Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Be Bottle and a Saison Yeast...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2013, 10:13 PM   #1
RLinNH
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Be Bottle and a Saison Yeast...

So I fermented a Saison, with White Labs 565. It is my understanding that this yeast strain has a touch of Brett i it. Would you never ferment another Ale/Non Brett Beer in these carboys? I spaced it until I was at the homebrew shop talking to the boys. One of them brought up how I switched all of my 8 Primaries to plastic, I brought up the Saison, and one thing led to another. I am thinking right now that I now have 2 BB Carboys that are my new Sour/Saison Primaries. Wat's your opinion? Think I'd be safe fermenting an Ale in these Carboys?

On DeckAnother Mild
Primary Camper's Delight 9
Secondary nope
Bottled SSBC Club Brew 2013
Kegged Camper's Delight 8
On Tap MaiBock

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 10:22 PM   #2
nsrooen

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

The rule of thumb is any plastic piece of equipment that a sour has touched now becomes your sour equipment, this would of course include a plastic carboy. Mark it as such and keep it separate. To much of a chance that you will start to cross contaminate your "clean" brews.

Old 02-09-2013, 03:34 AM   #3
greyhoundbrewing
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

im calling shanagins. sanitize and you will be fine. im sure if bacteria can reach the deepest scratches so can a molecule of starsan or iodophor or bleach or any molecule.

Old 02-09-2013, 02:31 PM   #4
nsrooen

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhoundbrewing View Post
im calling shanagins. sanitize and you will be fine. im sure if bacteria can reach the deepest scratches so can a molecule of starsan or iodophor or bleach or any molecule.
I disagree with you on this. Why take the chance.

Old 02-09-2013, 11:50 PM   #5
RLinNH

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Thanks for the replies. I am going with what my gut here, and it says do not let anything but a sour touch tha carboy. So it looks like I need to buy 2 more BB 6 gallon carboys.

On DeckAnother Mild
Primary Camper's Delight 9
Secondary nope
Bottled SSBC Club Brew 2013
Kegged Camper's Delight 8
On Tap MaiBock

Quick Reply