Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Brewhemoth conicals?
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2011, 02:14 PM   #431
Celticway
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Lawrenceville, GA, GA
Posts: 340
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamcclureuk
I'm not worried about the welds... these guys know what they're doing. The T with thermowell is a good idea, but I have grown accustomed to having the dial thermometer on the front.
I have one, and not to dig, but I would worry about the welds.
__________________
Celticway is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2011, 03:15 PM   #432
FSR402
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
FSR402's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Jenison, MI
Posts: 2,881
Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celticway View Post
I have one, and not to dig, but I would worry about the welds.
I just got mine yesterday. I got to say, the welds suck. I even have a spot on the inside weld at the top where someone took a pencil grinder to it. It looks bad. I will need to change how I do things on brew day with this. Thinking I'm going to heat sanitize it instead of starsan. Will be boiling 25 gallons of water, pumping it to the BH and let it sit until it's time to sparge. Then pump that water to my HLT for sparging. I figure if it sits full of 200+* water for 30 minutes or so that should kill anything hiding in the crappy welds.
My other complaint would be the legs. Really? 3/8 studs butt welded on and the legs have like 5/8 slots. They shipped it with some thin 3/8 washers to "take up the gap" though. LOL. Come on, if the legs have 5/8 slots why not just weld 5/8 studs on it?
I understand that for the price this is what you get and I may end up getting another one some day. But they could be so much better


EDIT: I need to explain something. When I say that the welds suck I don't mean that they are weak, pitted, spotty or blown thru. The welds look solid, they are just not polished as one would expect it to be in a fermenter. As stated the BH has room to improve but with those improvements will come longer lead times and higher price.
__________________
TWO FISTED BREWING CO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cad View Post
Its nice when you and your friends have comparable equipment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker-san View Post
some people will tap anything that has a hole.
Buy Two Fisted Brewing gear
FSR402 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2011, 04:18 PM   #433
jamcclureuk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 48
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSR402 View Post
I just got mine yesterday. I got to say, the welds suck. I even have a spot on the inside weld at the top where someone took a pencil grinder to it. It looks bad. I will need to change how I do things on brew day with this. Thinking I'm going to heat sanitize it instead of starsan. Will be boiling 25 gallons of water, pumping it to the BH and let it sit until it's time to sparge. Then pump that water to my HLT for sparging. I figure if it sits full of 200+* water for 30 minutes or so that should kill anything hiding in the crappy welds.
My other complaint would be the legs. Really? 3/8 studs butt welded on and the legs have like 5/8 slots. They shipped it with some thin 3/8 washers to "take up the gap" though. LOL. Come on, if the legs have 5/8 slots why not just weld 5/8 studs on it?
I understand that for the price this is what you get and I may end up getting another one some day. But they could bo so much better
Well crap, now I am rethinking my decision.
__________________
jamcclureuk is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2011, 06:02 PM   #434
Celticway
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Lawrenceville, GA, GA
Posts: 340
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamcclureuk

Well crap, now I am rethinking my decision.
For the money, it's good. It may be wasteful, but I fill mine all the way up with Oxy solution and let it soak for a day or two. Then the day before brew day I do the same with Starsan solution. I just don't trust the welds. With this method however I can say I have not had a bad batch yet (fingers crossed). I just wouldn't have them weld anything extra on for you.
__________________
Celticway is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2011, 06:04 PM   #435
FSR402
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
FSR402's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Jenison, MI
Posts: 2,881
Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamcclureuk View Post
Well crap, now I am rethinking my decision.
No don't.. I did not mean to bash the BH. For the money it is well worth it.
The BH could be better then it is yes, but, then you would end up paying twice as much for it. Like I said, I will more then likely buy another one some day. I'm not unhappy with it, I was just pointing out the "short comings" I found with it.
__________________
TWO FISTED BREWING CO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cad View Post
Its nice when you and your friends have comparable equipment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker-san View Post
some people will tap anything that has a hole.
Buy Two Fisted Brewing gear
FSR402 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2011, 06:11 PM   #436
Celticway
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Lawrenceville, GA, GA
Posts: 340
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSR402

No don't.. I did not mean to bash the BH. For the money it is well worth it.
The BH could be better then it is yes, but, then you would end up paying twice as much for it. Like I said, I will more then likely buy another one some day. I'm not unhappy with it, I was just pointing out the "short comings" I found with it.
I was going to build a nice CIP system for it, but with the welds I trust in a nice long soak.
__________________
Celticway is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2011, 06:14 PM   #437
Celticway
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Lawrenceville, GA, GA
Posts: 340
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Other than the welds, I am happy with the BH. Functionally it is great.

