The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Blichmann vs Bubba burner

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2013, 07:32 PM   #11
RatchetBrews
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I posted a video about Bubba's Burners at my website (the one in my signature). It's pretty much the same banjo burner, but the regulator makes all the difference. The Blichmann regulators are garbage. You can get a better one at Wal-mart. The regulator I got from Bubba changed my brewing life. Full rolling boils in a fraction of the time of Blichmann's regulator.
Anyway Bubba has great equipment. I'm lucky enough to be only a few miles away from him, and he's building me a custom prototype modular brew stand. I can't wait!

Last edited by RatchetBrews; 04-08-2013 at 07:34 PM. Reason: typo

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2013, 08:37 PM   #12
Pratzie
Fill It Up Again!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 152 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatchetBrews View Post
I posted a video about Bubba's Burners at my website (the one in my signature). It's pretty much the same banjo burner, but the regulator makes all the difference. The Blichmann regulators are garbage. You can get a better one at Wal-mart. The regulator I got from Bubba changed my brewing life. Full rolling boils in a fraction of the time of Blichmann's regulator.
Anyway Bubba has great equipment. I'm lucky enough to be only a few miles away from him, and he's building me a custom prototype modular brew stand. I can't wait!
Just curious, but why don't u like the regulators from Blichmann? When u say u get the full rolling boils with the Bubba regulator, do u mean its a bubba burner and regulator or is a it a blichmann burner with bubba reg? Also how much fuel are u going thru?
Secondary: Empty
Aging:
On Deck: Deception Cream Stout, BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde, Yooper's Oatmeal Stout, Joe's Ancient Orange Mead, Reaper's Mild

Old 04-08-2013, 08:43 PM   #13
RatchetBrews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Bubba's regulator, Blichmann's banjo burner. I do big batches between 20 and 40 gallons at a time with my 55 gallon brew pot. That little blichmann regulator is only 10 psi. It doesn't provide enough power to bring to boil in a timely manner. With Bubba's regulator at 20-25 psi, I can get 20 gallons of 45 degree water up to mash temps within 10 minutes. I got through almost a whole regular size hardware store propane bottle per brew day.

Old 04-08-2013, 08:48 PM   #14
Pratzie
Fill It Up Again!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 152 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Quote:
Bubba's regulator, Blichmann's banjo burner. I do big batches between 20 and 40 gallons at a time with my 55 gallon brew pot. That little blichmann regulator is only 10 psi. It doesn't provide enough power to bring to boil in a timely manner. With Bubba's regulator at 20-25 psi, I can get 20 gallons of 45 degree water up to mash temps within 10 minutes. I got through almost a whole regular size hardware store propane bottle per brew day.
Gotcha. Ur the first person ive heard say anything negative about a blichmann product (except cost) so I was curious what u meant. Im still only doing 5-10 gallon batches so im fine with the times im seeing but if I ever upgrade to bigger batches, i'll remember what u said about that regulator. Thanks!
Secondary: Empty
Aging:
On Deck: Deception Cream Stout, BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde, Yooper's Oatmeal Stout, Joe's Ancient Orange Mead, Reaper's Mild

Old 04-09-2013, 12:43 AM   #15
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 981 Times on 801 Posts

"Bubba" uses the same BG-14 burner but with a 0-30psi regulator. Makes sense, considering that stand of his is built for really big batches. He uses a POL type (good - no ACME valve to trigger) but it's priced at twice the market (bad).

That much capacity is way overkill for 10 gallon batches - just like Bubba's Burner (which specifically was designed for 40+ gallon kettles)...

Cheers!

[edit for accuracy]

Old 04-09-2013, 08:56 PM   #16
freshhoarse
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
So you use almost 20# of propane per brew day?!? Yikes! I'm moving up to 20 gal batches soon... might need a bigger tank.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:55 PM   #17
Crito
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshhoarse View Post

So you use almost 20# of propane per brew day?!? Yikes! I'm moving up to 20 gal batches soon... might need a bigger tank.
With a ten psi burner... you will get a few brews out of one tank if you keep the burner in the proper settings.

Quick Reply