20 AM   #43
Tigeranteater
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am the new PROUD owner of the Brewhemouth from The Happy Holiday Homebrew Competition! I should have it by tomorrow and should be putting it to good work making an Oktoberfest this weekend. I was looking to expand my capacity and well this is perfect. Josh and Dale are really great guys and I can not wait to see their product and put it to good use. I just might have to rebrew that Dunkel soon!
Steve

Old 12-16-2010, 12:18 PM   #44
Red Clay

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I'm hoping that 'chillier' comment was referring to a temp controlled (maybe jacketed?) fermentor. When you get that worked out I'm definitely in!

How do you guys who have one feel about the ability to top crop and/or clean? Is the port on top big enough?

Old 12-16-2010, 06:40 PM   #45
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEBrew View Post

We are considering one in the future, but we have more "chilling" things to work on first! And yes...that was a hint of what we are working on.
Cheers!
Thanks Josh, sounds like a "chilling" great idea coming down the pike.
I'll have to wait and see before ordering another ferm. #10.

Old 12-16-2010, 07:06 PM   #46
SankePankey
Recipes 

Yeah, you can get 15gal corny dip tube (which is 35" long) and cut it to length as u see fit. I'd do away with the bottom racking port in that configuration. With mine I have no desire for such as my dip tube reaches the appropriate location. And that means that the bottom dump is the only weld below the beer line. Nice.

I'll take a pic of my triclamp top when I get home. A 4" cap gives u enough room for 2 corny posts, a thermowell and a prv at the same time, no doubt. I use the gas out post for blowoff.

Old 12-16-2010, 07:29 PM   #47
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Cool, i'd like to see a picture to get an idea for my tri-cap top.

Old 12-16-2010, 07:37 PM   #48
ubermick
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 8

SankePankey, this is what you have, if I'm not mistaken?

Old 12-16-2010, 09:18 PM   #49
Kally
Recipes 

a 4 inch tri-clamp on top is a great idea. I wonder how that alters the price. 4" tri-clamp stuff can get expensive. But I suppose that would save the clamp and machined top for a more industry standard setup.

Cleaning isn't bad. I think Dale and Josh both hand clean theirs fine. I hand cleaned mine once and didn't have any issues. I use the clean-in-place setup now, so it's super easy.

Old 12-16-2010, 09:57 PM   #50
SankePankey
Recipes 

Oh, cool. He's got a new website.

Yes this is what I have. I absolutely love it. Having the cap like this with ALL the ports on it means that every port (besides the bottom dump) is easily removable and hence easily boil-able in the HLT to sanitize.

I should have gotten a PRV port added on the cap, but to jerry rig I put one on the gas in line instead. You can get the following (also pictured below) PRV's at several different pressure ratings from major suppliers- 40, 60, etc.. As you can see on my cap, there is plenty of room to weld a 1/4" female NPT port on the cap to screw one of these into.

I use the gas out as a blow-off, but not exactly as he has pictured. I have a couple custom welded fittings (corny posts welded to tri-clamp caps...what I'm holding) for that purpose. Also, this way I can do pressure ferments with a blow-off vessel attached. And, I basically have threadless in and out of my primary, since every thread is past an o-ring, on the outside. Savvy? My method is to use the 3 gal corny for a blow-off vessel/top cropper with the following fitting I'm holding - plus another on the corny as pictured. Then I detach from the primary and put the blow-off tube on the bottom dump tri-clamp and collect bottom yeast in the same vessel - hopefully thereby getting a full spectrum of yeast. I then put the post back on and attach my adjustable pressure relief valve (already on in the picture) to the gas out and ramp up internal pressure after high krausen to capture as much natural carb as I can.

IMO, the brewhemoth's need to be at least 35 PSI pressurizable to compete with what I can do with this. As I mentioned, the cone is so over-rated... not that it wouldn't be great to have, but..... not worth Morebeer prices. NEEDing a 60* cone (on the probrew scale) is all about the hydrostatic pressure (meaning the sheer weight of the volume) in a 15 bbl+ ferm vessel 'cooking' the yeast cake and making it un-viable and has nothing to do with anything on a homebrew scale (provided you can get enough yeast out the primary conveniently and sanitarily...the only other purpose). I do also have something similar to Kally's method of bottom dumping on mine. I have a tri-clamp elbow and a butterfly valve. The tri-clamp elbow is a nice reservoir for yeast to settle into.... ensuring a nice dump should you do one every other day or such.... like in a brewery.

I must say that I'm happy to check out Brewhemoth. Hadn't seen it till now. Good on ya fellas. I can't wait to see what you do for cooling. BUTTT..... please understand that the pressure thing is where you could score against all the other conical manufacturers. There is simply nothing on the homebrew market that is a truly a uni-tank (which mine is)... and also conical. I'm sure those vessels will rate well- they certainly look like it. Test em, rate em.... git-r-done. Being pressurizable is the difference between a 'fermentation vessel' and a 'uni-tank'.

img_0716.jpg   09c03231.jpg  

Quick Reply