Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Blichmann Floor Burner

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2012, 03:10 AM   #1
ArcticBear
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Blichmann Floor Burner

I previously had a thread trying to decide which burner to buy after my el cheapo gifto freebie junky turkey fryer burner kicked its last keg. Since my birthday and christmas are coming up, the rents decided to fund the purchase of a new Blichmann burner...i was a bit skeptical on it due to price, and did have an issue tonight with my propane tank being too cold in the beginning (5 minutes in a tub with hot water and it was fine for the rest of the night) but let me say one thing about this beaut...

My average time previously with my other burner for my AG brewing, given the most flawless brew day was around 5.5ish hours...5 if it was a small beer and everything was on point...

Well i started heating my strike water tonight at 6pm and was doughed in by 6:15. I mashed for an hour, batch sparged and ran a 60 minute boil... I was washing my kettle by 9:45-10pm. I use a plate chiller and had my kettle open full bore and had to slow my hose water because it was coming out from a full boil to under 58*. (i also use a blichmann therminator)

This was my fastest brew day by far and the only changed variable is the blichmann burner...even if its a little heavy of LP consumption (which i wont know for another batch or two), it was well worth every penny...

Heres my $0.02, take it or leave it...im hardly a fanboy but they make good products. They are certainly expensive but apparently its for a reason....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 03:18 AM   #2
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 473 Times on 418 Posts
Likes Given: 266

I love both my Blichmann burners. I put the longer legs on one, so that I can more easily run the chilled wort into the fermenter. I'm looking forward to my coming brew day where I'll be brewing in the basement (getting a sink installed as well as setting up an exhaust hood, with high flow fan, through one of the windows in the basement, maybe 3' away).

I've found, in the summer time, I can use far less propane with the Blichmann burners that I did with my KAB4. Plus the housing on the burner does a great job of supporting keggles, letting you center them without much effort time and again. Also, if I'm not fighting strong winds (happened with the last two brew days) things go much smoother. Which is another reason I'm moving inside.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine
mjrodney Likes This 
Old 11-27-2012, 03:56 AM   #3
ArcticBear
Recipes 

I actually had the 5.5 gallon stout i brewed tonight boil over a 15.5 gallon keggle because it went to a boil so fast there was nowhere for the hot break to dissipate to... comical, with a friend with the mash paddle and a garden hose (he didnt know it was turned off) and me sprinting to grab the bull semen....err i mean fermcap s. didnt quite get any in the keggle in time before it boiled over some...we didnt care, i RDWHAHB and kept going... Super stoked about how tonight turned out

Old 11-27-2012, 04:02 AM   #4
Golddiggie
Recipes 

I think you had the propane cranked up really high there. I don't go that high, since it seems to waste propane. Plus, I don't like to have the metal of the burner frame (or the keggle) glowing cherry red.

I usually have the fermcap on standy IF I'm going to be close to the top of the keggle. Typically, if I have over 12 gallons going in, I have it on hand. Otherwise, I don't need it.

Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 11-27-2012, 10:31 AM   #5
ArcticBear
Recipes 

We had it set to where the flame was high enough right before it started licking over the sides of either the HLT or the brew keggle...the pot support stands had a bright red on them after a few minutes, but it was also a beautiful big blue flame so i can imagine it was hot... I wasnt going for propane efficiency last night, it was the first time running it and we wanted to see what it could do. Needless to say im happy about it

Old 11-27-2012, 03:05 PM   #6
Golddiggie
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticBear View Post
We had it set to where the flame was high enough right before it started licking over the sides of either the HLT or the brew keggle...the pot support stands had a bright red on them after a few minutes, but it was also a beautiful big blue flame so i can imagine it was hot... I wasnt going for propane efficiency last night, it was the first time running it and we wanted to see what it could do. Needless to say im happy about it
I don't run mine that high. I don't like seeing the stand get that red/hot nor have the flames that high. Plus, with keggles, I have the bottom skirt helping to direct/contain the heat.

Fermenting
K1:

Old 02-12-2013, 03:41 AM   #7
Nagorg
If a frog had wings...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I brewed my first batch on my shiny new Blichmann Floor Burner this weekend. I have to say that it kicked some serious wort boiling booty! I had to dial it back to keep the wort in my kettle! That's one bad mamma jamma burner!

Cant wait to use it with my new kettle from Spike Brewing when it arrives!!

Old 02-27-2013, 03:04 PM   #8
Legdog
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Mine shipped from Midwest Supplies without all the parts.

(nuts and bolts, spring, air dampner screw and orifice fitting)

Midwest's "live chat" eventually got back to me with the following:

"Since this item is kept and shipped from Blichmann, we are going to have to create a claim through them to get you your replacement parts. It may take a little time, but we can get them for you."

Ugh

I have been searching the forum to see if this is a common problem with Blichmann quality control but apparently I'm just the lucky one.

I even tried to post on the Blichmann set up video on youtube but it does not allow commentary.

Old 02-27-2013, 03:27 PM   #9
Golddiggie
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legdog View Post
Mine shipped from Midwest Supplies without all the parts.

(nuts and bolts, spring, air dampner screw and orifice fitting)

Midwest's "live chat" eventually got back to me with the following:

"Since this item is kept and shipped from Blichmann, we are going to have to create a claim through them to get you your replacement parts. It may take a little time, but we can get them for you."

Ugh

I have been searching the forum to see if this is a common problem with Blichmann quality control but apparently I'm just the lucky one.

I even tried to post on the Blichmann set up video on youtube but it does not allow commentary.
Just reach out to Blichmann (via the web site) and tell him what happened... Chances are, the missing parts will be shipped to you without issue. I've had solid results when communicating with them...

Fermenting
K1:

Old 02-27-2013, 04:00 PM   #10
Legdog
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
Just reach out to Blichmann (via the web site) and tell him what happened... Chances are, the missing parts will be shipped to you without issue. I've had solid results when communicating with them...
Thanks for the tip... I'm at an office computer and the link you posted does not work properly. Apparently there are sections blocked.

I did look there initially but thought it just wasn't possible.

I'll be sure to check again from my un-blocked computer at home.

Quick Reply