Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Blowoff stopper size?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2009, 12:58 AM   #1
Atticmonkey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Blowoff stopper size?

Hey gang,
Ive seen some blowoff setups that use a stopper with what looks like 1/2" tubeing pushed straight into the stopper hole. Anybody know what size stopper that is? Any comments on that type of setup?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2009, 03:09 AM   #2
alohanole
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Better yet, get some tubing that is the same outside diameter as your stopper hole and bypass the stopper altogether!

Old 02-12-2009, 10:46 PM   #3
Atticmonkey
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohanole View Post
Better yet, get some tubing that is the same outside diameter as your stopper hole and bypass the stopper altogether!
I tried using the 1" blowoff hose most places sell but the problem I have is it takes up alot of space due to it not being very flexible. I thought with the smaller diameter tubeing that it would be easy to route it to a beer bottle filled with water. Thus saving the space of having a bucket with water.

Old 02-12-2009, 11:25 PM   #4
alohanole
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

True...what fermentation vessel are you using here? A beer bottle might not be the best choice for a vigorous fermentation situation. You might have some spillage. I have an airlock that I attach tubing to the center post occasionally. This works if you remove the cross-pattern at the bottom beforehand.

Quick Reply