Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Brew Kettle...Which to choose?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2012, 01:39 AM   #1
Boomjay
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Brew Kettle...Which to choose?

I've only been brewing since June and have two beers under my belt. When I started I bought a cheap ($12) 16 qt stainless steel kettle from Walmart. It served it's purpose. I wasn't sure how involved I was going to get with my new hobby, so I didn't want to go all out...yet! I love brewing beer and wanted to invest in a really good brew kettle. There are so many out there, but I'd love to hear from you professional brewers. I was thinking of upgrading to a 10 gallon megapot (3ply, 5mm bottom) with a valve and a thermometer. Any recommendations?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2012, 01:45 AM   #2
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1218 Times on 806 Posts
Likes Given: 555

Megapots are nice. At the end of the day, though, it's just a metal bucket. It either holds liquid or it doesn't.

Think about the features you want, and from there the decision is usually pretty simple.

"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin

Old 08-16-2012, 01:53 AM   #3
SpikeBrewing
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 54

In my opinion the Megapots are not the best suited for brewing. The tri-bottom is a great marketing pitch but in reality it is not needed. I would recommend our kettle, a Bayou Classic or a Blichmann over a tri-bottom. They are more expensive, heavier and actually slow down heating times. Just my .02

Old 08-16-2012, 02:05 AM   #4
jholen
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

I recently received my SpikeBrewing kettle the other day and can say that I'm fully satisfied. I've been meaning to get some pictures up but work has been busy. Look for pictures come friday.

Old 08-16-2012, 02:18 AM   #5
DeafSmith
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I have a 10 gallon Megapot and I'm very happy with it. I don't have a valve or thermo, but have no trouble using my autosiphon to transfer to my carboy. For the thermometer I just use a meat thermometer with a long probe. I hook the clip on the thermometer to the edge of the pot, then use a binder clip on top of that to provide added security against knocking the thermometer into the wort. Not having any extraneous stuff sticking out into the pot makes stirring and cleanup easier, IMO. And I've never had any scorching from the three electric stove elements I heat with (built my own electric stove from an old range top I got off Craig's List).

Old 08-16-2012, 02:20 AM   #6
shoreman
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Just go with a bayou classic - like it was said before its really just to hold liquid. Ive been using a 5 gallon thin peice of crap I got at job lot for $20 for years and it makes great beer

Small Bottle Homebrew http://www.smallbottlehomebrew.com

Old 08-16-2012, 02:31 AM   #7
chumpsteak
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 12

You can get a 15 gallon Winco brand heavy duty aluminum kettle from amazon shipped to your door for under a hundred bucks with a lid. I have a 15 and a 20 gallon and have had no issues with them. You just boil water in them for 30 minutes before your first brew to form an oxide layer and then you make beer. Aluminum is also much easier to drill than stainless. I used a 7/8 wood drill bit on mine.

On the other hand, stainless if shiny and pretty and I would probably own stainless if I could afford it.

Old 08-16-2012, 02:36 AM   #8
Boomjay
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeBrewing View Post
In my opinion the Megapots are not the best suited for brewing. The tri-bottom is a great marketing pitch but in reality it is not needed. I would recommend our kettle, a Bayou Classic or a Blichmann over a tri-bottom. They are more expensive, heavier and actually slow down heating times. Just my .02
I just checked out the site and they look like great kettles too. Any advantages of the vertical or horizontal set up?

Sure, I'll have another. Beer me!

Old 08-16-2012, 02:39 AM   #9
bertsbeer
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I have a polarware brewrite pot and it is super nice and decently priced. http://www.rebelbrewer.com/shoppingcart/products/Brewrite-Kettle-60qt.html

Old 08-16-2012, 02:46 AM   #10
LandoLincoln
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 500 Times on 300 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I use a keg turned into a 15.5 gallon boil kettle. I like it a lot and it only cost me $30. And it's made of stainless steel. Add a weldless valve, a homemade dip tube and a weldless thermometer / sight glass combo from Bobby M (brewhardware.com) and you're in business.

Quick Reply