Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Brew Buddy(was iBCS or iphone your brewery) based on the bcs-460

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2009, 01:03 PM   #1
np0x
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Brew Buddy(was iBCS or iphone your brewery) based on the bcs-460

So a couple of weeks ago i posted a video on you tube showing my work in progress that gives you iphone control over your brewery:

Yesterday it finally made it's way into the Apple store and got a name change to "BrewBuddy":

iTunes Store

It's like having a star trek esque tri-corder to control your brewery, handheld and portable.

My original thread on northernbrewer took a funny twist as well(totally unrelated to anything) if you are looking for an amusing friendly flame war.

The Northern Brewer Homebrew Forum • View topic - iphone control my brewery...

This all started with: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/bcs-460-beta-test-87456/

I have no affiliation with the bcs-460 other than being a beta tester, the interface was wide open and the creation of an android(google phone) app
or any other ui is completely supported by the open http based protocol with the bcs.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2009, 03:02 PM   #2
ClaudiusB
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Quote:
My original thread on northernbrewer took a funny twist as well(totally unrelated to anything) if you are looking for an amusing friendly flame war.
I have been reading all your post on NB, you are doing a great job.

Quote:
work in progress that gives you iphone control over your brewery:
I love gadgets, high tech brewing equipment, but sorry to say I don't like cell phones or use one on a daily basis.

Great job,
ClaudiusB

Old 03-31-2009, 12:38 AM   #3
np0x
Recipes 

Default Tossed some screen shots up

I put some screen shots of the app up on my website, cause I think that's really helps see what is going on.

http://software.druidhillroad.com/

Get Brew Buddy to control your bcs-460 brewery... Brewery Automation for the masses...

Old 03-31-2009, 01:17 AM   #4
kladue
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 43 Posts

I wonder what the response would be to a fully automated system with initial ingredient fill and post brew cleanup as the only manual activities.

Old 03-31-2009, 01:27 AM   #5
np0x
Recipes 

Default hire some help

I think the response would be to go hire someone to do the initial fill and the cleanup and leave it at that. Or go to the beer store, but I would expect some heat if I went that far...

Get Brew Buddy to control your bcs-460 brewery... Brewery Automation for the masses...

Old 03-31-2009, 01:46 AM   #6
kladue
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 43 Posts

Well I might be able to coerce SWMBO to fill the grain hopper, hop bags, and connect the fermentor, but would still be stuck with cleanup. The remote operation aspect is interesting, but that would entail even more code to write, as I am still working on code and graphics for implementation of touch screen control.

Old 03-31-2009, 01:55 AM   #7
np0x
Recipes 

yeah, the remote aspect is interesting, but not the driving force...its more about automation and consistency for me. I also gain some time by having steps on a level of autopilot while I do other things like weigh hops, or clean up the brewing area. Generally all the remote I really need is the couch when it's cold outside...but I do sometimes run out for lunch while brewing...has to be well timed, but I have done it multiple times by now. When I get back it's sitting at mash out temp or on it's way there...

Quick Reply