The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Blichmann Modular Brewing Stand "Top Tier" (spring 09)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2009, 03:21 PM   #21
chuckger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irrenarzt View Post
Is that Minitec t-slot or 8020?
Its Faztek.

Too busy brewing to keep a log here....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2009, 11:06 PM   #22
chuckger
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

ok I have one burner mounted and the water line is about half way done. I an witing until the top tier is complete to finish the water line so that I know haw high to make it and I don't have my water filter system yet. Any way here is the latest progress.

Brewtree with burner.

View from the rop.

With kettle.

And I know most of you have probably seen a banjo burner lit btu today was the first time for me so here it is.

SO what do you think?

Old 10-17-2009, 11:15 PM   #23
jds

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts

That's very nice, and similar to what I'm thinking for when I get around to building a stand.

I've had the chance to see the Blichmann Top Tier system in action, up close and personal, when brewing with another HBT member who has one. It's well-designed and put together. For the time and $$ I'll probably spend putting together a stand out of 80/20, it's probably a decent trade-off.

Old 10-17-2009, 11:22 PM   #24
chuckger
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I hear you, I like to tinker around and have something in the end that is exactly what I wanted so I like to build stuff. When it is all said and done I will have plenty of cash wrapped up in this stand, but not near as much as a Top Tier, and I will have a plate chiller, cold water circulation pump, pre chiller, march beer pump, tree tier all grain setup and all the hose and fitting I need to effeciently brew a batch with little wasted time and still be below what a Top Tier with one burner would run you. I like the Top Tier design except for the legs, they look a little cheesy to me but that is just my oppinion. Thanks for the comments!

Old 10-18-2009, 10:59 PM   #25
JVD_X
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

OK - I was going to sit this one out but I have to admit - I bought a Blichmann stand. Why? WHY? you say...

1) I don't have welding skills and could not (honestly -could not find one) find someone to do it.

2) I simply didn't want to spend my brewing weekends building equipment - I would rather brew.

3) I like the modularity... I can make it single tier or gravity...

Here are some pics...

dsc_0657.jpg   dsc_0653.jpg  

- JVD_X

Old 10-18-2009, 11:04 PM   #26
beerocd
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVD_X View Post
OK - I was going to sit this one out but I have to admit - I bought a Blichmann stand.
Here are some pics...
Aren't you the peristaltic pump fan? You've got a 3 tier, so the pump is just for transfers post-fermentation?

-OCD

Due to recent economic crisis, stock market crash, budget cuts, and the rising cost of everything including taxes: "The Light at the End of The Tunnel" has been turned off.

Old 10-19-2009, 12:53 AM   #27
mvdilts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

chuckger where did you get the Faztec?

Old 10-19-2009, 01:21 AM   #28
JVD_X
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerocd View Post
Aren't you the peristaltic pump fan? You've got a 3 tier, so the pump is just for transfers post-fermentation?

-OCD
Yes and no. I built it in a three tier because I wanted the flexibility with playing around with simple gravity. My RIMS blowing up two weeks ago got me thinking that I might not want to use pumps at all.

With that said. I plan on putting the HERMS coil on the third tier and pumping to the top of the coil so the mash fluid self-drains back into the middle tier. Of course, the bottom tier will be for the BK.

Also, I am getting very interested in doing some decotion, so at some point I can change my configuration. In fact, there is no reason why I could not add another two burners, or stands on the side there is nothing right now.

- JVD_X

Old 10-19-2009, 04:19 AM   #29
chuckger
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

1) I don't have welding skills and could not (honestly -could not find one) find someone to do it.

I did not weld a single stitch of this badboy, I also do not have a wleder and I don't have time to find one or the money to pay one.

2) I simply didn't want to spend my brewing weekends building equipment - I would rather brew.

I have only spent about 12 hours actually building this and about 8 hours drawing blueprints and researching parts.

I totally understand your points but I could not get the CFO to sign off on a Top Tier and I wanted one so bad I could taste it so I just starting drawing and buying pieces here and there and this is what I have come up with so far. I plan to add a second burner in the near future, went the funds are present... and a gas manifold will come with the burner because the second will be a smaller burner and will require a lower pressure regulator so I will make a cool manifold with seperate shutoffs and what not..

I built the self for the mash tun to day, pics are below. I also decided to try it out so I ground up some grain that I had in the closet and made a belated Oktoberfast tonight. I cannot believe how that banjo burner boils 6 gallons of wort! WOW!

Also I do not have a sheet metal brake so I used a piece of angle iron and a hammer to make the 90 degree edges which adds strength and takes care of those nasty sharp corners.

Here is the shelf I built.

Here is the first go around an the new BEERTREE! That is what I am calling it, I thought it was both obvious and fitting!

Last edited by chuckger; 10-19-2009 at 01:46 PM.

Old 10-19-2009, 04:25 AM   #30
chuckger
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvdilts View Post
chuckger where did you get the Faztec?
Here is the link for the Faztek T-slot. http://www.faztek.net/
If the website is not informative enough just give them a call and the will help you. Everyone that I spoke with was very nice and helpful, shipping was fast too. Also there is a company that is taking apart a semiconductor plant and selling the used parts on fleabay, just seach t-slot or 8020. The really cool thing is that all of the companies that make this stuff; their parts enterchange completely, so it works out nice if you find a few pieces on fleabay that will work then you can buy the rest from Faztek.

Last edited by chuckger; 10-19-2009 at 01:50 PM.

Quick Reply