Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Boilermaker Heatshield- I did a dumb thing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2011, 02:01 PM   #1
rcrabb22
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default Boilermaker Heatshield- I did a dumb thing

I recently bought the Blichmann 20 gal Boilermaker kettle. After 2 trial boils runs I had water boiling in the sight glass so I decided to use the 10"x6" stainless steel sheet heat shield to deflect the heat away from the sight glass per the kettle's instructions.

I failed to notice the peel off clear plastic sheet protective covering on the SS sheet and after a couple of minutes of flame the smell of melting plastic and smoke presented itself. I shut down right away and drained the kettle but of course, the plastic was now melted to the shield and it ain't comin' off easy. The good thing is the plastic did not melt on the kettle. The temperature of the water must have kept the sheet cool enough to stop the transfer.

Dag Nabbit!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2011, 04:31 PM   #2
Coldies
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Elbow grease.......

Old 02-01-2011, 04:42 PM   #3
Bokonon
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Join the club. I only looked at one side and didn't notice the other side had the plastic on it. I haven't worked at removing it yet, I might just take a torch to it and burn it off.

Old 02-01-2011, 04:54 PM   #4
rcrabb22

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokonon View Post
Join the club. I only looked at one side and didn't notice the other side had the plastic on it. I haven't worked at removing it yet, I might just take a torch to it and burn it off.
+1 EXACTLY Plastic only on one side!!! I thought about a torch too or putting on the burner without the pot. I called our local Ace Hardware and they carry SS sheet goods. Maybe the best option would be to replace it.

Old 02-03-2011, 02:58 PM   #5
Bokonon
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrabb22 View Post
+1 EXACTLY Plastic only on one side!!! I thought about a torch too or putting on the burner without the pot. I called our local Ace Hardware and they carry SS sheet goods. Maybe the best option would be to replace it.
I'm not sure why you would even consider replacing it. Use the burnt side down and you'll never even see it.

You might not even need it depending on how much heat is coming up the side of your kettle

Old 02-03-2011, 05:02 PM   #6
strat_thru_marshall
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 32

For me I gave up on that heat shield after the first two batches. The sight glass boils while the burner is on full tilt, and during the boil, but the only time you really need it is while running your wort off into the kettle anyway. Refractometer readings during the boil will let you know if your boil off rate is correct, no need for volume measurements.

Old 02-20-2011, 01:13 AM   #7
rcrabb22

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat_thru_marshall View Post
For me I gave up on that heat shield after the first two batches. The sight glass boils while the burner is on full tilt, and during the boil, but the only time you really need it is while running your wort off into the kettle anyway. Refractometer readings during the boil will let you know if your boil off rate is correct, no need for volume measurements.
Good point! Still a rookie with a boil kettle sight glass and wanted to make the most of it. But I agree with your point. The only time I think I will use it is to record pre boil and post boil volumes.

Old 02-20-2011, 01:19 AM   #8
Oldyote
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The heat shield also protects the valve and temp gauge. I wouldn't give up on it, it just has patina.

going 90 I ain't scary cuz I got the virgin mary assuring me that I won't go to hell

Old 02-05-2012, 02:25 PM   #9
splashmike
Recipes 

Wish I had seen this before trying my first brew on my new BM 10 gallon. Not only did I not notice the peel away on the heat shield, I melted the rubber cover on the handle to the ball valvue. What a way to start.

Old 02-05-2012, 04:03 PM   #10
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 967 Times on 647 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Do yourself a favor and just cut the vinyl wrap off the handle from day one, then slide a 3" piece of silicone tubing over it.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Quick Reply