Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Bottle Cappers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2009, 09:40 PM   #1
OregonBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Bottle Cappers

Recently, i capped a batch using the capper that was supplied to me in my starter kit. It is just like this one:

EMILY CAPPER @ Williams Brewing

Generally, i Keg the beers. But this batch was my buddies and he wanted them bottled. Could it be possible that the capper did not seal the caps? None of the bottles are leaking when you turn them upside down.

Also, does anyone have any suggestions on a different capper? I look forward to your responses.

Thanks Jon

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2009, 09:45 PM   #2
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Is there a specific reason why you don't think the caps are sealed?!?!

Old 06-30-2009, 09:52 PM   #3
OregonBrewer
Recipes 

Yeah, all of the beers minus one are completely flat.

The only other possibility would be that we did not use enough priming sugar in the bottling bucket. I have bottled one other batch using the same volume of priming sugar and the same capper and it came out perfect. Didn't have one beer that was flat from that batch.

Thanks for the response!

Old 06-30-2009, 10:18 PM   #4
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

How long have the bottles been carbonating and at what temperature?

Are you are using bottles that can be recapped, not twist offs?

Old 07-01-2009, 05:45 AM   #5
OregonBrewer
Recipes 

Yeah, the bottles are designed to be re-capped (not twist tops). The bottles have been carbonating for about 7 weeks now. They have been stored in a dark closet at room temp, approx. 65 degrees.

I am thinking the capper is not capping them properly. Should this capper leave some sort of mark, or indent in the top? I noticed that none of these bottles show an indent. On my first bottled batch most of the caps showed an indent.

Old 07-01-2009, 01:17 PM   #6
Whiskey
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

First thing I'd do is rouse the yeast by turning the bottles over then rolling them in your hands. Then move them to a warmer spot somewhere in the 70's, and check back in a couple of weeks.

My capper does not always leave indents.

Also what kind of beer is it?

Old 07-01-2009, 03:09 PM   #7
OregonBrewer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
First thing I'd do is rouse the yeast by turning the bottles over then rolling them in your hands. Then move them to a warmer spot somewhere in the 70's, and check back in a couple of weeks.

My capper does not always leave indents.

Also what kind of beer is it?
It is an Amber, we used Wyeast 1056. So, you think that by rolling the bottles, moving to a higher temp environment that the beer still has a chance?

That is great news! Thanks for the reply. Will try it and get back with some results.

Old 07-01-2009, 04:55 PM   #8
Arkador
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Never had a flat beer with my Emily Capper yet. I soak my caps in Starsan solution before use, and think that them being wet probably helps the seal.

+1 on rouse the yeasties, and get them to a 70degree area for a couple weeks.

Old 07-01-2009, 05:07 PM   #9
Whiskey
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonBrewer View Post
It is an Amber, we used Wyeast 1056. So, you think that by rolling the bottles, moving to a higher temp environment that the beer still has a chance?

That is great news! Thanks for the reply. Will try it and get back with some results.

I actually had the same issue with a batch of Blonde a few weeks ago. I tend to carb slightly lower then Style, but this was pretty much flat, got a small "psst" whan I opened the cap, and had a little bit of head but was completely flat. I had been storing them in the laundry room which at the time was staying about 65ish degrees.

I grabbed each by the neck and gently rolled each to disturb the yeast. I moved them to the garage which at the time was staying about 72-75 and that batch is now well carbed. I've used the same process in the past with great results.

It will not fix a lack of priming sugar issue, but sometimes the yeast is just a bit too cold to get a good carbonation.

Other then that it is just patience. Every so often I get a batch that just takes a few extra weeks to get a good carb.

Old 07-15-2009, 10:07 PM   #10
OregonBrewer
Recipes 

I went back to check the bottle date, it was 5-3-2009. It is now 7-15-2009, Going on 12weeks in the bottle. I am not planning on dumping them. However, i am considering carefully transferring them to an empty keg and applying co2 to get them carbed. The beer tastes fine except that it is flat.

Does Wyeast liquid yeast take longer to carb than other powdered yeast? If yes, then what would be the average time of carbonation while using a liquid yeast?

Does anyone have any similar experience with Wyeast that they could share?

Thanks to all that have provided feedback thus far, it is very much appreciated.

Quick Reply