Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Is a blow off set up necessary?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2005, 01:05 AM   #1
Majikcook
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Is a blow off set up necessary?

If using a 6.5 glass carboy as a primary, when do you need a blow off system? Only on Big beers? Will a airlock do the job?

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2005, 01:09 AM   #2
Tony

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

After my experience of using yeast from a previous batch on a new one and seeing the results of the overly active ferment, I believe for the first 24 hours I will use a blow off set up, then switch to a regular airlock for the rest of the primary ferment.

New yeast pitches, I'll just use an airlock.

Dead Soldier:Hop Rod Rye Stout
Dead Soldier: Imperial Hell Fire Ale

Old 03-19-2005, 01:46 AM   #3
DesertBrew
You're not my type
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 146

I'd agree with Tony. Haven't had a problem until I put a batch on the slurry of another batch. That is when I'd consider a blow-off with that much yeast...

Old 03-19-2005, 08:49 PM   #4
lalenny
Recipes 

I think that if you are going to set the blow-off tube up on your primary fermenter that you should just leave it on there until you are ready to rack to the second. I don't really see a reason to exchange the blow off tube for an airlock in the primary if the tube is already on there. Also, I think that it is only needed if you are re-using yeast from a previous batch. I would suspect a large starter may achieve the same results, but I don't know?

Old 03-20-2005, 02:26 AM   #5
D-brewmeister

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalenny
I think that if you are going to set the blow-off tube up on your primary fermenter that you should just leave it on there until you are ready to rack to the second. I don't really see a reason to exchange the blow off tube for an airlock in the primary if the tube is already on there.
I think lenny is right here, no reason to risk something getting into the carboy when switching out a blowoff tube. And since the most brews aren't in primary for more than a week, it realy wouldn't matter much. As long as the end of the tube is submerged in some sanitizer solution or something (which you might need to change a few times if alot of gunk is getting blown off) there is no risk of anything getting into the fermenter through the tube. The only consideration I would see is that the longer all that hop gunk sits on the inside of the tube, the harder it is to clean off.
Guid ale keeps my heart aboon!
-- Robert Burns

Old 03-20-2005, 01:28 PM   #6
Majikcook
Recipes 

Thanks guys, appreciate the input

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa

Old 03-21-2005, 03:08 PM   #7
Janx

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts

I never use a blowoff tube. Use a big enough fermenter for the batch and you won't have a problem. Blowing off the krausen reduces hoppiness, head retention, etc. It's much better to not have to use one.

Won't you pour me one more of that sinful Old Janx Spirit

Old 03-21-2005, 06:49 PM   #8
Majikcook
Recipes 

Then I'm messed up Janx... I thought with a 6.5 carboy and a simple airlock would not be enough, and a blow off would be necessary especially when doing a IPA or Stout
My whole reason for wanting plastic pail was because I thought I wouldn't need a blow off....

Old 03-22-2005, 01:42 AM   #9
wwgiese
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majikcook
If using a 6.5 glass carboy as a primary, when do you need a blow off system? Only on Big beers? Will a airlock do the job?
An airlock is just fine unless you anticipate a problem with the fermenting beer comming out the top. Then the blow off is better. Some people use the blow off and top the carboy to the top. This lets the dead yeast and trub blow off into a bucket and away from your beer. When using this you need to keep dumping and cleaning the drainage bucket and keep some disinfectent in it so you dont get an infection traveling back up into the fermenter.

Old 03-22-2005, 02:01 AM   #10
SwAMi75

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janx
I never use a blowoff tube. Use a big enough fermenter for the batch and you won't have a problem. Blowing off the krausen reduces hoppiness, head retention, etc. It's much better to not have to use one.
How big is "big enough" for a 5 gallon batch of a big beer? My IPA blew the lid off my 7 gallon bucket twice.

I'm wanting to buy a bigger primary for my big beers, but don't know what to get. Since my bucket can't seem to handle the big ones, I'm doubting a 6.5gal carboy would do any better. Plus, I've heard those things are really thin walled.

Sam
Gone unsung for far too long

Quick Reply