Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Brew rig connectors?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2012, 12:36 PM   #1
fhhobbies
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default Brew rig connectors?

What are the best connectors to use on all the lines, cam lock or quick dis connects?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 12:49 PM   #2
Barnesie
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 10

You're expecting to get definitive answers about a subjective subject on a forum?

Undoubtedly someone will shout tri-clover only to be countered by the simplicity of a hose barb.

Why not just get which ever one you like the looks of best?

Bottles: none
Keg: Junkyard IPA, Alagash Belgian Tripel clone

Beware: Everyone is an expert on the internet.

Old 11-22-2012, 01:47 PM   #3
microbusbrewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Anytime someone asks or declares something "the best" I assume it's probably trolling. I use camlocks and they work great for me. I don't think you could go wrong with any of them including tri-clamps. There are different costs involved so go with whatever your budget allows.

Old 11-22-2012, 01:54 PM   #4
fhhobbies
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Ok bad wording, was just looking for good connectors that will hold up, not leak, easy to use, stuff like that. Don't mind spending money on good stuff and was wondering what people recommend and perhaps a good place to buy.

Old 11-22-2012, 02:34 PM   #5
Gitmoe
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 98 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 23

If you don't mind dropping some cash, Tri-Clover is the way to go. If you want something that is reliable and a little bit more cost effective, get camlocks. It's pretty much that simple.

Old 11-22-2012, 04:25 PM   #6
fhhobbies
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Tri clamps I didn't want to go with because I want to stay weldless. So cam locks over quick disconnects?

Old 11-22-2012, 07:00 PM   #7
AlbusLux
Recipes 

You can use TriClover (TC) with a weldless bulkhead http://www.brewershardware.com. Weldless/welded refers to how you penetrate a vessel. Figure about $25 per TC connection vs about $20 for QD and $10 for CamLocks. It's nearly impossible to connect a Triclover with one hand. I think Camlocks are inexpensive, work well and look cool.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:52 PM   #8
fafrd
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'd like to follow-up on this question of brew rig conectors.

I'm an old-time AG brewer from the early 80's (grad school) who has not had the time to brew for 25 years. Going to be having more time going forward and plan to get back into brewing. Been doing a lot of research over the past week and there is an enormous amount of new technology available since I last brewed in 1987...

I'm planning on putting together some kind of an electric recirculating mash system and choosing connector types is the area I am focused on now.

So first, I see many use hose barbs and I would like to understand if there is any downside to using hose barbs if all connections will be made and unmade while the system is cool and empty (set-up -> brew -> clean -> break-down).

The only part of my system that I may need to take down while hot/full may be the March Pump (in the case that I decide to go single-pump, in which case I need to move the pump from recirculating mash to recirculating wort for cooling).

For the price of fancy SS connectors, I could practically afford a second pump (which would also provide a backup), but I would like to understand pros and cons of different connector types to disconnect/connect a pump:

BARB: seems like these would be an enormous PITA to disconnect but once the hoses are empty, is this practical? Any other downside?

CAMLOCKS: seem not be be suitable for 'one-handed' disconnect, but I am not sure how important that is in my case - any other pros or cons?

QUICK DISCONNECT: seem to be priced about like camlocks but support one-handed connect/disconnect - are there any downsides to these versus camlocks? Are they less reliable and any more prone to leaking?

TRICLOVER: seems that these are the 'Cadillac' of hose connectors. Are they the most reliable in terms of sealing well and preventing any leaks? Any other advantages such as ease and effectiveness of cleaning?

One more specific question: I may plan my system to handle pressure of up to 8 psi or so (max psi for March 815PL) - under this kind of pressure, am I correct that Triclover would be best (and barb would be worst)? Any opinions on whether Camlock or QD would be second best and how effectively they would be able to handle this kind of pressure?

Appreciate any help on this - as I continue planning my system I am sure I will have more questions, but for now I am just trying to decide on hose connectors (so that I can plan my MLT, HLT and BK fittings accordingly...).

-fafrd

Old 12-19-2012, 02:16 PM   #9
Cpt_Kirks
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 39 Posts

Cam locks seem to be the best value for the money. At least for me.

YMMV.

Old 12-19-2012, 05:14 PM   #10
fafrd
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks - I've never used Cam locks before - would you have any concern about their ability to hold pressure? Do you think Cam locks are about as good as Triclover in that regard? Do you have experience with any other connector type?

Are there any negatives to the use of Camlocks in your experience that you would change if possible?

thanks again,

-fafrd

Quick Reply