Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Equipment/Sanitation (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/)
-   -   Brew Kettle Valve Question (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/brew-kettle-valve-question-360244/)

oldhat 10-10-2012 11:04 PM

Brew Kettle Valve Question
 
Hi there,

So after ages of brewing small batches I'm stepping up a bit and purchasing an 8 gallon brewpot. The one I have in mind is this: http://hopdawgs.ca/Brewing-kettles?product_id=261

My question is, what is the difference between a 2 piece and 3 piece ball valve? Which is the better option? Does it matter?

Also, what other gear will I need for this pot? I imagine a filter for the bottom will be needed. Anything else?

Thank you in advance. :)

day_trippr 10-10-2012 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldhat (Post 4487882)
[...]My question is, what is the difference between a 2 piece and 3 piece ball valve? Which is the better option? Does it matter?

The difference is the 3-piece can be torn down to be thoroughly cleaned. If that matters.

Quote:

Also, what other gear will I need for this pot? I imagine a filter for the bottom will be needed. Anything else?
Some folks use boil screens (aka "bazooka" tubes) in their boil kettles, some don't. I don't.

As for "anything else", the options would include a sight gauge and a thermometer. You can live without either - that's why they're "options"...

Cheers!

oldhat 10-10-2012 11:39 PM

So I can do with the 2 piece? It's just a matter of $10 extra...

mattd2 10-10-2012 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by day_trippr (Post 4487928)
The difference is the 3-piece can be torn down with 2 small spanners to be thoroughly cleaned, the 2-peice needs 2 larger spanners. If that matters.



Some folks use boil screens (aka "bazooka" tubes) in their boil kettles, some don't. I don't.

As for "anything else", the options would include a sight gauge and a thermometer. You can live without either - that's why they're "options"...

Cheers!

Fixed that for you :D

LandoLincoln 10-10-2012 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldhat (Post 4487988)
So I can do with the 2 piece? It's just a matter of $10 extra...

You can break down a two-piece. I put one end of my two-piece in a vise and then use an adjustable wrench to unscrew the two pieces.

That said, I like my three-piece valves better. I'd spend the extra $10 if I were you.

oldhat 10-11-2012 12:47 AM

Okay, thanks. Another question if you don't mind, what hose fits on to this? Or will I need an something to attach?

Apologies if the question is too basic. I'm really new to this.

oldhat 10-11-2012 01:13 AM

And never mind, just got that answered for me.

I'll also need this.
http://hopdawgs.ca/Equipment/fittings?product_id=289

Psych 10-11-2012 01:22 AM

Big point for the 3 piece vs the 2, my 2 piece when screwed on just happens to have the stupid handle on the BOTTOM. Because my valve connects to an elbow fitting inside my kettle, the elbow has to point a certain way (down, in my case), so fully screwed in my valve handle is 100% upside down. It's super annoying. If I had a 3 piece I could rotate that mother 90 degrees and fix it!

signmastr 10-11-2012 03:43 PM

I had the upside down valve problem. I used a snap-ring between the valve and fitting. Fixed the problem and you can't see it.

BrewToys 10-12-2012 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldhat (Post 4487882)
Hi there,

So after ages of brewing small batches I'm stepping up a bit and purchasing an 8 gallon brewpot. The one I have in mind is this: http://hopdawgs.ca/Brewing-kettles?product_id=261

My question is, what is the difference between a 2 piece and 3 piece ball valve? Which is the better option? Does it matter?

Also, what other gear will I need for this pot? I imagine a filter for the bottom will be needed. Anything else?

Thank you in advance. :)

I would also go with the 3 piece ball valve. What alot of brewers don't know is that there is a small seat between the ball in the valve and the valve housing that collects liquid. You would think that just running hot wort through this at the end of the brew session would sterilize it, but it doesn't. If you want a clean tasting beer, do with either the three piece ball valve, or just boil the 2 piece ball valve in some water before hooking it up to your pot, this way you don't have to take it apart to clean it. Is customizing your brew kettle for less than the cost of the kettle in your link up top something you would be interested in?


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:31 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.