Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > brew set up question, full boil cfc indoor

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2009, 02:05 AM   #1
spartanchip
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default brew set up question, full boil cfc indoor

so i am able to do full 5+ gallon batches on my kitchen stove (yes we have a burner with a power boil setting and it will achieve a pretty good boil with 6 gallons in it.) i want to rig my kettle up with a ball valve, and also have a counterflow chiller.

questions:

1. is a weldless fitting the best way to go about the ball valve? (i am using an aluminum pot)

2. i am guessing that counterflow chilling is preferred to immersion chilling (just a guess due to the basic principals of the devices)

3. is it possible to attach a cfc to my kitchen sink? during the colder parts of the year where i am forced to be inside will i be able to use my cfc attached to the kitchen sink? (would this attachment be similar to the one that is used between an IC and a sink? i know that this attachment is sold everywhere)

i would like some advice on this because as of right now i am still brewing indoors but in the near future would also like to brew outside so i would like the option of brewing in either location, depending on the weather.

thanks and as always

brew on!

Primary I: air :(
Primary II: Edwort's Apfelwein (4.16.2009)
Primary III: air :(

Bottle Conditioning: Vanilla Bourbon Porter (8.3.09)
Drinking: AHS Irish Red Ale, AHS Summer Saison Belgian Ale

On Deck: AHS Texas Blonde

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2009, 12:37 PM   #2
Sawdustguy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts

Sure you can. The only difference is the instead of immersing a chiller in the wort, it sits outside the wort. Simply run some tubing from your tap to the chiller and the output of your chiller to the drain. Gravity feed the wort from your boil kettle to your fermenter. If you don't already have one, a coupling and valve would be handy to have on your boil kettle. You can use a weldless setup as you suggested. The counterflow chiller will be more efficient than an immersion chiller IMHO.

Guy

Old 06-24-2009, 01:18 AM   #3
spartanchip
Recipes 

anyone else have any advice?

Primary I: air :(
Primary II: Edwort's Apfelwein (4.16.2009)
Primary III: air :(

Bottle Conditioning: Vanilla Bourbon Porter (8.3.09)
Drinking: AHS Irish Red Ale, AHS Summer Saison Belgian Ale

On Deck: AHS Texas Blonde

Old 06-24-2009, 04:30 AM   #4
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I have a spigot on the kettle and use a CFC with no problems,
Don't know about weldless fittings. I've never used them.
The CFC is more difficult to clean and sanitize than an IC, but it works much faster than the IC I used to use. I wouldn't switch back to an IC
You need a kitchen sink to garder hose adapter. My IC used another adapter that screwed on to the garden hose adapter.
-a.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Quick Reply