Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Blow-Off problems

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2006, 08:27 PM   #1
El Cazador
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Blow-Off problems

I have a 5 gallon batch in a 6 gallon better bottle so I didn't think I'd have a problem with blowoff, but I do.

I was going to pull out the airlock and slip in a blow off tube setup, but I can't pull out either the airlock or the stopper. Kraeusen is coming up from the bottle and into the airlock and foam out of the airlock.

Any suggestions?

When I die, I hope my wife doesn't sell my homebrew equipment for what I told her I paid for it.

Last edited by El Cazador; 05-24-2006 at 11:30 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2006, 08:48 PM   #2
Lou
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 6 Posts

if you have a blow-off tube big enough to fit into the mouth of the carboy, sanitize it, pull out the airlock and stopper, and put the tube in.
if you don't, pull out the airlock and attach sanitized siphon tubing to the the hole in the stopper...
or dremel about half an inch off the bottom of the airlock and it'll be less likely to get clogged up.

Old 05-24-2006, 08:57 PM   #3
El Cazador

Recipes 

my problem is that I can't pull out either the airlock or the stopper.

When I die, I hope my wife doesn't sell my homebrew equipment for what I told her I paid for it.

Old 05-24-2006, 09:02 PM   #4
Lou
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Cazador
my problem is that I can't pull out either the airlock or the stopper.
oh...in your first post, you said "I can pull out either the airlock or the stopper"

umm...i don't know what to tell you, man.
you got any friends who are tough enough to wrestle the little piece of rubber out of there?
a shotgun, maybe?

Old 05-24-2006, 09:08 PM   #5
burnsy
Recipes 

I think that the yeast i used in my last batch was bad i have absolutly no blow off and was wondering if anybody knew if I would run into any problems by adding another packet of yeast

Old 05-24-2006, 09:25 PM   #6
Lou
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsy
I think that the yeast i used in my last batch was bad i have absolutly no blow off and was wondering if anybody knew if I would run into any problems by adding another packet of yeast
you'll have to be more specific with your problem. also, it's polite to start your own thread instead of hijacking someone elses....

anyway, what makes you think your yeast is bad? what was your OG and what's your SG now? how long has it been since you added this yeast? at what temperature are you fermenting (or attempting to ferment)?

Old 05-24-2006, 10:44 PM   #7
burnsy
Recipes 

sorry about that Im not very good with this stuf I dont even know what a thread is so dont anybody be mad! Ill try and figure this site out and hone my on-line ediquite. anyway I have not noticed any activity in my airlock so I begining to get worried that the yeast was bad because its been in my trove of brewing stuff for a year or two, but the date was sept 06' also I failed to dissolve the yeast in luke warm watter before adding it to the wort and I dont know what the signifagance of that is. I guess what I need to Know is how long should I wait to see some activity, and will it cause any adverse effects to add another packet?

Old 05-24-2006, 10:47 PM   #8
burnsy
Recipes 

Im currently at 72 deg and what is og and sg? and I added the yeast at 9:00 this morn

Old 05-24-2006, 10:59 PM   #9
Lou
Recipes 

ahh, i see your problem... patience
it may take 24-48 hours to see activity. what was the temperature when you pitched the yeast?

Old 05-24-2006, 11:12 PM   #10
El Cazador

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou
oh...in your first post, you said "I can pull out either the airlock or the stopper"

umm...i don't know what to tell you, man.
you got any friends who are tough enough to wrestle the little piece of rubber out of there?
a shotgun, maybe?
I'll try to pull off the airlock tonight. I tried and tried last night, but it felt like it was going to break off.

I've seen a hook like device that wedges in between the stopper and the lip of the bottle. Does anybody know what it's called?

Quick Reply