Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Bottle Sanitizing Question...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2006, 11:32 PM   #1
evans5150
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Bottle Sanitizing Question...

Hello all,

I am a first time poster and just pitched my Nottingham yeast in my first 5 gallon batch EVER yesterday. I have been wanting to do this for a long time and finally decided that this was the time to do it. I am very excited and have just finished reading "Homebrewing for Dummies". I will be getting some of the other books I have seen suggested on here.

My question is this: I have 48 bottles that I need to sanitize. I used chlorine bleach to sanitize all of my other homebrewing items but I am stuck when it comes to the bottles. All of our faucet's in the house will NOT accept a screw on item like a bottle washer. Our biggest sink will only fit about 10 bottles at a time fully submerged and that is the kitchen sink. Does anyone have any suggestions for me to sanitize these bottles correctly?

Thanks,

evans5150

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2006, 11:46 PM   #2
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Do you have a hand wand in your shower? Take the shower attachment off and use that hose and plenty of hot water.

Old 01-02-2006, 04:39 AM   #3
Nwcw2001
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

3 ideas for ya!

1 go to homedepot and buy a couple 2 or 3 of the Homer Buckets (5 gallon orange) fill with water and drop in your sanitizer and drop the bottles in. each will hold about 15 bottles or more depending on how you drop them in.

2. run them through your dishwasher on rinse cycle with your sanitizer in the dishwasher. I have my hot water turned up pretty high so it works pretty good.
3. ya got a tub. Fill it up and put in your bottles and sanitizer.

hope this helps!

John

Old 01-02-2006, 05:07 AM   #4
Genghis77

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Might look into a faucet adapter like used for portable dishwashers. It consists of a rubber adapter, clamp and hose.

Also if your kitchen faucet has an aerator, it will come off and has threads typically.

Old 01-02-2006, 01:54 PM   #5
usmcruz
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwcw2001
3 ideas for ya!

1 go to homedepot and buy a couple 2 or 3 of the Homer Buckets (5 gallon orange) fill with water and drop in your sanitizer and drop the bottles in. each will hold about 15 bottles or more depending on how you drop them in.

2. run them through your dishwasher on rinse cycle with your sanitizer in the dishwasher. I have my hot water turned up pretty high so it works pretty good.
3. ya got a tub. Fill it up and put in your bottles and sanitizer.

hope this helps!

John

Not trying to pick on you, but running them in the dishwasher sometime leaves a residue that you cant see and kills the head on your beer

Old 01-02-2006, 02:03 PM   #6
usmcruz
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by evans5150
Hello all,

I am a first time poster and just pitched my Nottingham yeast in my first 5 gallon batch EVER yesterday. I have been wanting to do this for a long time and finally decided that this was the time to do it. I am very excited and have just finished reading "Homebrewing for Dummies". I will be getting some of the other books I have seen suggested on here.

My question is this: I have 48 bottles that I need to sanitize. I used chlorine bleach to sanitize all of my other homebrewing items but I am stuck when it comes to the bottles. All of our faucet's in the house will NOT accept a screw on item like a bottle washer. Our biggest sink will only fit about 10 bottles at a time fully submerged and that is the kitchen sink. Does anyone have any suggestions for me to sanitize these bottles correctly?

Thanks,

evans5150

First off, Please stop using bleach. Bleach is something that you dont want your brew to touch. Rinsing bleach off is not enough sometimes. It leaves a residue. Order some pbw (powdered brewery wash) from a homebrew store and get a rubbermaid tub and soak them overnight in a weak solution of 1/2 ounce per gallon. If your soaking them overnight then a strong solution is not needed. Next morning which will be bottling day, run a brush inside the bottle. Doesnt take much with pbw, most of the bottles will be spotless to begin with. Invest in a bottle tree with a sanitizer top. It will be the best investment you make. I have all kind of nice stainless steel equipment and i wouldnt trade that bottle tree and sanitizer top for nothing. Not even a new stainless steel fermenter. Get the iodine sanitizer and all it takes is a 1/4 of a capful of iodine in the bottle sanitize with some water. Press your bottles over it and it shoots sanitizer in your bottle. No rinsing, just go and place the sanitized bottle on the bottle tree and your done

