Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Brewhemoth conical clean in place (CIP) systems

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2012, 12:03 AM   #21
cascadia
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Nice, thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2012, 12:06 PM   #22
Lennie
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I got my 1.5HP trash pump off ebay (new, $79, free shipping, Chinese) and hooked up a PVC pipe system for my 2" cleaning ball. Ran it last night, it really works well. Takes maybe a minute to prime and get all the way up to the ball. The only negative in the system is that the pump runs faster than the fermentor drains even with both the dump and racking valves wide open. This means the flow slows for a few seconds every so often but it starts back up as more water drains to the reservoir.

The spray ball squirts a good amount of water upwards. I found this out on startup when I looked into the 4" opening and got soaked. I lengthened the downward leg of the pipe to put the ball about 8" into the fermentor. If it warms up I might try running the system outside and observe the spray pattern so I can be sure I'm getting good coverage of the upper reaches of the fermentor.

Old 02-24-2012, 01:31 PM   #23
cfrazier77
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostalgia View Post

Your system was the inspiration for mine, btw. Nice work on that.

-Joe
Thanks, yours is quite impressive as well.

Old 03-06-2012, 03:47 AM   #24
nostalgia
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Here's a video of me using the CIP system.

-Joe

Old 03-16-2012, 04:39 PM   #25
lucasbm
Recipes 

I'm saving up for a brewhemoth. I really like your setup.

What size thermowell did you use? I plan on getting the chilling coil as well and since the thermowell goes in at an angle I want to make sure I get one that:
A. does not hang out on top of the coil and gets false readings based off the coil temp.
B. The thermowell and coil does not intertwine making it more difficult to remove the coil.

The last worry I have is my fermentation fridge has crapped out on me, making the brewhemoth and the chill coil that much more appealing. I live in Mississippi and plan to keep the fermenter in my storage room in the garage (this room is dedicated to home brewing equipment). It get's pretty damn hot in my garage during the summer. I'm wondering if the chill coil, ice cold water, and insulating the fermenter will be enough to keep good ale temps for a 10 gallon batch. I would prefer to keep it in the 64 degree range. I don't know if I'll be asking too much though. Any advice or directions to good forum topics would be very much appreciated.

Thanks... Again, very awesome setup!

YouTube Videos:
lbmbrew
Brutus Build:
Forum Topic
Pictures

Old 03-16-2012, 10:51 PM   #26
nostalgia
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I use a 24" thermowell in the tee. It does interfere with the coil slightly, and I'm considering other options.

That said, I put stick-on thermometers on the outside of the conical, and the reading from the thermowell is within a degree or two of the stick-ons, even with the chiller running.

-Joe

Old 04-20-2012, 01:27 AM   #27
erikrocks
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Hey guys. I've got a brewhemoth on the way...anyone know if this trash pump would work with the brewers hardware CIP ball?

Old 04-20-2012, 12:15 PM   #28
Lennie
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikrocks View Post
Hey guys. I've got a brewhemoth on the way...anyone know if this trash pump would work with the brewers hardware CIP ball?
Look a lot like the one I'm using. I have a 1.5HP pump and it actually outruns the drains even when both the dump and racking valves are wide open. So I'd say a 1.25 or 1.0HP would be perfect. I'd probably go with the 1.25HP, its not much more.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:21 PM   #29
Lennie
Recipes 

I also have an abservation and wondered if other people are seeing this. My CIP system (2" brewershardware metal ball and 1.5HP pump) is vigorous but it still won't scour the trub ring off the fermentor. At least not in the 15-30min I run the CIP. The water appears to be shooting upwards well enough, I only have the ball in about 8" although could move this up I suppose. I'm using some PBW too, but so far only cold water. Fortunately my arm is skinny enough that I can reach in with a plastic scrubby and clean the ring off as long as I'm doing a 15+gal batch.

So my question is, if I use hot water and let the CIP run for an hour or something, will this ring eventually get blasted off? I'm cleaning right after racking the beer to kegs so its not dried on.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:51 PM   #30
cscade
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

PBW with hot tap water will remove just about anything beer-related from stainless if used at 2oz/gal concentration for 30 minutes.

There are two tricks (that I have found) with PBW; run hot, and rinse immediately and with the same temp water. That's all you need to be sure of. Elbow grease not required. Don't get too carried away on the temp - five star recommends keeping PBW temp < 150F - just use hot tap water.

In fact, I often cut the concentration as far back as .75oz/gal, and still get good results in my brew kettle. And that's not even proper CIP, just lazy march pump speed. If it's not coming clean for you, it's almost certainly mixed at the wrong ratio, or the water is too cold.

Seeker Brewing Co.
est. 2008
Build Thread - Blog

Quick Reply