Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Bottles soak in one-step too long?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2008, 09:12 PM   #1
pktshc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Bottles soak in one-step too long?

Greetings from Columbus, OH-
I was sanitizing my bottles before bottling a batch of wheat beer when I was forced to abandon my bottles and tend to a homeownership emergency. Unfortunately, the bottles soaked in one-step for more than 24hours. When I was able to return to them I noticed that they had a chalky film on them. I have rinsed them all off again, but the film is still present on the outside and inside of the bottles. I have not bottled the wheat and will not until I figure out exactly what to do.

My questions are as follows:
1. Did I ruin 54 bottles? God I hope not.
2. How can I save them?
3. Will that residue ruin my wheat beer if I tried to bottle it anyway.

Thoughts? Thanks- Jeff

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2008, 10:19 PM   #2
Bad Shark Brew
Recipes 

I'm not that familiar with one step, but it sounds like it's just residue from the cleaner. I get the same thing if I leave stuff in starsan too long. I would try running them through your dishwasher (no detergent) and see if that helps any.

Kegged: Stout, Blonde Ale
Bottled: Dust
Upcoming: APA, Summer Ale

Old 04-17-2008, 10:30 PM   #3
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

that's one of the reasons i quit using one-step. I don't like that residue...whether its harmful or not to the beer flavor, its just unsightly.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 04-17-2008, 10:47 PM   #4
PapaWood
Recipes 

One Step is oxygen based so the film shouldn't hurt. To be safe why not boil some bottles, or use more one step and rinse

Woody's Spare Oom' Brewery(1) Carboy - Cleaned and Ready for a Magic Hat #9 Clone or a Irish Red Ale
(2) Carboy - needa order 2 and 3 still ;)
Bottled - Oatmeal Honey Stout!

Old 04-17-2008, 11:46 PM   #5
jca
Recipes 

Okay, see if I remember this right One step is sodium percarbonate and sodium silicate. The sodium percarbonate breaks down into hydrogen peroxcide (the sanitizer) and sodium carbonate. The hydrogen peroxcide then breaks down in to water and oxygen. The sodiium carbonate is used as a water softener and precipitates out calcium carbonate that was already in the water. I believe is what you're seeing. Maybe something that took Chemistry less than two decades ago could fill in some more.

In any case, those are all minerals in normal drinking water and are safe.

Old 04-18-2008, 12:16 AM   #6
imasickboy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Vinegar should remove the residue, or so I've read somewhere.

Old 04-18-2008, 06:09 PM   #7
pktshc
Recipes 

Thanks, everyone. I will try a little of everything. Perhaps a vinegar bath followed by a run through the dishwasher. Then, for the final touch, another soak (not as long) in the One-step.

Thanks again!

JAH

Old 04-19-2008, 01:52 PM   #8
fratermus
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

when I get a chalky res from oxyclean I put the bottles in a bucket with a splash of vinegar. Works fine.

Then I use the bottle cleaner sprayer to blast out the inside and water hose to rinse off the outside.

Batch history | yeast slants | Suspending yeast

Old 04-19-2008, 02:54 PM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Yeah just rinse them thoroughly again, then re sanitize...But get rid of that crappy onestep and get a real no-rinse sanitizer like iodophor or starsan....

[rant]I wished that they'd quit peddling onestep to new brewers and/or quit skirting the line on whether or not it is a sanitizer or cleanser... Or at least PAY for USDA sanitizer certification once and for all...it's not like they can't afford the certification....They have contracts with ALL the major kit vendors including MR Beer to supply there horrid product with kits....they must make enough to pay for the litsting....

If you want to read about onestep the real sanitizers check this thread out...http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=54932

[/rant]

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply