Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Blue Rhino Propane

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2009, 08:58 PM   #41
JKoravos
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Huh? If you are getting more fuel at the same price you are saving money.

The cost per fill wasn't the same. It was the cost per gallon (or pound). U-Haul sells by the gallon so it was $4.75/gallon (don't remember the exact number). BR charges ~$18/15 lbs. If you break it down on a per gallon basis, the cost was within a few percent. I can't find the calculation anymore, but it was close enough for me not to bother going back to U-Haul.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2009, 10:15 PM   #42
springer

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKoravos View Post
The cost per fill wasn't the same. It was the cost per gallon (or pound). U-Haul sells by the gallon so it was $4.75/gallon (don't remember the exact number). BR charges ~$18/15 lbs. If you break it down on a per gallon basis, the cost was within a few percent. I can't find the calculation anymore, but it was close enough for me not to bother going back to U-Haul.
BR is 21 to 22 here, I fill a 20# tank at Tech air and it was 18 $ the last time

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

Old 11-09-2009, 10:19 PM   #43
springer

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy View Post
So, because fill stations may have an adapter for the valve, it's not proprietary? I'm confused. I'm not saying refilling stations can't fill the tanks, I'm saying the valve on the BR tanks is proprietary.

Out of the three tanks I have I think one has the proprietary valve . But since any propane dealer can get the adapter its not really proprietary in my opinion , its just different than the rest

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

Old 11-09-2009, 11:20 PM   #44
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I use the local Sunbelt Rentals. They fill the tank to the tare (empty) weight X 2, i.e., if the tare weight on the tank is 17.5 pounds, the guy sets the scale for 35 pounds and fill until the scale balances. This fill is $12. This isn't completely full, but it's as good as anything else available around here. The exchanges are invariably higher, and, as has been pointed out, the exchange companies have reduced the contents of their tanks. AmeriGas was giving rebates based on people's complaints about only filling to 15 pounds. They stated they had done this due to the rising price of propane, to keep the cost of a fill the same. Oddly enough, now that the price of oil (and propane- we filled our bulk tank for $1.59 / gal. this year, which is way down from last yar) is down, they haven't lowered their prices. Surprise, surprise.

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Quick Reply