Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Brewhemoth conicals?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2011, 07:23 PM   #441
nostalgia
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I would think 3/8" studs should be plenty for 20 gallons - that's what, only 167 lbs? As long as the welds on the studs are good, I would trust one 3/8" bolt with my body weight. Hell I've done it plenty of times rock climbing with far less than a weld separating me from a fast fall and short stop

I'm considering sanitizing my Brewhemoth with boiling water before filling with wort. I've got an electric HLT and always have spare hot water left over that I could push to boiling and pump into the fermenter via a spray ball. It'd lose some heat during the pumping and spraying, but I believe it would still be well above flash pasteurization temps, which would kill anything in the weld nooks and crannies.

I'll have to run it with the thermowell in and see how hot things get.

-Joe

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2011, 10:24 PM   #442
DaleP
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I soak mine in Wally Worlds version of Oxyclean for a few hours while brewing. A splash of Starsan before filling is all I do. Have between 20 and 30 batches in mine, #2 prototype, have had no problems!

Old 09-14-2011, 11:17 PM   #443
Bruwsomtin
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

would you agree that the brewhemoth is a non-sanitary unit due to the unpolished welds? Also is it worth the extra $590.00 for the weldless fermentator by Blichmann. Looks like the fermentator is a heck of alot easier to clean also as you can acces the entire inside. Just wondering as i am looking into purchasing a conical.

Old 09-15-2011, 12:16 AM   #444
BigJerk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've had no issue with mine. I have no problems with the welds personally. If you're super paranoid you could put boiling water in it and seal it up and let the heat and steam do it's thing. It shouldn't take a whole lot to heat the unit enough to sterilize it.

Old 09-15-2011, 12:33 AM   #445
mwhc22
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwsomtin View Post
would you agree that the brewhemoth is a non-sanitary unit due to the unpolished welds? Also is it worth the extra $590.00 for the weldless fermentator by Blichmann. Looks like the fermentator is a heck of alot easier to clean also as you can acces the entire inside. Just wondering as i am looking into purchasing a conical.
i am not exactly a master at sanitized containment or anything... but i would say the polishing does nothing other than may it look nice and make clean up a little faster. as long as the welds are not pitted and have holes and gaps to harbor bacteria...then it should be sanitary as is since its 100% stainless, including the rod they used in the welds. i have seen the insides of a few brewery tanks and their welds are not exactly polished clean either... the inside of a corny keg is not exactly polished smooth and we all use those as well.

that being said... at some point i will get to polishing mine with a dremel just because i want it to be smooth... but i am not worried about the sanitaryness of it.

blichmann does fine job of doing a mega polish job and making their welds disappear... that being said... a 20 gal blichman costs twice as much as a brewhemoth... so there is always that to think about as well. if you have cash to waste anything goes really and you can pick and choose. after dropping $350 on triclover parts, valves, and extras for fun... my hemoth and more parts than i need still came in under $1000 including the chiller unit as well.

“Here’s to a long life and a merry one,
a quick death and an easy one, a pretty girl and a true one,
a cold beer and another one." -Lewis Henry

"old schlitz...new schlitz... both getz you LITZ!"

Old 09-15-2011, 01:15 AM   #446
wedge421
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I use the Blichamnn fermenator as a primary vessel and a Brewhemoth as a green tank more or less and they both do their jobs amazingly well. For the money the Brewhemoth is tough to beat. I use Penrose kettles for my boil kettle and HLT and they are both top notch as well

The Best Homebrew and Beer Review VIDEOS on the internets:
http://www.youtube.com/user/BeerGeekNation
Buy Beer Geek Nation shirts - http://www.beergeeknation.com/store

Old 09-15-2011, 01:40 AM   #447
StMarcos
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm happy with mine. I agree that they should have polished the interior welds though.

Old 09-15-2011, 11:41 AM   #448
Bruwsomtin
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Are the welds actualy rough to the touch or are they just discolored? Most tig welded applicatons produce a pretty smooth bead before even polishing. By the looks of the pictures on their website, the welds just appear to still have heat discoloration from the welding process. That can be taken care of with some bar keepers freind (oxalic acid). If the welds have a nice wavy,nonporous,burless appearance to them i would be fine with that.

Old 09-15-2011, 04:56 PM   #449
Yambor44
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge421 View Post
I use the Blichamnn fermenator as a primary vessel and a Brewhemoth as a green tank more or less and they both do their jobs amazingly well. For the money the Brewhemoth is tough to beat. I use Penrose kettles for my boil kettle and HLT and they are both top notch as well
What is a green tank?

Old 09-15-2011, 05:54 PM   #450
dstar26t
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts

I would assume same as a Brite tank.

Next: ?
Fermenting: Munich Helles v4, Dusseldorf Altbier v5, Oktoberfest v5, Dopplebock v2, Cider, Barrel Fermented Dreg Lambic, Brett Trois Helles, Carrot Blossom Cedar Mead
Drinking: Mitis Saxon (brewed @ Earth - Bread + Brewery), Rye Berliner Weisse, Sauerkraut Fermented Gose, Conan DIPA, Lambic, Brett Trois IPA, Brett Blonde, Kriek, Saison, Sour Blonde, RIS v1 & v2, Barleywine
Barrel aged: RIS, Rye Barleywine, Tripel

Quick Reply