The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > BLING BLING Electric HERMS Conversion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2008, 01:09 PM   #121
The Pol
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 48 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by onejdn View Post
stupid question I'm sure, is there any concern of the element scorching the wort since it's in direct contact during the boil?
I am using an ULTRA low watt density element in the BK... it is a Ripple 5500W element. It is only about 50W/sq in.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2008, 01:42 PM   #122
kal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 187 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 5

These ULWD 5500W/240V Ripple elements are a bitch to find too it seems. I can't seem to find any place that'll ship to Canada!

Kal

Old 12-31-2008, 03:26 PM   #123
The Pol
Recipes 

Oh, Canada... OH CANADA...

I will buy you one and deliver it when I fly up to Canada again... then again, you will have to pay for my services

Old 12-31-2008, 03:39 PM   #124
The Pol
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by steedtucker View Post
pol,
is there a pic of the inside of the control panel on this thread?
i would like to see how you situated everything.

NOTE: I rotated the 120VAC outlets 90 degrees... the UPPER RIGHT is where the 30A Dryer Outlet is situated (not shown here)

Old 12-31-2008, 05:51 PM   #125
caskconditioned
Recipes 

Pol -

What's the difference between an SSR and SSRD? My understanding is that an SSRD contains two independed SSRs in one chassis. Could you control two heating elements using the same SSR or is it more to kill both legs of the 240?

Reason I ask is that I'm a bit confused on the electrical aspect. Say I have a heating element in my HLT (240V 5500w) and want to control it via an SSR. But when the SSR is off - I don't want any power going to the element. Will a standard SSR do that? Or is there always 1 hot to the element even if the SSR is off? I guess another way of asking the same question, if I use a standard SSR and it's off - will the heating element still be partially heating? Sorry for such a newbie questions.

Old 12-31-2008, 06:26 PM   #126
kal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 187 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by caskconditioned View Post
Pol -

What's the difference between an SSR and SSRD? My understanding is that an SSRD contains two independed SSRs in one chassis. Could you control two heating elements using the same SSR or is it more to kill both legs of the 240?

Reason I ask is that I'm a bit confused on the electrical aspect. Say I have a heating element in my HLT (240V 5500w) and want to control it via an SSR. But when the SSR is off - I don't want any power going to the element. Will a standard SSR do that? Or is there always 1 hot to the element even if the SSR is off? I guess another way of asking the same question, if I use a standard SSR and it's off - will the heating element still be partially heating? Sorry for such a newbie questions.
An SSRD is two SSR's in one package. It's used to kill both legs of the 240V to ensure that the element isn't getting any power if case something goes wrong and you short something out by mistake.

Pol's element isn't heating with a single SSR and the circuit is cut, it's just that the element is still 'active' or hot.

Kal

Old 12-31-2008, 07:21 PM   #127
bakins
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kal View Post
Pol's element isn't heating with a single SSR and the circuit is cut, it's just that the element is still 'active' or hot.
The DPST is used to completely cut the power. That's how mine is done, as well. If the switches are one, I treat it just like it's live. I don't directly put my hand in there, etc., I use a spoon. It's grounded and GFCI protected, but I don't take any chances if the switch is on. If the switch is off, then treat it a little less paranoid. I have lockable switches and also set my PID's to manual 0% when I'm cleaning because I still have power to my rig for pumps when I'm cleaning and the PID's are on the same circuit.

Old 12-31-2008, 07:46 PM   #128
The Pol
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kal View Post
An SSRD is two SSR's in one package. It's used to kill both legs of the 240V to ensure that the element isn't getting any power if case something goes wrong and you short something out by mistake.

Kal
I have DPST that cuts power to BOTH legs, it is covered in this thread. The DPST sends power OUT to the SSR and to the OUTLET. Cheaper than an SSRD... by a long shot. Also, it allows me to turn off the element no matter what the PID is commanding.

Old 12-31-2008, 08:16 PM   #129
The Pol
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by caskconditioned View Post
Pol -

The SSR will only cut ONE leg. Your element will not be heating, but there will still be current at the element.
I decided to use a 30A DPST switch to cut BOTH hots for this reason. Also, the DPST switch allows me to cut power to the element no matter what my PID is commanding. As stated in this thread, the DPST switch cuts power to the SSR and it cuts the other leg that goes directly to the outlet.
It is much cheaper than buying an SSRD AND it allows you to cut power to the element NO MATTER what the PID commands.

By doing this I can leave my PID powered, simply TURN OFF my element 100% dead with the DPST switch and use the PID to monitor cooling when I am chilling the wort.

Many of these questions are answered previously in this thread.

Last edited by The Pol; 12-31-2008 at 08:19 PM.

Old 12-31-2008, 08:32 PM   #130
caskconditioned
Recipes 

Thanks, it all makes sense now. Just wanted to make sure the element was not heating. I'm planning on using the DPST switches as well.

Quick Reply