Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Brew location VS Ferment location

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2009, 09:45 PM   #1
beerocd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Brew location VS Ferment location

This is a question spawned off the 15 gal inductor cone thread.

Mostly I'm wondering about people doing larger batches; do you brew and ferment pretty much in the same location? I'll be moving outside this spring and think I'll have to stick to two buckets to keep a ten gallon batch portable.

Has anyone used tubing to transfer wort to a cooler part of the house for fermentation? (ie., patio/garage to basement)

-OCD

Due to recent economic crisis, stock market crash, budget cuts, and the rising cost of everything including taxes: "The Light at the End of The Tunnel" has been turned off.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2009, 10:30 PM   #2
Anthony_Lopez
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I brew in the garage and do the transfer on my 12 gallon batches into my conical. I then carry the conical with a helper into the basement...

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.
--Tom Waits

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
--Frank Zappa

My Cheap and Easy Stirplate

Old 02-09-2009, 11:17 PM   #3
TerapinChef

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Someone on here had talked about running hose from patio to basement via a window. Don't know as that anyone has ever done any hard piping. That would be nice, I don't see it being a HUGE deal to clean, as long as you can close and open both ends fully, you should be able to run a brush through the whole thing the way it looks in my head. Close it off and fill it with hot oxyclean when you're done, run sanitizer through it before you start...Hmm, copper line from outside to basement sounds like a fun thing to do!

See My Profile for Current Brews

My 3/4 Ton Brewstand "Build"

The Belgian Lady Brewery

Old 02-09-2009, 11:53 PM   #4
GuateBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It would be fun and cool, but what about the deadspace loss. Depending on the length of the line you could end up with 1/2-1 gallon in there.

Old 02-10-2009, 02:45 AM   #5
beerocd
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuateBrewer View Post
It would be fun and cool, but what about the deadspace loss. Depending on the length of the line you could end up with 1/2-1 gallon in there.
Depending on where you live your basement could be below grade.(mine is about a 9 foot drop, so I wouldn't have wort in any dead areas of the pipe/tubing. I was just wondering if anybody on this board had successfully done this. I was thinking from the CFC straight to the tubing leading to the fermenter in the basement. Strictly gravity fed.

-OCD

Due to recent economic crisis, stock market crash, budget cuts, and the rising cost of everything including taxes: "The Light at the End of The Tunnel" has been turned off.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:49 PM   #6
TerapinChef

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Yeah I wasn't seeing any possibility of wort staying inside a mostly straight copper pipe that's dropping about 8 ft to my basement...

See My Profile for Current Brews

My 3/4 Ton Brewstand "Build"

The Belgian Lady Brewery

Old 02-10-2009, 11:10 PM   #7
mykayel
Recipes 

If I ever get a conical I'll be doing just that. I already use an aquarium pump to pump the cooled wort out of my brew kettle into my fermenter buckets, so it wouldn't be a big deal to just pump strait into a conical that's already down in the basement from outside, the hose would just be a litlte longer.

Old 02-11-2009, 01:33 PM   #8
p4ck37p1mp
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just picked up my two 35g inductor tanks and I plan on plumbing both inlet (from BK) and outlet (drain / waste) lines. Using pumps and valves at both ends you can use a bucket or the outlet line to purge the line of star san once you see wort flowing. I do this now with carboys, so it isn't much of a change for me. I pitch on cakes several times and figure once I dump initial trub (day 2 or so in ferment) I can reuse yeast quite a bit. Once I go to clean them I'll pump hot pbw water into them, soak for a bit until the crud comes loose, rinse, star san soak and they're ready to go again. I'm planning on adding a ball lock fitting to each of them also so I can pressurize with co2 to push any o2 out of the airlock and also be able to dump trub without removing the airlock. I'm trying to make as closed a system as I can so that I can reuse yeast several times without fear of contamination. I want the wort to have very little o2 contact after cooling it down, which also means the conicals have very little chance of infection. Think like a clean room, they pressurize them so dust, etc gets pushed out any leaks.

-- "Unix is user friendly. However, it isn't idiot friendly."

Old 06-18-2010, 03:00 PM   #9
ghart999
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerocd View Post
Depending on where you live your basement could be below grade.(mine is about a 9 foot drop, so I wouldn't have wort in any dead areas of the pipe/tubing. I was just wondering if anybody on this board had successfully done this. I was thinking from the CFC straight to the tubing leading to the fermenter in the basement. Strictly gravity fed.

-OCD
One of the guys in my brew club does that. He brews in the garage. Directly below is his basement with waiting conicals. He pumps from boiling wort, through the CFC and straight into the conicals. He just drilled a 1" hole through his basement floor. Very cool.

Old 06-18-2010, 04:39 PM   #10
drez77
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I brew in the garage and ferment in the cellar. I will pump out of my brew kettle through a cellar window to the conical. In teh past I have carried the conical full down a bulkhead with help but that is not good for my back. This makes it so much easier.

Quick Reply