The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Brew Kettle for Ceramic Stovetop

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2013, 06:10 PM   #1
Krovitz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Default Brew Kettle for Ceramic Stovetop

Hello Brewers,

I'm trapped with a 16 qt kettle! I have been looking into getting a 10 gal kettle but after some research, I learned they are far too wide for a ceramic stove top. I live in an apartment with no where to put a propane burner. The largest burner is 9 1/2 inches in diameter and Whirlpool recommends no more than a 1/2 inch overhang. My current kettle overhangs more than that without issue and after checking canning websites, they say you shouldn't exceed a 1 inch overhang and the bottom must be flat on ceramic stovetops. I have found a 22 qt kettle from Walmart and a 24 qt kettle online, both have an outside diameter of 12.5 inches (1.5 inch overhang). Those are the smallest I've found and I could still do 3 gallon AG, but do not want to worry about cracking the stovetop.

My question is what are my fellow ceramic stovetop brewers using for a kettle? Anyone have problems with similar sized, flat bottom kettles?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2013, 06:13 PM   #2
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

two suggestions:

1. Get a tall kettle like a turkey fryer pot, granted it's not as large as you'd like, but I've boiled on my glass-top stove with one.
  2. If you have dedicated 220v service in the unit (ie. for dryer) or two 15A circuits that won't be sharing load with anything else, consider going electric.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 03-08-2013, 06:30 PM   #3
maida7
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts

If you are stuck inside I think electric brewing offers the most possibilities.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:01 PM   #4
IslandLizard
Progressive Brewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 264 Times on 239 Posts
Likes Given: 847

I have an 8 gallon, 14" wide, perfectly flat triple-ply-bottom stainless kettle and typically boil 6-6.5 gallons.

Using the largest element on a Kenmore ceramic top. I could not keep a full rolling boil with the lid off.
When moving the kettle over to partially cover a 2nd burner (in the back), I gained more heating capacity, but still could barely keep a rolling boil unless I left the lid partially on. No fan running.

Although the kettle overhang was way more than 1/2 to 1 inch I never saw any problems with the stove top.

When we moved we bought a Samsung stove that features a 13 inch triple element (!). I can keep a decent rolling boil on that with 6-6.5 gallons, but the boil is not as wild as I would like. I have to keep the lid on part-time or partially, to maintain a good energetic rolling boil.

The weight of the filled kettle scares me a bit on that glass top, and I do not dare to move or slide it even the ittiest. No tipping either!

I think the home stove tops can work, but are not perfect, and volumes like that reach their design limits with nothing spare.
I'm looking into using propane, outside.

Preparing: 2'd Clone | Framboise Clone | Raging Bitch Clone #3 | Tank 7 Saison Clone | Fresh Squeezed IPA | Venturing into some Sours, finally...
Fermenting: Arrogant Bastard Clone | ESB
Dry hopping:
Barrel Aging: Old Treacle Mine
On tap: Belgian Wit {1st place @ Free State Homebrew Guild Wheat Beer Comp.} | Black Butte Porter Clone | Pocahontas Pumpkin Ale
Kicked: Raging Bitch Clone #2 | Citra Wheat Saison | Rosemary Wheat Saison | Great Lakes Christmas Ale Clone | Caramel Amber Ale

Old 03-08-2013, 07:06 PM   #5
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I'd be surprised if my burner (Whirlpool glass top) is 10" and it boils 6.5g no problem. It's not jumping out of the pot, but then again it doesn't need to be, and I don't want it to be. It's killing bacteria and evaporating water, so it's fine for me...granted, that was my old method. I quickly went to 110v electric kettles so I could get out of the kitchen and into the basement with more space and privacy, closer to brewing tools, ferm fridge, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 03-09-2013, 04:32 PM   #6
Krovitz
Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Thanks fellas. I'll check out some turkey fryer pots. An ebrewery would be perfect, just think I need a lot more investigating and money.

Quick Reply