Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Blue Rhino Propane

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2007, 11:36 AM   #21
abracadabra
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Yeah I saw 3 or 4 at the landfill last Sat. when I went. Don't know if they'd let you have them but if you don't ask you don't get.

Here's a reason to have multiple LPG tanks some of the propane suppliers will
give you a discount if you have multiple tanks and here's the trick ask for a discount again if you don't ask you don't get.

Plus it's good to have a spare tank when you run out of gas.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2007, 10:40 PM   #22
boo boo
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by abracadabra
That's mighty big of them to give a $3 rebate when you buy $8-$10 worth of gas for $16. Especially now that it's almost summer and propane sales have slowed to a crawl. I buy from Blue Rhino whenever my tank has expired otherwise I'll keep going to a propane outlet and only pay $12 for my 4-5 gallons of gas.

Eggs actly. My reasoning on this also.

How do you BBQ an elephant....first you get your elephant....

Old 06-10-2009, 01:26 AM   #23
jimmyd2
Recipes 

Default Blue Rhino Propane Rebate

Read the content statement on Blue Rhino. The bottle has remained the same but the contents have dropped from 17.5 pounds to 15 pounds. They are going to have to give me more than $3 back to make up for that reduction. Its cheaper to fill my own bottle and at least I'll know how much I'm getting and what I paid for it.

Old 06-10-2009, 01:36 AM   #24
Bokonon
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Wow almost a two year old thread bump

Old 06-10-2009, 02:26 AM   #25
flylock_jac
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I think it was last year or the year before when they added the overfill protectors to propane tanks . I went to the dump and got 3 outdated tanks for free. Took em to the hardware and exchanged them for 3 brand new ones.
I don't brew outside , they're just for my grill and my propane forge.
Won't use blue rhino , their a rip off.

Old 06-10-2009, 03:30 AM   #26
Dwain
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

On the collar of the tank the tare weight, or the weight of the empty tank, is stamped TW and a number. Most of them I've seen weigh 17 pounds. Also, most of the refill stations charge you a flat rate for refilling, regardless how much is left in your tank. They all know what the local swappers are charging and usually drop it a couple of bucks under that. Get a cheapo bathroom scale and don't refill it until it's close to the tare weight.
*He says even though he still hasn't done this* Luck - Dwain

Man, 3 edits, gotta quit posting after the dopple bocks

Last edited by Dwain; 06-10-2009 at 03:32 AM. Reason: dopple bock

Old 06-10-2009, 03:41 AM   #27
M@!
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have a couple blue Rhino tanks but will probably just get them refilled next time. Ohhh and I have been to Payson many times, awesome town!

Old 06-10-2009, 04:39 AM   #28
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 7

yeah the Blue Rino driver and 'ex yard monkey filling bottles told me they fill to 3.5 to 3.7 gallons here in the S.F.Bay area, charge $19.95 a bottle exchange. The yard is 32 miles east from me. This with the new fill limit float now called a 15# in small print. What a frigging rip. These two Blue Ripoff bottles are a mistake used only for the BBQ and they do go empty a lot quicker than the old full 20# bottles. I have a collection of old bottles that I get refilled off a friends 500 gallon tank and pay his bulk rate.
This B/S ended brewing with propane 5 years ago, electric is the only way without gas valves and more crap to go wrong. This works for my size of brewing system I used in the past. I can deal with 37,559 BTU's of electric heating power heating each keggle. No brewing with propane at my two houses.
They also make great bead blaster seating tools with a little welding and work, just get a 2" ball valve for free if you can is the best way as other parts are cheap to build as well cutting 2" coupling in half couplings.

Bier Jagdwaffe... Bier 30 zeit.....~~=o&o>..........

Last edited by BrewBeemer; 06-10-2009 at 04:45 AM.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:33 PM   #29
sopernicus
Recipes 

Default Blue Rhino

Not sure if this is the appropriate place for this first post, but here goes. I searched the forums as best I could for advice on Blue Rhino tanks. I've found a guy selling a new turkey fryer and a new (filled) BR tank for cheap. Essentially, I'm asking if there's any reason I absolutely should not use BR. There is a place very near my home that refills tanks, I just fear they won't refill the BR tank from what I've been hearing.

So, thanks for the forums and discussion (I've learned a lot). And, anyone with any really strong opinions on BR tanks please let me know.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:44 PM   #30
Rick500
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I don't see any reason why they wouldn't fill a Blue Rhino tank.

For that matter, just take the label off; it's just a piece of plastic shrink-wrapped onto the tank.

Quick Reply