Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Blichmann kettle - worth it?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2014, 10:46 AM   #1
joshrosborne
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Default Blichmann kettle - worth it?

So, I am in the market for a new 15gl kettle to able to do 10gl batches at times. I know Blichmann is considered top of the class, but I'm trying to figure out whether the improved quality is worth the cost.

Whatever I buy, a ball valve will be a must. A sight glass or volume etchings are next on my want list. Since I won't be using it for a mash tun, a thermometer would be nice, but isn't super essential. Other things that would be nice are cool to the touch handles, a good proportion of vertical to horizontal size so I can keep boil off under control, and a generally high quality build.

Any recommendations?

Primary:
Secondary/Aging: ECY01 Sour #1, ECY01 Sour #2, Jamil's sweet stout with raspberries
In bottles: Mango sour, Lambic, Brett tripel, Sour brown, Brett L/B Porter
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Nelson Sauvin saison, Two Hearted clone

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2014, 10:51 AM   #2
joshrosborne
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Oh yeah, the other thing I would be interested in is welded ports so I have less to worry about with leaking and wobbling of the valve.

Primary:
Secondary/Aging: ECY01 Sour #1, ECY01 Sour #2, Jamil's sweet stout with raspberries
In bottles: Mango sour, Lambic, Brett tripel, Sour brown, Brett L/B Porter
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Nelson Sauvin saison, Two Hearted clone

Old 08-20-2014, 10:53 AM   #3
bikesandbrews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Maybe look into a stout tank. they are comparably priced as well

https://conical-fermenter.com/15-Gallon-Brew-Kettle-with-Thermowell-and-Thermometer.html

Old 08-20-2014, 01:17 PM   #4
dk21
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Blichmann kettles are completely worth the cost in my opinion. Mine has served me well as a boil kettle. The calibrated sight glass is really useful. No need to make and use a dip stick. The thermometer isn't necessary for the boil kettle, but I have found it useful to be able to glance over to get an idea of when the hot break is going to start so I can stop doing other things and be on the lookout for a boil over.

Old 08-20-2014, 01:27 PM   #5
Minbari
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I am sure they are nice, but I got the 10 gallon version of this and an complettely happy with it. 1mm stainless and 2 welded ports.

http://morebeer.com/products/14-gallon-stainless-brew-kettle.html

Quick Reply