New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Blichmann top tier + march pump + therminator configuration help!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2012, 05:02 PM   #21
kedash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Ruffdeezy/julian81/others, I just assembled my TopTier this weekend. I appreciate the pics you posted because that helped me decide on the configuration I wanted to start with. A few questions I have are:

1. Does it get very hot under the high mounted HLT? I am a little concerned about my plastic cooler MLT lid being about 6 inches below the bottom of the burner ring.

2. Where is a good place to purchase the camlocks? Those look very handy. Do the camlocks come with the fittings that attach to the valve on the MLT and Pump etc? If you have a parts list for those, I would really appreciate it. I have the exact same set-up as the two of you.

3. I have never used a March Pump before. Any helpful hints I should be aware of? I current have my "out" pointing straight up because I read on another thread that it operates better in that configuration. Is that how yours is aligned?

Thanks again for your help.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 04:23 PM   #22
WalterAtMarchPump
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 12

ruffdeezy, take the 4 phillips screws out and flip that pump head 180* so the outlet is on the top...will help with priming if you happen to have any issues. The way its setup now with the inlet on top, it traps an air pocket in the pump head even though liquid get inside it. Check out this posting to better explain it
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/short-pump-orientation-mounting-tutorial-306814/

-Walter

Old 04-20-2012, 02:45 PM   #23
julian81
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I no longer own the Top Tier, but I loved it and will answer your questions. I'm now on a single tier, with 2 pump, all electric setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedash View Post
Ruffdeezy/julian81/others, I just assembled my TopTier this weekend. I appreciate the pics you posted because that helped me decide on the configuration I wanted to start with. A few questions I have are:

1. Does it get very hot under the high mounted HLT? I am a little concerned about my plastic cooler MLT lid being about 6 inches below the bottom of the burner ring.
I did not have any issues with the Igloo cooler lid being in close proximity to the HLT burner. It might have gotten warm, but it was never an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedash
2. Where is a good place to purchase the camlocks? Those look very handy. Do the camlocks come with the fittings that attach to the valve on the MLT and Pump etc? If you have a parts list for those, I would really appreciate it. I have the exact same set-up as the two of you.
I purchased mine all from proflowdynamics.com but bargainfittings.com also sells them

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedash
3. I have never used a March Pump before. Any helpful hints I should be aware of? I current have my "out" pointing straight up because I read on another thread that it operates better in that configuration. Is that how yours is aligned?
Like Walter stated above, unscrew the front housing, and rotate it around so that the outlet is positioned at 12 o'clock and the inlet at 6 o'clock. That is the configuration I had on my top tier, and I had absolutely no issues with priming or pumping.

Hope this helps!

Julian

Old 04-21-2012, 05:52 AM   #24
ruffdeezy
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Hey

It does get a bit hot, when I use my big mash tun and am heating the the sparge water i put some foil on to of the mash tun or on the bottom of the top burner so the mash tun doesn't get too hot. Not a huge issue.

I bought most of my camlocks from bargainfittings.com. Farmhouse brewing supply has them too. Actually most places have them now. Bargainfittings is probably the best.

March pumps are super easy, just let them fill up with liquid before turning it on. Maybe wait 10 seconds after letting the liquid flow into it. I was a little worried the first time, but I just watch a couple youtube videos on them before giving it a go. Just practice with water for a while first.

Old 04-21-2012, 06:45 AM   #25
zmurda
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

this is how i have my top tier setup

Old 04-21-2012, 06:48 AM   #26
zmurda
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

i have yet to brew on it but really looking foward to it.

Old 04-21-2012, 12:58 PM   #27
kedash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks Julian81, Ruffdeezy and zmurda. I appreciate the help.

I ended up going with the Blichmann fittings because they have that ring around them that won't get hot.

Here is a picture of my Blichmann TopTier assembled. I haven't ordered the Therminator yet, but I plan to. Until then I can just keep using my immersion chiller.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:56 PM   #28
julian81
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Lookin good kedash!

Old 05-09-2012, 05:59 AM   #29
Nwalesmith
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Here are a couple of pictures of my rig. I love brewing, but putting it together has been fun as well.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:22 PM   #30
kedash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks! I just ordered a sight glass from Bobby (Brewhardware.com). That will be going on the HLT. Also, the fittings and valves etc. to get the March Pump up and running arrive tomorrow. I am looking forward to my next brew session.

Quote:
Originally Posted by julian81 View Post
Lookin good kedash!

Quick Reply