Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Blue Rhino Propane

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2007, 12:25 AM   #11
cap46
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Local U-Haul about $12 to $13 just have to remember to take with me when I go to work.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2007, 01:07 PM   #12
abracadabra

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by knights of Gambrinus
Then most places (i think) charge a fee for purging the air out of new tanks ($5 in my expereince) then to fill it is about $10 round where I am.

I believe the tank is good for 12 years from date of manufacture so check the date on the tank you buy. After that, you have to get a new one I believe.
You are being ripped off if someone is charging you $5 to purge the air from a tank.

Also the tanks can be recertified just like other compressed gas tanks but in most cases you'd be better off just going to a swap out seller like Blue Rhino and paying the more expensive price.

Old 06-07-2007, 01:14 PM   #13
Reidman
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 1 Posts

I just had my tank filled......2.90 a gallon.
Ended up paying just over 8 bucks and the thing was only half empty..

BTW, a little known tip the guy told me when he filled it. If you use a bathroom scale, the tank weighs 38lbs full and 12lbs empty. Useful info if you don't have a gauge. I tested him on it when I got home and wow...38lbs exactly on my bathroom scale!

Old 06-07-2007, 01:18 PM   #14
abracadabra

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerrific
I bought a blue rhino because I need the tank and the hardware stores weren't open. I want to get it refilled and get a spare. I know that Blue Rhino is adding "saftey" features that don't allow hardware stores to refill them. Does anyone know how you can tell if mine is that type? Also, how much does an empty tank cost at say Ace?
Here in Georgia you can't have a tank filled or refilled unless it has the newer saftey valve. That's why I traded all my old tanks in to the Blue Rhino.

Call or shop around to other places if the hardware store you've gone to says they can't refill a safety valve they are obviously behind the times.

Old 06-07-2007, 01:54 PM   #15
abracadabra

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reidman
BTW, a little known tip the guy told me when he filled it. If you use a bathroom scale, the tank weighs 38lbs full and 12lbs empty. Useful info if you don't have a gauge. I tested him on it when I got home and wow...38lbs exactly on my bathroom scale!
I'm not so sure that your guys numbers correct. The weight of propane is 4.24 lbs per gal. But the weight (or amount of propane) you'd get could also depend on state law.

In Georgia, the tanks are called 20 lb. tanks by the propane industry because that's all they say they are allowed by law to put in them.

But on the web the tanks are refered to as 5 gal. tanks (5 X 4.24 = 21 lbs)

So according to your propane guy you are getting over 6 gal. of LPG and maybe you are but like I said the weight you get may depend on what your state allows.

Old 06-09-2007, 07:43 PM   #16
abracadabra

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Just weighted an empty 5 Gal. LP tank 17 lbs. So filled with 5 Gal. of LP weighing 21 lbs. the total would be 38 lbs. if your state allows the full 5 gal. to be put into the tank.

Here in Georgia the max is 20 lbs so a full tank here should weigh 37 lbs. Your state may differ.

For a large tank (here in Ga.) the max is 80% of total capacity. So a 500 gal. tank could only hold 400 gal.

Old 06-10-2007, 05:10 AM   #17
Reidman
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by abracadabra
Just weighted an empty 5 Gal. LP tank 17 lbs. So filled with 5 Gal. of LP weighing 21 lbs. the total would be 38 lbs. if your state allows the full 5 gal. to be put into the tank.

Here in Georgia the max is 20 lbs so a full tank here should weigh 37 lbs. Your state may differ.

For a large tank (here in Ga.) the max is 80% of total capacity. So a 500 gal. tank could only hold 400 gal.
That's weird. The guy said it would weigh 12 lbs empty...but at any rate mine did weigh 38 lbs full so I guess washington state allows filling to full capacity.
I haven't really researched what the code is here though.

Old 06-10-2007, 12:18 PM   #18
abracadabra

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reidman
That's weird. The guy said it would weigh 12 lbs empty...but at any rate mine did weigh 38 lbs full so I guess washington state allows filling to full capacity.
I haven't really researched what the code is here though.
Yeah, your post got my curisoity up especially when the numbers didn't add up. I weighed it today and it weighted 18 lbs.

And since it's such a blind item purchase I wanted to figure out what was going on not only for myself but other.

The last few times I've purchased LP the lady didn't seem to be weighing the tank at all even though she sets them on a scale. She just opened a relief valve and stopped the pump when the gas flow from the relief valve increased. So now I'm wondering just how much gas Im actually getting from these folks.

And if you purchase from Blue Rhino unless you weigh the tanks you have no idea how much you are getting.

Plus I'm trying to ascertain if going with a permanent tank would save enough money to make it worth while.

If I'm paying $3 a gal. for $2 gas then it might pay off to go with a big tank.
If I'm paying $2.40 for $2 gas then it might not be worth it.

The thing with propane in bulk is you can play the market. If you purchase in the late summer or very early fall the price is usually the lowest of the year and you can negotiate a bulk discount. But since LPG ( liquid petroleum gas aka propane ) follows the gasoline and petroleum market a late season hurricane or refinery problem can also cause price spikes.

Another thing is propane is a byproduct of the gasoline refineing process so it's not and either or situation and after a long summer and warm spring the inventories of propane are usually high and that fact can be taken advantage of
if you have the ability to store 125 - 1000 gal.

One of the things I like best about big tanks is they bring the LP to me. The only disadvantage I can see is the lose of portability.

I used to be able to get a 5 - 10 cent discount for large bulk purchases back when the price was $0.89 a gal. I'm curious what kind of discount I can get with the price more than 2x that.

Old 06-11-2007, 03:11 AM   #19
DraconianHand
nudge, nudge, wink, wink
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

A little off topic, but next time you need a propane tank, don't buy one. Go to your local landfill. If they accept hazmat's and propane tanks, they might let you pick up instead of drop off.

I got a propane tank this way (with the new valve). When I asked, I got a weird look, but they said, "Sure."

Ferminatin' - Route 666 Pale Ale

Figurin' to do - Oatmeal Stout, Gueuze, Belgian Blonde, Mild, English Pale Ale, Weizenbock

Old 06-11-2007, 03:17 AM   #20
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 399 Times on 332 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclesamskid
A little off topic, but next time you need a propane tank, don't buy one. Go to your local landfill. If they accept hazmat's and propane tanks, they might let you pick up instead of drop off.

I got a propane tank this way (with the new valve). When I asked, I got a weird look, but they said, "Sure."
You know, as I was driving by the landfill today, I saw probably thirty or forty empty propane tanks sitting there. Could have just grabbed one, it was near the road and no one was there. But, I have two (Blue Rhino), don't see any value in having a third (or a thirtieth) tank.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Quick Reply