Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Boil Steam broke my microwave
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2013, 05:38 PM   #1
Upthewazzu
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Pullman, WA
Posts: 425
Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default Boil Steam broke my microwave

Hello,

As the title says, I forgot to turn on the vent fan above my oven and now my microwave [sort of] doesn't work. The microwave itself works fine, but the bottom row of commands does not work on the key pad (I'm assuming the water vapor ruined the contacts). It's a basic GE microwave that was installed by the builder of my home. I was wondering if anyone has had this issue and if they were able to resolve it by buying a replacement keypad (w/o the control board). HERE is a picture of the part I would be replacing, please let me know if it worked for you! I'm debating on whether or not to replace the entire unit, or just that part. Thanks.

__________________
Upthewazzu is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 05:41 PM   #2
RiverCityBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 769
Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

I've never had that particular issue, but having worked on lots of electronics over the years I would agree with your diagnosis... replace your push button contacts and you should be good to go.

__________________
RiverCityBrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 05:45 PM   #3
zachattack
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: , MA
Posts: 2,564
Liked 249 Times on 213 Posts
Likes Given: 140

Default

I don't have any direct help for you, I used to do 7 gallon boils all the time on a stove with a microwave above it, I never used the fan and had no problems.

But one time my roommate went a little nuts cleaning our stove/oven, he was soaking a sponge in hot soapy water and used it to scrub the hell out of the thing. A bunch of water ended up getting in the control/display, the next day when I went to use the oven I would just get a beeping and an error message. I tried turning off the breaker and turning it back on, same thing. But after a couple days it randomly started working again, I figured it dried itself out.

How long has it been? Don't give up hope that the problem might mysteriously go away... to speed it up you can maybe take the cover off and try hitting it lightly with a hair dryer?

__________________
zachattack is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 05:49 PM   #4
Upthewazzu
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Pullman, WA
Posts: 425
Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default

It's been almost 3 weeks. I tried like heck to dry the thing out, used a blow drier, detached it from the main unit and let it sit in the sun for a few days, and nothing worked.

__________________
Upthewazzu is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 06:18 PM   #5
DonLiguori
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
Posts: 93
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

This may sounds like alcohol abuse, but you could try pouring some cheap, bottom-row everclear on the control panel while you have it off. heck, you could even give it a little soak in it. The ethanol will help pull the water out of the cracks and make it a lot easier to dry. Not sure if this would be any cheaper than just getting a new panel, though.

__________________
DonLiguori is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 10:30 PM   #6
Hermit
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Alternate Universe
Posts: 2,249
Liked 67 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default

I used to repair these for GE. How old is the microwave? GE parts are excessively expensive. You can get a new MW for about $200 in some places.

__________________
Hermit is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 12:45 AM   #7
captainkirk83
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Jackson, MS
Posts: 131
Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

I did the same thing a few years back while boiling water. The microwave made a loud pop and I ended up replacing for 200 -250.

For stovetop brewing, I tape a flexible cutting board to the bottom of the microwave to keep steam away. I don't trust the weak vent fan.

Hope you can fix yours

__________________
captainkirk83 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 03:49 AM   #8
day_trippr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Stow, MA
Posts: 11,168
Liked 1375 Times on 1111 Posts

Default

My oldest son was renting a house that had a GE microwave above the stove. He also had a cleaning service, and every time they cleaned the kitchen they killed keypad functions 'til the owner had to replace the 'wave.

After that, son left a note taped right over the keypad not to touch the 'wave. Cleaners carefully removed the note and killed the keypad...

Cheers!

__________________
day_trippr is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Managing steam and boil off. Biggles Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 11 12-30-2012 12:28 AM
Steam to Boil bent General Beer Discussion 5 02-10-2011 02:49 AM
Broke thermometer in wort boil BeachedBumm Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 13 02-02-2011 04:57 PM
Thermometer broke during boil!!! krops13 Equipment/Sanitation 2 01-07-2010 04:16 AM
80 gallon steam boil kettle Jaybird Equipment/Sanitation 30 12-27-2009 09:50 PM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS