Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Brew Stand - Build yourself or get someone else to build?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2008, 07:35 PM   #11
Stevorino
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
I'm sure most racks/stands you're seeing around here are grossly overbuilt, especially the brutus clones. You really don't need 2" square tubing. I saved a lot of money in raw materials by salvaging bedframes. If you have any scrap dealers near you, go walking around looking for surplus materials. I would recommend sticking with tubular steel rather than angle though. It's much easier to grind your welds.
That's another question-- what tools would I need to cut this metal to size?

-Stevorino-_________________________________________
In Keezer:
1. BCS - Wet Hopped West Coast Blaster
2. CYBI - Gordon's IPA Clone
3. BCS - Scottish -80
4. BCS - Specialty Saison (Gold Medal at BMO)
In Process:
1. BCS - Janet's Brown Ale (Fermenting)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2008, 07:41 PM   #12
TerapinChef

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
You really don't need 2" square tubing.
Insanity. I wish mine was 3".

Seriously though, just keep your eyes open. As soon as I started thinking about building a stand, I saw materials everywhere. Bedframes, old weightlifting benches, hell I even got a bunkbed frame from right down the street. Go to the scrapyard if you're too proud to garbage pick (or don't have a pickup...) Even the carpeting sales place down the street from me has three full 10' heavy duty shelving units sitting out back. I stopped in one day just out of curiosity, and sure enough, they were mine for the taking. (I declined) But that would have been enough to build at least two single tier systems....and yeah it's heavy duty but it's also free...My SWMBO is so lucky I don't have a welder...

See My Profile for Current Brews

My 3/4 Ton Brewstand "Build"

The Belgian Lady Brewery

Old 11-19-2008, 07:44 PM   #13
jspence1
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I picked up 1x1x1/8 thick square tubing last week, I got 10 pieces 56" long for $25 off kijiji (online classified ads) . I've been looking around and I have a mig welder for $200.

Old 11-19-2008, 07:47 PM   #14
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 975 Times on 652 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I sacrificed my old 10" Ryobi compound miter saw to the project by loading it with 7" thin cutting discs. It still works, sorta.. but I only paid $99 for it and put moulding up in every room of the house before I took on the brewstand project. You could get away with an angle grinder with a cutting disc but the cuts won't be as precise without extra cleanup work.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 11-19-2008, 08:19 PM   #15
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Hey Bobby, when you were cutting bedframes did you anneal the metal before cutting it?

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 11-19-2008, 08:19 PM   #16
Jared311
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well if you are willing to drop that much, then check out 8020.net. I am planning on building a brew stand using their frames. Just design your rig and determine how many pieces you need, what lengths, and where you want the holes drilled. Few weeks later you have a damn sexy looking brew stand that can easily be bolted together. We use these guys at work all the time for instrument racks and test setups. The best part is that you always have the option of rearranging the design or even adding more space.

Sláinte,
Jared311

Old 11-19-2008, 08:48 PM   #17
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 975 Times on 652 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by conpewter View Post
Hey Bobby, when you were cutting bedframes did you anneal the metal before cutting it?
I did not. Bedframes are crazy hard but no match for a cutting wheel at 10k RPM.
Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 11-19-2008, 08:55 PM   #18
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Thanks! I'm going with wood for my brewstand (as mentioned) so I don't think I'll be cutting into the couple bedrails I have, but thought that perhaps that would have made them easier to cut and drill.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 11-19-2008, 09:08 PM   #19
pixelmonk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

find a server rack from a company going out of business, upgraded, or moving. Flip it on its side, cut or drill if you need to in order to make it work, add casters. Done.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:23 PM   #20
Dustin_J
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonefishing View Post
Build it yourself. You'll end up with a nice brew stand, a new skill (welding),a new toy (welder) and the ability to change/update it whenever you like.
Check the yellow pages for steel dealers, maybe even used steel dealers. Even with buying steel and a small welder (check Harbor Freight or Craigslist) you won't spend $750 and will have money left for a pump,so build the setup you want now.

+1

I was in a similar position and decided to go the DIY route. I spent a little more than $750, but I got a really nice welder out of the deal (Hobart Handler 187) as well as a new skill, which I've already planned on using to save some dough on a few other projects. Learning to MIG weld well enough to make a brewstand or similar projects really isn't that hard, and there are a lot of good resources on the web. It was a fun project even though it was a lot of work, and it's a great feeling to build something like that pretty much from scratch. Plus, you get to make a lot of noise, sparks, fire, etc...and what kind of guy doesn't dig that

"People who choose Bud and Coors over a microbrew are the same people that put catsup on their steak." - Some guy on the internet

Last edited by Dustin_J; 11-19-2008 at 09:26 PM.

Quick Reply