Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Brew Magic Sabco System

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2012, 12:26 AM   #11
Doctor_M
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 131

Awesome another brewmagic user! I love mine. I am looking to move mine indoors and converted to natural gas in the near future.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 02:59 AM   #12
trueclimber
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Our mash temp was 148 and the first gravity reading was 1.050 second reading a week later was 1.012....should I be worried?

Old 12-12-2012, 11:40 AM   #13
Junkster
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It's fermenting..... Which yeast, and what's the ferment temperature?

Old 12-12-2012, 04:27 PM   #14
mcl
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Our mash temp was 148 and the first gravity reading was 1.050 second reading a week later was 1.012....should I be worried?
Nope. Your fermentation is pretty much over. Now you need to decide how long to leave it in primary.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:01 PM   #15
trueclimber
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Awesome...will go secondary on Friday. Thanks!

Old 01-30-2013, 02:40 PM   #16
WissahickonBrew
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueclimber View Post
My friends bought this from a brewery that closed down and never used it...and my friends never used it until I convinced them to bring it over and for us to figure out how to brew. None if us brewed before this. We figured go big or go home!

Attachment 87852
Wow, what an opportunity to jump into the hobby driving a Cadillac! You will never know the joy of destroying your kitchen on brew day, fussing with timers, hoses, heavy pots filled with scalding liquids!

Good luck and enjoy!

Old 01-30-2013, 03:29 PM   #17
Jeepbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have been using it for our little brewpub we just opened, and I am still dialing stuff in with this.
First- burners take a while to heat up sparge/boil water. Use as much hot water as you can to save your propane and time.
Second- volumes are tricky, since the out posts for HLT are below where water comes out you need to account for that. Sight glass may read 12 gallons, but subtract 2 gallons which is the amount of liquid below the outs.
Third-Watch for vapor lock with valve 5 and turning of 3 and or to 4. Pump is not the most robust, but you have to ease on #5 to get it to go at times.

I did a dry run, but still had some brew day trial and errors. I have brewed 6 batches and the mash has kept the temp for the most part at where you set it.
Best part of this system was their chiller. It goes straight in the fermentor at 60* from boiling.
We did not get their kegs, but for cleaning, sanitizing they seem like a great option. We are using sixtels, but if we could have afforded the cost and the space in our cooler we may have bought them too.
Overall it is a good system, but I can already see us outgrowing this and needing to upgrade within a year at the pace we are at. Do some research, count your money and make the best decision on what you need.
Cheers!-Bryan @ The Other Farm Brewing Company.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:02 PM   #18
WissahickonBrew
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepbrewer View Post
I have been using it for our little brewpub we just opened, and I am still dialing stuff in with this.
First- burners take a while to heat up sparge/boil water. Use as much hot water as you can to save your propane and time.
Second- volumes are tricky, since the out posts for HLT are below where water comes out you need to account for that. Sight glass may read 12 gallons, but subtract 2 gallons which is the amount of liquid below the outs.
Third-Watch for vapor lock with valve 5 and turning of 3 and or to 4. Pump is not the most robust, but you have to ease on #5 to get it to go at times.

I did a dry run, but still had some brew day trial and errors. I have brewed 6 batches and the mash has kept the temp for the most part at where you set it.
Best part of this system was their chiller. It goes straight in the fermentor at 60* from boiling.
We did not get their kegs, but for cleaning, sanitizing they seem like a great option. We are using sixtels, but if we could have afforded the cost and the space in our cooler we may have bought them too.
Overall it is a good system, but I can already see us outgrowing this and needing to upgrade within a year at the pace we are at. Do some research, count your money and make the best decision on what you need.
Cheers!-Bryan @ The Other Farm Brewing Company.
Hey, you are not too far from me! ... and we have fam in Boyertown! When is a good time to come up and sample your wares??? I found your FB but do you have a web yet?

Quick Reply