Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > boring out quick connects

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2011, 02:18 PM   #1
tch1980
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default boring out quick connects

I've been having trouble with my chugger cavitating. I spoke to them and they said it needs full 1/2" flow to the inlet. Has anyone tried to bore out the SS Bargin Fitting connectors or have any other solutions to the problem. I really don't want to take a drill to all the fittings I just bought.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2011, 02:37 PM   #2
drumming102
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Use a threaded connection or a street elbow and NOT barbes.

Primary -
Secondary -
Conditioning -Coffee Ground Stout, Ed's crazy Apfelwein
Drinking - American light, Blue Moon Clone
On Tap- English bitter, BB Octoberfest, BB IPA
Surly Midget Brewery

Old 03-02-2011, 02:43 PM   #3
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 165 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 4

That pump is useless imo if it needs a full 1/2" to work. My 2 march pumps work flawlessly with ye old brass qd's.

_

Old 03-02-2011, 02:55 PM   #4
tch1980
Recipes 

I have a March running beside it. They said the bore is smaller and it runs fine. I'm trying to avoid buying more fittings. But I guess I may have to. When I get the chugger to pump it runs great and it is quiet too. Just need to work the bugs out of my system.

Old 03-02-2011, 03:18 PM   #5
wildwest450
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tch1980 View Post
I have a March running beside it. They said the bore is smaller and it runs fine. I'm trying to avoid buying more fittings. But I guess I may have to. When I get the chugger to pump it runs great and it is quiet too. Just need to work the bugs out of my system.
That sucks, considering I got my pump new for $7 more than a stainless head chugger.

-

Old 03-02-2011, 03:24 PM   #6
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

The march pumps and chugger pumps are pretty much identical. If you're into stainless heads and don't want to pay $$$, then a chugger is the way to go. They both have similar priming issues, which makes the application of such a pump a real PITA. They're designed to stay primed, which is hard to do when using QD's that get swapped.

Old 03-02-2011, 03:33 PM   #7
bbognerks
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Weird. I haven't had any problems with my SS Chugger. I used Bobby's method for connecting hoses though. Just used street 90s and threaded the hoses on instead of using hose barbs. I would say your issue isn't the QDs themselves, but how you are connecting the hose to the QDs.

Another note, my friend bought some thin wall silicone hose that would collapse when the pump was turned on. Make sure your input hose isn't collapsing. I currently use 1/2" ID 3/4" OD silicone hose with no issues.

Old 03-02-2011, 03:36 PM   #8
wildwest450
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
If you're into stainless heads and don't want to pay $$$, then a chugger is the way to go.
That's the part I don't get. Everything in the head is polysulphone. It's like having a plastic brewpot and putting a stainless ball valve on it. I still have yet to have any priming issues with my pumps(3). Just a little learning curve.

Old 03-02-2011, 04:11 PM   #9
bbognerks
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yes, but you don't see the polysulphone. The head is just bling, with a little durability. But really, who is screwing fittings on and off the heads all day long, right? I do like the bling though, and it was still cheaper than the non-bling March.

Old 03-02-2011, 04:22 PM   #10
tch1980
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbognerks View Post
Weird. I haven't had any problems with my SS Chugger. I used Bobby's method for connecting hoses though. Just used street 90s and threaded the hoses on instead of using hose barbs. I would say your issue isn't the QDs themselves, but how you are connecting the hose to the QDs.

Another note, my friend bought some thin wall silicone hose that would collapse when the pump was turned on. Make sure your input hose isn't collapsing. I currently use 1/2" ID 3/4" OD silicone hose with no issues.
The QD's I'm using are 1/2" but they are not full flow. more like 3/8" my tubing is 1/2 X 3/4 silicone. I'll look into getting the street 90's. they also said that may be part of the problem restricting the flow at the inlet because I have a threaded 90 off the inlet with a male QD after it.

Quick Reply