__________________
Celticway is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2011, 07:14 PM   #438
FSR402
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
FSR402's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Jenison, MI
Posts: 2,881
Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

I edited my earlier post. I was a bit harsh and it came across as bashing the BH. I did not mean it to be that way. I was just stating my observation, but did it wrong and did not explain it well.

I would not hesitate buying another one of these as stated many many times in this thread for the price there is no way to beat this fermenter.

__________________
TWO FISTED BREWING CO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cad View Post
Its nice when you and your friends have comparable equipment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker-san View Post
some people will tap anything that has a hole.
Buy Two Fisted Brewing gear
FSR402 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2011, 07:21 PM   #439
mwhc22
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mwhc22's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Wisconsin/Utah
Posts: 238
Default

I have not used mine yet... but i have no worries about the welds as long as they don't leak.

Yes the welds are visible and not polished... but really i could care less... if i wanted polished welds i would have gone with the Blingmann and paid more for a unit without triclamp fittings.

When i spoke with josh on the phone after i got the tank damaged by UPS... he told me that it had happened before to other orders too and means UPS damaged it as they pressure test each hemoth before it goes out to make sure there are no weak points or holes in the welds. this means the welds should be more than fine. The top cap weld is a little on the rough side but that is expected without much room to get in and polish it like the bottom welds.

So far the only things noticed that i would change would be to see if the leg bolts could be a size bigger for the slots in the legs. also the top bolt is a touch low and it doesn't quite rest on the top of the notch it fits through like the bottom one does.

i would also love to have a 6"-8" tri-clamp fitting on top instead of 4"... this would make it easier to get into to polish the top cap weld and allow for more access by the brewer as well while still doing everything else the same

as of right now the larger TC fitting is not an option without a decent chunk of modification when they are made...this would raise the price by 20% or so i bet.

At some point i will break out the dremel and polish the inside of the cap welds... but for now im not worried about it.

the only thing i am worried about is if i put 18-20 gallons of juice to make wine in this thing...will the bolts still hold the tank up well? has anyone had any experience with this at all?

__________________
“It has been long recognized that the problems with alcohol relate not to the use of a bad thing,
but to the abuse of a good thing." -Abe Lincoln


“Here’s to a long life and a merry one,
a quick death and an easy one, a pretty girl and a true one,
a cold beer and another one." -Lewis Henry


"old schlitz...new schlitz... both getz you LITZ!"
mwhc22 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2011, 08:22 PM   #440
Celticway
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Lawrenceville, GA, GA
Posts: 340
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhc22 View Post
I have not used mine yet... but i have no worries about the welds as long as they don't leak.

Yes the welds are visible and not polished... but really i could care less... if i wanted polished welds i would have gone with the Blingmann and paid more for a unit without triclamp fittings.

When i spoke with josh on the phone after i got the tank damaged by UPS... he told me that it had happened before to other orders too and means UPS damaged it as they pressure test each hemoth before it goes out to make sure there are no weak points or holes in the welds. this means the welds should be more than fine. The top cap weld is a little on the rough side but that is expected without much room to get in and polish it like the bottom welds.

So far the only things noticed that i would change would be to see if the leg bolts could be a size bigger for the slots in the legs. also the top bolt is a touch low and it doesn't quite rest on the top of the notch it fits through like the bottom one does.

i would also love to have a 6"-8" tri-clamp fitting on top instead of 4"... this would make it easier to get into to polish the top cap weld and allow for more access by the brewer as well while still doing everything else the same

as of right now the larger TC fitting is not an option without a decent chunk of modification when they are made...this would raise the price by 20% or so i bet.

At some point i will break out the dremel and polish the inside of the cap welds... but for now im not worried about it.

the only thing i am worried about is if i put 18-20 gallons of juice to make wine in this thing...will the bolts still hold the tank up well? has anyone had any experience with this at all?
If your asking if the legs will hold with 20 gallons, yes they will. I had a batch that was 20 gallons that I hooked up a top cropper with. No problems there.
__________________
Celticway is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MoreBeer Conicals zymurgy101 Equipment/Sanitation 13 07-04-2011 06:49 PM
Chinese conicals Styles Equipment/Sanitation 23 09-28-2009 02:49 AM
Usage of conicals billtzk Equipment/Sanitation 19 11-27-2008 03:25 AM
Conicals Kayos Equipment/Sanitation 10 02-07-2008 08:31 PM
Using conicals- MikeFlynn74 Equipment/Sanitation 6 12-01-2007 11:36 AM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS