Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Brewhemoth conicals?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2010, 01:47 AM   #1
strat_thru_marshall
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Default Brewhemoth conicals?

Anybody using these:

www.brewhemoth.com

I searched the forums but didnt find anything... looks like it might be interesting? $429 for a conical with a 1/2 bbl batch capacity...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2010, 04:08 AM   #2
msabin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'd never seen them before, but I'd love to have one (or two)
Have to get a bigger pot...!

Old 12-12-2010, 04:15 AM   #3
shamrockdoc
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

This is awesome! I must have one!

KEGGED: MK Ultra Cascadian Dark Ale, 10 & Everett Wit

If you're in trouble, if no one else can help, and if you can find them....Then maybe you can hire.... THE A TEAM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
I certainly hope they won't give me a hand job to see if I have a bomb tied to my junk .

Old 12-12-2010, 04:22 AM   #4
stlbeer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 82

I've seen these. The folks making them do top notch work. They just put together an internal chiller for these. One was just awarded to the Best of Show winner in the St Louis Brews Happy Holidays Homebrew Competition.

Old 12-12-2010, 04:38 AM   #5
shamrockdoc
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlbeer View Post
I've seen these. The folks making them do top notch work. They just put together an internal chiller for these. One was just awarded to the Best of Show winner in the St Louis Brews Happy Holidays Homebrew Competition.
Great I gotta one before they raise the prices double.

If you're in trouble, if no one else can help, and if you can find them....Then maybe you can hire.... THE A TEAM!

Quote:
I certainly hope they won't give me a hand job to see if I have a bomb tied to my junk .

Old 12-12-2010, 12:51 PM   #6
zymurgy101
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Looks like free shipping on all their products...nice.

The 16 gallon Penrose brew kettle looks decent for $139 as well.

Old 12-12-2010, 05:33 PM   #7
Kally
Recipes 

I have a customized version of this with tri-clamps. It's great! I have pictures of it and the clean-in-place system I built for it here:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=29296&id=100000215634491&l=1b2d17710 4

Old 12-12-2010, 06:07 PM   #8
RonRock
Always Ready
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kally View Post
I have a customized version of this with tri-clamps. It's great! I have pictures of it and the clean-in-place system I built for it here:
Very nice setup. Did you have them weld in the Tri fittings? I took a look at their site and really like their stuff.

What kind of seal is in the top of the Conical? Can it be pressurized? Looks like one piece so I'd guess it can. Not sure of the seal.

http://www.lonewolfbrewery.com/

Old 12-12-2010, 06:07 PM   #9
shamrockdoc
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kally View Post
This is so sexual please PM me as much of the parts list you can so I can build all these devices. You are my hero of Sunday!

Quote:

Old 12-12-2010, 06:36 PM   #10
Kally
Recipes 

haha, thanks for the compliment.

I need to put a parts list together for it. I have a mix of parts from Ebay and McMaster-Carr. I have photos and documentation for the whole thing, so it's just a matter of getting it published. Some of the tri-clamp fittings and valves can get very expensive. I was fortunate to find some good deals on ebay and I was able to buy a bunch of the old Route 66 brewery's fittings after they closed.

The top lid clamps down and seals well. I think it is a Buna-N type seal, although it might be something fancier as these are built from liquid oxygen tanks - so the stainless was able to handle tremendous amounts of pressure. Dale has a racking demonstration video on the Brewhemoth site. He puts the conical under 5-10psi of pressure for easy racking to a keg. I have fittings to connect the racking outlet port to the corny liquid out post, so I keep the entire system closed and under CO2. I put the corny on a scale and fill it by weight.

A few lessons I learned:
1 - I used a 1/2" racking tri-clamp fitting. I would go to a 3/4" tri-clamp instead, assuming it fits in the weld-space. I haven't verified the fit with the manufacturer, but I believe it would fit better than the 1/2". A 1/2" tri-clamp actually has a 3/8" inside diameter and the 3/4" is close to 1/2". Most of my brew hoses are 1/2" ID Santoprene.

2 - There is an open hole for the airlock at the top next to the main lid. This is also used as the CO2 inlet port. A drilled stopper works well with a tube going through it. I have been debating on having a 1" tri-clamp welded to this so that I can have more options with the setup. I would like to have a corny CO2 input fitting there. This can be achieved with a 1" tri-clamp to 1/4" threaded fitting and attaching a post to that.

3 - Planning the infrastructure to use a conical effectively cannot be emphasized enough. I don't have casters on mine, so there's no way to move a conical filled with 10 gallons of wort. It has to be filled in location and kept there until you're ready to rack. I had some interesting challenges keeping things cool enough in my garage over the summer. I have a fridge for this now. One great thing about the Brewhemoth vs other conicals is that it's tall and narrow - you can fit it in the fridge side of many side by side fridges (which are cheap now that the french door style fridges are the rage). I am building a temperature control chamber out of this fridge with a heater to allow this to work in the winter.
I recommend diagramming each operation before you have wort on the line so you know you have the right parts.

Since this has been setup, it's been great. I love the clean-in-place system. I just set it up and the whole thing cleans, rinses, and sanitizes itself. No scrubbing required. Although you can clean this easily with your hands if you prefer to keep it simple.
If you want the tri-clamp version, you have to tell them from the beginning. It has to be custom manufactured that way, there isn't a way to retrofit the system. Dale and Josh are very friendly and easy to work with. They will brew over backwards to help you out.

Quick Reply