Old 01-02-2006, 03:09 PM   #7
ian

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcruz
Not trying to pick on you, but running them in the dishwasher sometime leaves a residue that you cant see and kills the head on your beer
Really?? I've been running mine through there for every batch. Although my beer doesn't have much head on it, there is some. Maybe this is why . . .

Old 01-02-2006, 03:19 PM   #8
usmcruz
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian
Really?? I've been running mine through there for every batch. Although my beer doesn't have much head on it, there is some. Maybe this is why . . .

That is why allot of prestigous micro brewery's handwash there glasses or have a special machine to wash with hot water and sanitizer not powdered soap or harsh chemicals, but putting your bottles in the dishwasher will definately destroy a beer. Think of the residue in your beer bottle like that product anti foam that you use during fermentation to keep the foam down, same principle. Cheers

Old 01-02-2006, 05:42 PM   #9
evans5150
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcruz
First off, Please stop using bleach. Bleach is something that you dont want your brew to touch. Rinsing bleach off is not enough sometimes. It leaves a residue. Order some pbw (powdered brewery wash) from a homebrew store and get a rubbermaid tub and soak them overnight in a weak solution of 1/2 ounce per gallon. If your soaking them overnight then a strong solution is not needed. Next morning which will be bottling day, run a brush inside the bottle. Doesnt take much with pbw, most of the bottles will be spotless to begin with. Invest in a bottle tree with a sanitizer top. It will be the best investment you make. I have all kind of nice stainless steel equipment and i wouldnt trade that bottle tree and sanitizer top for nothing. Not even a new stainless steel fermenter. Get the iodine sanitizer and all it takes is a 1/4 of a capful of iodine in the bottle sanitize with some water. Press your bottles over it and it shoots sanitizer in your bottle. No rinsing, just go and place the sanitized bottle on the bottle tree and your done
I'm diluting the bleach at 1 tablespoon per gallon of water for cleaning all of the other items...not the bottles. I was told by my local homebrewing shop to hand wash all of my items in this diluted solution and then let it dry for one hour. By this time all of the bleach fumes are gone and there is no bleach left to touch the beer (we live in a VERY low humidity environment so things dry FAST up here). Do you think it would work if I got a large tub and soaked the bottles in that low solution of bleach for about an hour?

Also...I'm confused with your statements above. Are you saying to get both the PBW and the iodine as well as the bottle tree? I like the idea of the bottle tree and will need to call my local homebrewer to see if they carry one.

Thanks again for all of the suggestions.

evans5150

Old 01-02-2006, 06:58 PM   #10
El Pistolero

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by evans5150
I'm diluting the bleach at 1 tablespoon per gallon
If you're going to use bleach for sanitizing, 1 teaspoon of bleach per gallon of water is the proper dilution for no-rinse sanitizing (this according to Papazian). I personally wouldn't use bleach without rinsing, but many do without problems.

The best solution, IMHO of course, is to use a good detergent, such as PBW, for cleaning, and a no rinse sanitizer, such as iodophor, for sanitizing. You can certainly use bleach for a lot of the light cleaning chores, but you need to remember to keep it away from your stainless steel. For cleaning tough stuff, nothing beats PBW. For removing labels (and cleaning tough stuff too), oxyclean is good, but you've got to remember to rinse the crap out of it.

[/I] Up Next - Hobgoblin
After That - Czech Pilsner
Primary - Humboldt Hop Rod (4/24)
Primary - NOT Wheat AG SNCA (5/5)
Secondary -
Conditioning - SNCA Clone (3/3),

Quick Reply