The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Brewhemoth conical clean in place (CIP) systems

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2012, 04:49 PM   #31
WhiskeySix
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Here is my setup. Works great. Got the CIP ball from Brewers Hardware and the pump and fittings at Home Depot.
http://www.brewershardware.com/CIP10F10TC40.html

Semper Fi
Mark

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2012, 05:02 PM   #32
erikrocks
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySix View Post
Here is my setup. Works great. Got the CIP ball from Brewers Hardware and the pump and fittings at Home Depot.
http://www.brewershardware.com/CIP10F10TC40.html

Nice--that's what I'm planning to do. What fittings did you use to get into the CIP ball?

Old 07-13-2012, 05:04 PM   #33
nostalgia
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cscade View Post
PBW with hot tap water will remove just about anything beer-related from stainless if used at 2oz/gal concentration for 30 minutes.
I just switched from Oxy to PBW and have noticed a big improvement in removing the top-of-the-krausen scum ring. 30 minutes recirc with tap water-hot PBW and the inside was bright and shiny, without a trace of scum.

I ran at 1oz/gallon.

-Joe

Old 07-13-2012, 07:13 PM   #34
Lennie
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I think PBW has something in it that Oxy doesn't. I'll have to try running with hot water. Thanks for the testimonial.

Old 07-13-2012, 07:34 PM   #35
cscade
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It does. Folks will rant and tell you it's the same, but it simply is not. It's up to you if you want to spend the money on PBW or not. For me, it's worth it. Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennie View Post
I think PBW has something in it that Oxy doesn't. I'll have to try running with hot water. Thanks for the testimonial.

Seeker Brewing Co.
est. 2008
Build Thread - Blog

Old 07-13-2012, 08:24 PM   #36
Redcat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

To keep the foam down, have you tried Simethicone (Fermcap, Baby Gas-X, etc)?

I used it with Oxyclean, and it worked great. I won't use Simethicone in my beer, but since I rinse afterwards I think it's okay.

Old 07-14-2012, 03:06 PM   #37
WhiskeySix
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikrocks View Post
Nice--that's what I'm planning to do. What fittings did you use to get into the CIP ball?
I don't remember exactly. The CIP is 1" so I started with a 1" nipple. Then a 1" to 1 1/4" reducer. 1 1/4" 90. 1 1/4" hose fitting. And a length of 1 1/4" hose. The pump has both 1 1/4" hose or garden hose fittings. I went with the 1 1/4". I took the CIP ball to HD with me. Found the pump and took everything to the fitting aisle and figured it out. Took a while.

Semper Fi
Mark

Old 07-14-2012, 08:15 PM   #38
erikrocks
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySix View Post
I don't remember exactly. The CIP is 1" so I started with a 1" nipple. Then a 1" to 1 1/4" reducer. 1 1/4" 90. 1 1/4" hose fitting. And a length of 1 1/4" hose. The pump has both 1 1/4" hose or garden hose fittings. I went with the 1 1/4". I took the CIP ball to HD with me. Found the pump and took everything to the fitting aisle and figured it out. Took a while.
Thanks. I hate Lowes and Home Depot like the plague. Nothing is ever where it should be. How many times have I grabbed a light switch out of the "3-way switch" box, only to come home and find out someone threw a normal single pole switch in the wrong box? Too many times.

Old 08-16-2012, 02:36 AM   #39
erikrocks
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

image-3458861029.jpg

Here's my first attempt at a clean in place: 1.2 HP submersible pump, 5 gallons of hot PBW, and a Brewer's Hardware SS CIP ball. I let it go for an hour. It worked pretty well today, but I still had to reach in with a carboy brush and take care of the scum ring. Anyone have any advice?

Old 08-16-2012, 06:02 PM   #40
jcaudill
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 39 Posts

I did something kind of similar although I wanted it to be a bit more flexible so that I can CIP other things. So here's what I came up with:

photo by brewerJP

photo by brewerJP

photo by brewerJP

I had a hole drilled in the 4" TC cap, and then just used a bulkhead fitting with NPT on both sides so I could adapt for the input / output as necessary. You can see that I can break it in half so I can use the nozzle elsewhere. When I get ready to CIP I just fill the Brewhemoth up with around 5 gallons of water/PBW solution, dump it out the bottom, send it through a pump and then back up to the top. I use this pump for cleaning: http://www.amazon.com/Shurflo-8005-7.../dp/B00571IFN6. It's relatively inexpensive, NSF rated and more than capable.

The lid CIP I made came in particularly good use when passivating the pots - I just circulated a diluted solution of nitric acid.

Everything about this is simple - except cutting the hole in the TC cap! That is quite a challenge.

Quick Reply