New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Brewhemoth conical clean in place (CIP) systems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2012, 08:44 PM   #1
nostalgia
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Brewhemoth conical clean in place (CIP) systems

Since there are a lot of questions about CIP in the Brewhemoth Conicals thread, I thought I'd start one with my current solution, and invite others to share theirs.

First I had the cap on the chiller drilled to accept a 1/2" NPT long nipple.

Then I soldered in the nipple with Harris Stay-Brite 8 solder and Stay-Clean flux. I added a rotating spray ball from McMaster-Carr, and an elbow and tri-clamp fitting on top.

For the pump, I grabbed a Flowtech utility pump from Home Depot.

I used a garden hose to 1/2" female NPT adapter and a close nipple to attach the hose to the tri-clamp fitting.

Then it's cleaning time! First, put an empty bucket under the Brewhemoth and run 5 gallons of hot tap water through to get all the loose solids. The pump is in a bucket in the sink.

Then I switched to a hot Oxiclean solution, but this time the bucket with the pump is under the Brewhemoth so it recirculates the cleaner. I think I recirc'd for about 10 minutes. I'll probably switch to PBW in the future, since it's supposed to be lower-foaming.

Then another clean water rinse, and done! Everything came out shiny and crispy clean. And this was after having 12 gallons of a very dark red IPA in there for 3 weeks.

I like having the sprayball in with the chiller because not only can I clean everything at once, in place, but I can also use it to sanitize everything at once on brewday.

-Joe

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2012, 02:00 AM   #2
Bokonon
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Looks good. I've got one of those spray heads but haven't used it yet. I borrowed a non-rotating spray ball from a local brewery and rigged something up on mine.

I had thermowells welded into each of my chiller caps so I don't really have enough room to add a CIP connection there.

What I do is insert a piece of 1/2" PVC through the 1" port on top, then reach in through the top and slip an o-ring on the pvc, then push the spray ball on it. The spray ball is meant to have a clip to hold it on and I tried that initially but it was a pain to try to get everything lined up. The o-ring is enough to hold it on.

I'm thinking about coming up with a solution that doesn't require me to remove the cap and pull out the chiller. A small diameter pipe that fits through the 1" hole (maybe CPVC, copper would work but I'd rather not use it), cap it and drill some holes to give good coverage.

Old 01-30-2012, 03:11 AM   #3
nostalgia
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Yeah, getting something to go through the 1" hole was my original idea, but I couldn't find a 270 or 360 degree ball that would fit through. I'm very happy with the way this setup worked out.

-Joe

Old 01-30-2012, 09:10 PM   #4
cfrazier77
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 48

I made a cleaner separate from my chiller. I did not think about using the chiller, but now after the fact I don't think that I would do anything different. This really works well with a 1.2 HP trash pump.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:50 PM   #5
Bruwsomtin
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This is what I plan to use with a jet pump

Old 02-14-2012, 11:35 AM   #6
Landshark67
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

St Pats sells a 4in TC cap with 2in TC reducer. I've been using their 2in TC spray ball and it works great. It's a little more expensive but saves the extra drill time.

The downside is not being able to wash the chiller coil at the same time. That would be nice but it gives me something to do during the BH rinse stage.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:54 PM   #7
richbrew99
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 41

nice, subscribed

Old 02-15-2012, 12:34 PM   #8
Lennie
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrazier77 View Post
I made a cleaner separate from my chiller. I did not think about using the chiller, but now after the fact I don't think that I would do anything different. This really works well with a 1.2 HP trash pump.
So that spray ball works well with a 1.2HP trash pump? Got any more specs on the pump? I have the ball and so far haven't found a pump that will push hard enough to spin it. It might just be cheaper for me to buy the smaller plastic spray ball.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:07 AM   #9
cfrazier77
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 48

It works very well, you can hear it spinning. I bought it off of ebay for about $70. I believe that it was labeled 900 watts.

Happy Dog Brewing

Old 02-16-2012, 12:21 PM   #10
Lennie
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Thanks I'll give ebay a look.

Edited to add: I didn't see anything over 1/2hp, not sure that would push the ball. Harbor Freight has sump pumps but those have low PSI cutoffs.

Quick Reply