Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Be Bottle and a Saison Yeast...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2013, 10:13 PM   #1
RLinNH
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Be Bottle and a Saison Yeast...

So I fermented a Saison, with White Labs 565. It is my understanding that this yeast strain has a touch of Brett i it. Would you never ferment another Ale/Non Brett Beer in these carboys? I spaced it until I was at the homebrew shop talking to the boys. One of them brought up how I switched all of my 8 Primaries to plastic, I brought up the Saison, and one thing led to another. I am thinking right now that I now have 2 BB Carboys that are my new Sour/Saison Primaries. Wat's your opinion? Think I'd be safe fermenting an Ale in these Carboys?

On DeckWitches Brew IPA
Primary Bee Cave Kolsch, Simcoe Sevada
Secondary nope
Bottled SSBC Club Brew 2013
Kegged Bee Cave Kolsch
On Tap Bee Cave Kolsch

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 10:22 PM   #2
nsrooen

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

The rule of thumb is any plastic piece of equipment that a sour has touched now becomes your sour equipment, this would of course include a plastic carboy. Mark it as such and keep it separate. To much of a chance that you will start to cross contaminate your "clean" brews.

Old 02-09-2013, 03:34 AM   #3
greyhoundbrewing
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

im calling shanagins. sanitize and you will be fine. im sure if bacteria can reach the deepest scratches so can a molecule of starsan or iodophor or bleach or any molecule.

Old 02-09-2013, 02:31 PM   #4
nsrooen

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhoundbrewing View Post
im calling shanagins. sanitize and you will be fine. im sure if bacteria can reach the deepest scratches so can a molecule of starsan or iodophor or bleach or any molecule.
I disagree with you on this. Why take the chance.

Old 02-09-2013, 11:50 PM   #5
RLinNH

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Thanks for the replies. I am going with what my gut here, and it says do not let anything but a sour touch tha carboy. So it looks like I need to buy 2 more BB 6 gallon carboys.

On DeckWitches Brew IPA
Primary Bee Cave Kolsch, Simcoe Sevada
Secondary nope
Bottled SSBC Club Brew 2013
Kegged Bee Cave Kolsch
On Tap Bee Cave Kolsch

Quick Reply