Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Brew Stand - Build yourself or get someone else to build?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2008, 05:24 PM   #1
Stevorino
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Brew Stand - Build yourself or get someone else to build?

Hey guys-- I'm really wanting to get a sweet brewstand built for Xmas.

Right now I have 3 keggles, 3 burners, but no stand.

I wanted to see if anyone had any input on where I can get a brewstand built and for how much (I live in Atlanta).

I'm also considering building it myself, although I do not know how to weld (willing to teach myself though) and don't really know where to acquire the steel/metal. I've considered building a wood stand in the past, but have decided if I'm going to drop $750-$1000 on a stand, I want it to be as close to perfect as possible.

I'd eventually like to upgrade to a HERMS/RIMS System, but that's not necessary for right now.

Thoughts/Suggestions?

Thanks guys!

-Stevorino-_________________________________________
In Keezer:
1. BCS - Wet Hopped West Coast Blaster
2. CYBI - Gordon's IPA Clone
3. BCS - Scottish -80
4. BCS - Specialty Saison (Gold Medal at BMO)
In Process:
1. BCS - Janet's Brown Ale (Fermenting)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2008, 05:36 PM   #2
Aleforge
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You should have some local weld shops around, I would look in the phone book and call them. Have some plans sketched up with dimensions and they should be able to give you a price to weld it, possibly with materials. I'm not a welder, but would love to buy a small welder just for these applications. Maybe someone can chime in and tell us both what type of welder would be best to buy for this type of stuff?

On a side note I have seen some members "wooden" stands on here and if you take the time you can make them look pretty awesome.

PRIMARY - Orange Blossom Mead

"A man is but the product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Old 11-19-2008, 05:42 PM   #3
Gonefishing
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Build it yourself. You'll end up with a nice brew stand, a new skill (welding),a new toy (welder) and the ability to change/update it whenever you like.
Check the yellow pages for steel dealers, maybe even used steel dealers. Even with buying steel and a small welder (check Harbor Freight or Craigslist) you won't spend $750 and will have money left for a pump,so build the setup you want now.

Small Primary: Empty
In Secondary: SMaSh Ale (dry hopping)
In Keg: Apefelwein
Keg 2: English pale ale
Keg3:Cola Soda
Keg4; Snowy Mountain APA
In Bottles: Some Bud for my clueless friends.
Next up: Brown Puppy Ale (Old Brown Dog clone)
My Blog: http://kking.wordpress.com/

Old 11-19-2008, 05:48 PM   #4
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4695 Times on 4350 Posts
Likes Given: 58

After 3 years of building, revising, upgrading, swapping, etc...

I am at a point where I'd rather just buy the damned thing and get to brewing. Problem is, I still have to assemble the dang thing.

It sure is expensive tho' and definitely not worth compounded interest.

Old 11-19-2008, 06:04 PM   #5
camiller
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Welding is not absolutely necessary, nuts and bolts hold things together too. Here is one example. While he use an heavy duty shelving unit to start with you can probably get angle iron/steel and drill it yourself if you need more flexibility with the design.

Old 11-19-2008, 06:22 PM   #6
Padstack31
Recipes 

From someone who is putting the finishing touches on his brew stand, I would recommend you build it yourself.

Sure, it has taken me about a year to put everything together but it's also been a lot of fun to design it from scratch. I borrowed ideas from others but it is truely one of a kind design, to me that is more rewarding then buying a stand that just anyone with the cash can buy.

Old 11-19-2008, 06:34 PM   #7
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 7

If you are a DIY guy get the welder and the steel, otherwise go to local welding ship and talk about it with them and work out a design.

I plan on making a wooden rig (with cement board top) due to cost, but a nice steel heavy frame would be neat too

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 11-19-2008, 06:46 PM   #8
Stevorino
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm leaning towards building it myself-- it just seems that not knowing how to weld is a silly obstacle and I'd love to have the holiday project

My biggest question is what kind of welder to get and where to procure decent quality steel at a low price. Ideas?

-Stevorino-_________________________________________
In Keezer:
1. BCS - Wet Hopped West Coast Blaster
2. CYBI - Gordon's IPA Clone
3. BCS - Scottish -80
4. BCS - Specialty Saison (Gold Medal at BMO)
In Process:
1. BCS - Janet's Brown Ale (Fermenting)

Old 11-19-2008, 06:47 PM   #9
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 945 Times on 631 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I'm sure most racks/stands you're seeing around here are grossly overbuilt, especially the brutus clones. You really don't need 2" square tubing. I saved a lot of money in raw materials by salvaging bedframes. If you have any scrap dealers near you, go walking around looking for surplus materials. I would recommend sticking with tubular steel rather than angle though. It's much easier to grind your welds.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 11-19-2008, 07:08 PM   #10
RonRock
Always Ready
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The easiest and fastest way to learn welding is MIG. You can buy a 110 volt MIG (Metal Inert Gas) welder for around $500. With a little practice you will be able to run a "Bead" in a very short time. It won't pass an X-Ray but it will be plenty good for a brewstand. Be sure and get one that uses Gas, they also sell Wire Welders that look the same but don't have provisions for gas, they use a Fluxcore wire rather than gas for shielding. They weld fine but leave an ugly weld. Lots of splatter. In the end you will have one of the best tools and ability to weld things. You may consider local Pawn Shops for purchase, just be sure and study up before shopping in a Pawn. You need to be informed before you get a good deal in those shops. A local welding supply would be the safest place to buy and will likely teach you how to weld before you leave with your welder.

Obviously I'd go for it. But that's just me. I probably have a dozen welder in my homeshop.

http://www.lonewolfbrewery.com/

Quick Reply