New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Bought an old jockey box on CL, how to clean it?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2011, 04:21 PM   #1
vince805
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Bought an old jockey box on CL, how to clean it?

I bought an old jockey box on craigslist, and want to use it this weekend for new years eve party. The guy said he hadnt used it in a couple years. There is no smell or anything growing anywhere, so I dont think it is in too bad of shape. I plan on running some PBW through it a few times, then water to rinse it. Then some starsan. Do you guys think that would be good enough? Anything else you would do?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2011, 04:29 PM   #2
Double_D
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 76

I'd take the taps apart and soak them to make sure nothing was inside but other than that I think you're good. And you might think about replacing the line if it's the stuff that's been sitting there.

Old 12-28-2011, 04:43 PM   #3
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1658 Times on 1204 Posts
Likes Given: 941

Is it a cold plate style?

Old 12-28-2011, 05:04 PM   #4
vince805
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double_D View Post
I'd take the taps apart and soak them to make sure nothing was inside but other than that I think you're good. And you might think about replacing the line if it's the stuff that's been sitting there.
Good point. The taps look pretty bad, and I am replacing them and the shanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Is it a cold plate style?
It has an aluminum coil.

Old 12-28-2011, 05:08 PM   #5
Double_D
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 76

I've never seen a cold plate style jockey box. Have any pics? I'm interested.

Old 12-28-2011, 05:43 PM   #6
LordUlrich
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince805

It has an aluminum coil.
Are you sure it is not stainless? I would be nervous about running finished beer through aluminium.

Don't take any more faith in anything I say than you would anyone else on the internet. If you listen to what I say, then hurt your self or break something it is your own fault, I am just expressing my opinion or experience.
THINK for your self!!

Old 12-28-2011, 07:00 PM   #7
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1658 Times on 1204 Posts
Likes Given: 941

Stainless is expensive and not as good of a conductor as Aluminum or copper, but safer for serving the pH of finished beer. I think most of them I've seen use a cold plate design.

If finished beer sits in the copper or aluminum serving lines, it can leach the metal and lead to health problem, so the theory goes anyway. Some consider copper to be a viable material as long as the beer is not stored in the lines for very long.

Old 12-28-2011, 07:25 PM   #8
Shockerengr
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordUlrich View Post
Are you sure it is not stainless? I would be nervous about running finished beer through aluminium.
Lot's of beer sits in aluminum cans....and aluminum conducts heat better than stainless. Overall it'd be a lot better than copper.

That said, I'd agree that it's probably stainless. Al wouldn't be very durable in a jockey box.

Give it a good cleaning and you should be good to go. My jockey box uses a cold plate that had sat unused for almost 30 years, works just fine.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:22 PM   #9
LordUlrich
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockerengr

Lot's of beer sits in aluminum cans....and aluminum conducts heat better than stainless. Overall it'd be a lot better than copper.

That said, I'd agree that it's probably stainless. Al wouldn't be very durable in a jockey box.

Give it a good cleaning and you should be good to go. My jockey box uses a cold plate that had sat unused for almost 30 years, works just fine.
Aluminum cans have a thin liner, the beer never touches the aluminum.
As far as copper is concerned, copper is involved in some staling reactions. It is fine in wort, but the yeast consumes most of the copper.

Don't take any more faith in anything I say than you would anyone else on the internet. If you listen to what I say, then hurt your self or break something it is your own fault, I am just expressing my opinion or experience.
THINK for your self!!

Old 12-29-2011, 02:19 AM   #10
gnef
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I have a number of Jockey boxes, all using cold plates (2 pass, 5 pass, and 6 pass).

I would highly recommend replacing any tubing that came with it.

I would also recommend you to use BLC rather than PBW to run through the lines, let it soak, and do the same with the shanks and faucets. The rest would be done as you said, water, then starsan.

While you are flushing the lines, make sure to keep an eye to see if there are any leaks, and address those as you go. You definitely don't want to be serving at your event and trying to fix a leak (I've been there and done that - no fun at all).

Also, after you have used it, make sure to flush out all beer from the lines, and let the inside dry out. Mold grows amazingly fast inside a wet cooler - I've also made this mistake numerous times, and had to replace the coolers a couple of times.

I use chrome plated brass hardware for my jockey boxes (at this point, probably just brass), but I don't mind since I use them for events where the beer is flowing pretty quickly, and only for a few hours. If you have the money though, you can think about upgrading to all stainless hardware.

Walk-In Serving(14): Oatmeal Stout, Hard Cider, Belgian Tripel, Liquid Stupid, Belgian Dark Strong, Red Bull, Rye IPA, Double IPA, Imperial Stout, Irish Red, Scottish 70/-, Belgian Wit, Nut Brown, Traditional Mead
Walk-In Cold Storage(~50): Cysers, Braggot, Melomels, Ciders, Traditional Meads, Persimmon wines, Dry Stout, barleywine, cream ale, sodas, Chocolate stout, milk stout, and others I can't recall.
Fermenters (0): Nothing current.

Quick Reply