New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Bottles, and swing top bottle washers with sour beer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2013, 04:27 PM   #1
SemperFermentis
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Bottles, and swing top bottle washers with sour beer

I know that when you make (or accidentally make) a sour that the hard plastics can be sanitized (although I don't take that chance) while the softer plastics cannot be 100% disinfected once they come in contact with the bacteria.

What about the rubber washers on swing top bottles? I assume that this is the same as the softer plastics, but I wanted to know if anyone had experience with this first hand.

Also, does anyone keep separate bottles for their sours? If not, what sanitation steps do you take when using a previously 'sour' bottle for a non-sour beer?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2013, 05:28 PM   #2
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2143 Times on 1452 Posts
Likes Given: 2102

The need for seperate equipment in a home brewery for beers with bacteria or wild yeast is greatly exagerated. I replace my autosiphon and tubing at least twice a year, but I'd do that anway. I also soak stuff in starasn, maybe not every time I use it, but every few times for sure. I brew at least once a week and am yet to have any cross contamination between batches.

Keeping your bottles clean is easy. Soak them in oxyclean, rinse with starsan before bottling. I only and think I've had two individual bottles infected in the last year, which is under .1%.

Brew as I say, not as I brew.

Old 09-28-2013, 02:06 PM   #3
SemperFermentis

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNGabe View Post
The need for seperate equipment in a home brewery for beers with bacteria or wild yeast is greatly exagerated. I replace my autosiphon and tubing at least twice a year, but I'd do that anway. I also soak stuff in starasn, maybe not every time I use it, but every few times for sure. I brew at least once a week and am yet to have any cross contamination between batches.

Keeping your bottles clean is easy. Soak them in oxyclean, rinse with starsan before bottling. I only and think I've had two individual bottles infected in the last year, which is under .1%.
Ok, but are you doing sours as well?

Old 09-28-2013, 05:38 PM   #4
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2143 Times on 1452 Posts
Likes Given: 2102

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFermentis
Ok, but are you doing sours as well?
I thought that was implied by my answer. I'd say 75% of my beers are wild.

Brew as I say, not as I brew.

Old 09-29-2013, 01:46 AM   #5
eastoak
Recipes 

Liked 143 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 79

i do the same as TNGabe, about 40% of the beer i brew is sour and none of my equipment is segregated including my kegs. in the 3 yrs i've been doing this i have never had an unintentional sour beer.

Old 09-30-2013, 03:36 PM   #6
SemperFermentis

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well then, seems that I'm not as clean as I thought. Back to the forums...

Quick Reply