The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Blichmann Top Tier Stand Mods??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2011, 11:44 PM   #1
Beerman213
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Blichmann Top Tier Stand Mods??

Hey everyone!

I just got my Blichmann Top Tier stand and assembled and brewed on it and I love it. I am just curious as to what kind of mods owners of this system have done so please post here.

I know there are a lot of folks out there that would prefer to build their system and thats cool...but there are some of us that are not to type that build their system so add to this thread if you own or even if you're not an owner. What would you do?

Thanks!!
Walt

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2011, 11:46 PM   #2
celticcolorado
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I don't know, but I am very jealous. Congratulations

Old 02-23-2011, 05:07 PM   #3
wuertele
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I figured I'd tell you to go to my homebrewery index and sort by tiers (descending), but when I tried it I found that although there were plenty of 3-tier systems, nobody with a Blingman Top Tier has made a submission yet.

I hope all the Top Tier fans out there can help me fill this gaping hole in my database!

The all-grain home brewery registry: http://brewbot.org/breweries

Old 02-23-2011, 09:32 PM   #4
RiverCityBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've owned one for several months now and its great... as for mods I've automated with electric gas valves to light burners, temperature control, and automatic pump starting/stopping using a BCS-460.

Mine is built to be as close to a single tier as possible, and for future mods I am planning on making a permanent mount point for the counter-flow chiller and water filter, and hard plumbing a water line with multiple outs so I can have multiple water hook-ups nearby. Let me know if there is anything in particular you are interested in.

Joe

Old 02-23-2011, 10:35 PM   #5
Beerman213
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Good lookin' setup RiverCity. By RiverCity, do you mean Wichita, KS? If so send me a message to waltmackenzie at gmail.com. I just moved to Wichita and would love to know more abour your setup.

I had the water piping in mind. My entire setup is VERY tall as I want it all gravity fed. The HLT is about 8 ft in the air (hey, I'm a risk taker) so to install a permanent water fixture would be nice.

RiverCity, what do you mean by electric gas valves?

Walt

Old 02-23-2011, 11:58 PM   #6
RiverCityBrewer
Recipes 

Sorry, I'm in Ohio... a far piece from Kansas. By electric gas valves I mean that I use an ignition system (pilot light) and an controller to open and close the gas valves that I installed to each burner. This way I can control the temperature in the mash and HLT by means of a thermometer that reports back to the controller.

These are the valves:

This is the controller and electric distribution:

Old 04-17-2011, 06:59 PM   #7
Mojoe4
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCityBrewer View Post
Sorry, I'm in Ohio... a far piece from Kansas. By electric gas valves I mean that I use an ignition system (pilot light) and an controller to open and close the gas valves that I installed to each burner. This way I can control the temperature in the mash and HLT by means of a thermometer that reports back to the controller.

These are the valves:

This is the controller and electric distribution:
RiverCity I am very curious about the ignition system you use. How does it hook up to the Blichmann burners? Do you have a parts list?

Old 04-17-2011, 10:22 PM   #8
RiverCityBrewer
Recipes 

Right now for the ignition system I use a standing pilot light... I think they are honeywell furnace pilots. I mounted them to the burner using safety wire and I have yet to have to make any changes to them. The only downside is that they are pretty loud and blow out rather easily, so I might be changing up to something different.

Old 04-18-2011, 05:48 PM   #9
Mojoe4
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

It would be cool to automate the burners but that might be a little over my know how.

Old 06-11-2011, 04:06 PM   #10
Nwalesmith
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCityBrewer View Post
I've owned one for several months now and its great... as for mods I've automated with electric gas valves to light burners, temperature control, and automatic pump starting/stopping using a BCS-460.

Mine is built to be as close to a single tier as possible, and for future mods I am planning on making a permanent mount point for the counter-flow chiller and water filter, and hard plumbing a water line with multiple outs so I can have multiple water hook-ups nearby. Let me know if there is anything in particular you are interested in.

Joe
This may be a really dumb question, but I am going to ask it anyways. Did you have to take apart your burner to get the fuel intake arm pointing in the right direction to have two tiers on the same level? I just got my gear and am going to set my stuff up the same way you have.

Quick Reply