The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Bottle Cleansing Question (LD Carlson cleaner)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2007, 07:12 PM   #1
mathieu
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Bottle Cleansing Question (LD Carlson cleaner)

OKay. I'm bottling today -- and this is my 4th batch -- but I never know what way to go on the following:
1. Should I just use the LD Carlson's and then bottle right away or should I let the bottles air dry first?
2. In the past, not trusting the Carlson to not affect the taste or poison me, I've given the bottles a quick rinse in tap water. Is this cool?
3. If you were to let the bottles air dry wouldn't you risk contaminating them?
4. I am I cool to just rinse them with the Carlson's and then go straight to bottling, without air drying?

Man, I'm paranoid.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2007, 11:43 PM   #2
mathieu
Recipes 

Well, I went ahead and did the deed. I used the Carlson's and didn't rinse with water. (Man, I made a mess; when I started the siphon into the bottling bucket I sprayed my wife with beer.)

Anyway, I'm still interested in knowing whether or not you should let the bottles air dry.

Thanks

Old 06-10-2007, 11:58 PM   #3
Barley-Davidson

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathieu
Anyway, I'm still interested in knowing whether or not you should let the bottles air dry.
You don't need to let the bottles dry before filling. You should be using a sanitizer rather than a cleaner, though.

LD Carlson is a no rinse cleaner so you shouldn't have any problems from using it, but there may be some beasties hiding in your bottles. Probably not, so don't worry about it - but look for a sanitizer for next time.

I use Starsan, I've used a bleach solution, and lots of others use Iodophor or sterlize bottles in the dishwasher or oven. Do some searches and you'll turn up lots of different methods that all work.

Old 07-01-2007, 09:55 PM   #4
mathieu
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barley-Davidson
You don't need to let the bottles dry before filling. You should be using a sanitizer rather than a cleaner, though.

LD Carlson is a no rinse cleaner so you shouldn't have any problems from using it, but there may be some beasties hiding in your bottles. Probably not, so don't worry about it - but look for a sanitizer for next time.

I use Starsan, I've used a bleach solution, and lots of others use Iodophor or sterlize bottles in the dishwasher or oven. Do some searches and you'll turn up lots of different methods that all work.
Didn't see your ans until just now. Thanks for clearing that up. My raspberry ale came out well. I lucked out I guess.

Thanks again.

Old 07-02-2007, 01:27 AM   #5
FSR402
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barley-Davidson

If he has the LD Carlson cleaner I'm guessing he brewed a Brewers Best kit. If that's the case that "cleaner" is a one step cleaner/sanitizer, or so they say.
I still use the Starsan anyways but I would rather be safe then have to dump out beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cad View Post
Its nice when you and your friends have comparable equipment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker-san View Post
some people will tap anything that has a hole.
Buy Two Fisted Brewing gear

Old 07-02-2007, 01:08 PM   #6
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Carlson makes Straight-A cleaner...and One-Step sanitizer.

clean first, sanitize second. preferrably clean after use, sanitize immediately before bottling. a bottle tree is hella handy for letting bottles drain after sanitizing and preventing wild yeast from falling back into the bottle.

Quick Reply