Blowoff tube for plastic bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duane

Reaction score
Anyone have any ideas for fastening a blowoff tube to the lids of the standard plastic fermenting buckets one typically gets with start up brewing systems?

I use the standard air lock and remove the middle plastic piece and lid and then place a tube on that. That way I can insert the bottom of the airlock into the hole/gasket in the bucket lid and then put the other end in a bucket of water. Let me know if that doesn't make sense and I can take a picture.

Here's a pic:

blowoff.jpg

Thanks for the tips! I think brewmcq's airlock trick makes the most sense for me. I think I need a wider tube, though. My 3/8 inch is too small. I assume that's a 1/2 inch tube you're using in the pic?

Thanks again, everyone! This is helpful. I'm tired of finding my high-gravity brews oozing out of my airlock when I wake up, despite using fermcap.

I have no idea what size tube that is.. it's not my pic.. I stole it from the interwebs.. lol

Since I have and have been using the "Better Bottle" carboys, I have typically just used a food-safe tube that had a big enough outer diameter to fit snugly inside the neck, kind of like this (again, not my picture):
PICT0484.JPG

I have no idea what size tube that is.. it's not my pic.. I stole it from the interwebs.. lol

Since I have and have been using the "Better Bottle" carboys, I have typically just used a food-safe tube that had a big enough outer diameter to fit snugly inside the neck, kind of like this (again, not my picture):
PICT0484.JPG

I suggest putting the carboys up top and the bucket lower. Atmospheric pressure changes could start a siphon from the bucket back into the fermenters!

I suggest putting the carboys up top and the bucket lower. Atmospheric pressure changes could start a siphon from the bucket back into the fermenters!

Good point. I just grabbed the first picture that popped up on Google image search.

Although... I think the liklihood of that happening would be about nil since there *should* always be more pressure inside the carboy.

Latest posts

Back